The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch…

The Five People You Meet in Heaven (original 2003; edition 2003)

by Mitch Albom

Eddie awakes in the afterlife, where he learns that heaven is not a destination. It's a place where your life is explained to you by five people, some of whom you knew, others who may have been strangers. One by one, from childhood to soldier to old age, Eddie's five people revisit their connections to him on earth, illuminating the mysteries of his "meaningless" life, and revealing the haunting secret behind the eternal question: "Why was I here?"… (more)
Member:kristinhays
Title:The Five People You Meet in Heaven
Authors:Mitch Albom
Info:Hyperion (2003), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 198 pages
Rating:***
Tags:books of 2010

The Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch Albom (2003)

English (357)  German (4)  Spanish (3)  French (2)  Hungarian (1)  Dutch (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (369)
Writing: 4.5; Theme: 5.0; Content: 4.0; Language: 3.0; Overall: 4.0; Very good writing by Mitch Albom. This is the second book that I have read from this author. The theme of this volume is quite interesting- a man who goes to heaven and visits five people who were greatly affected by his life. This was an inspirational tome, however, the Bible teaches that only those who have been born-again will enter into heaven (and the author gave no indication that Eddie had made this commitment in his life). This volume also unfortunately used God's name in vain on one occasion and also used at least 10-15 additional vulgarities. Recommend with caution due to the above problems. ***October 9, 2020*** ( )
  jntjesussaves | Oct 9, 2020 |

"Learn this from me. Holding anger is a poison. It eats you from inside. We think that hating is a weapon that attacks the person who harmed us. But hatred is a curved blade. And the harm we do, we do to ourselves." ( )
  jocelynchu | Aug 30, 2020 |
A wonderful little book which deals with issues which philosophers have struggled with for centuries. What is life's purpose? How connected are we to the people we encounter? and and how do we overcome regrets? The book may be considered quite simplistic but it is still a very moving and insightful tale ( )
  dolly22 | Jul 9, 2020 |

I love this book. One of the rare ones I can honestly give 5 stars to.This book changed my life. ( )
  VavaViolet | Apr 24, 2020 |
Eddie dies and goes to Heaven, where 5 people reveal to him the reason things happened in his life. ( )
  LindaLeeJacobs | Feb 15, 2020 |
''The Five People You Meet in Heaven'' can be reduced to a string of.. reassuring verities and a list of who Eddie's five people turn out to be... But that would do an injustice to a book with the genuine power to stir and comfort its readers.

This book is dedicated to Edward Beitchman, my beloved uncle, who gave me my first concept of heaven. Every year, around the Thanksgiving table, he spoke of a night in the hospital when he awoke to see the souls of his departed loved ones sitting on the edge of the bed, waiting for him. I never forgot that story. And I never forgot him.
Everyone has an idea of heaven, as do most religions, and they should all be respected. The version represented here is only a guess, a wish, in some ways, that my uncle, and others like him--people who felt unimportant here on earth--realize, finally, how much they mattered and how they were loved.
This is a story about a man named Eddie and it begins at the end, with Eddie dying in the sun.
Holding anger is a poison. It eats you from the inside. We think that hating is a weapon that attacks the person who harmed us. But hatred is a curved blade. And the harm we do, we do to ourselves.
All parents damage their children. It cannot be helped. Youth, like pristine glass, absorbs the prints of its handlers. Some parents smudge, others crack, a few shatter childhoods completely into jagged little pieces, beyond repair.
There are no random acts...We are all connected...You can no more separate one life from another than you can separate a breeze from the wind...
Love like rain, can nourish from above, drenching couples with soaking joy. But sometimes, under the angry heat of life, love dries on the surface and must nourish from below, tending to its roots, keeping itself alive.
This is the greatest gift God can give you: to understand what happened in your life. To have it explained. It is the peace you have been searching for.

On his 83rd birthday a man dies trying to save a little girl. He wakes up in heaven, where a succession of five people are waiting to show him the true meaning and value of his life.

Poolbeg Press

An edition of this book was published by Poolbeg Press.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,821,649 books! | Top bar: Always visible