Mammoths at the Gates (The Singing Hills…

Mammoths at the Gates (The Singing Hills Cycle Book 4) (edition 2023)

by Nghi Vo (Author)

22419122,819 (4.28)17
The wandering Cleric Chih returns home to the Singing Hills Abbey for the first time in almost three years, to be met with both joy and sorrow. Their mentor, Cleric Thien, has died, and rests among the archivists and storytellers of the storied abbey. But not everyone is prepared to leave them to their rest. Because Cleric Thien was once the patriarch of Coh clan of Northern Bell Pass--and now their granddaughters have arrived on the backs of royal mammoths, demanding their grandfather's body for burial. Chih must somehow balance honoring their mentor's chosen life while keeping the sisters from the north from storming the gates and destroying the history the clerics have worked so hard to preserve. But as Chih and their neixin Almost Brilliant navigate the looming crisis, Myriad Virtues, Cleric Thien's own beloved hoopoe companion, grieves her loss as only a being with perfect memory can, and her sorrow may be more powerful than anyone could anticipate.… (more)
Member:leahsusan
Title:Mammoths at the Gates (The Singing Hills Cycle Book 4)
Authors:Nghi Vo (Author)
Info:Tordotcom (2023), 123 pages

Work Information

Mammoths at the Gates by Nghi Vo

Recently added byprivate library, tamaranth, calvson, JudithL31, Matt_B, leslie.emery, false-knight, wyvernfriend

English (18)  French (1)  All languages (19)
"but what was your grandfather to you but a thousand stories told over and over again?"
The fourth book in Vo's Singing Hills cycle about a traveling monk and their talking bird collecting stories, and the third that I have read; in this one they return to their monastery but find out things have changed in their absence. I find that these books err too much on the side of "contemplative" for my tastes. It took an awful long time for me to figure out what the idea of the book actually was. I can see why other people might find them interesting, but I usually do not, and this was no exception.
  Stevil2001 | Jul 6, 2024 |
I was largely lost in this story of dealing with loss, it was interesting but in some ways left me cold. ( )
  wyvernfriend | Jul 3, 2024 |
The glimpse into Singing Hills was delectable. Vo takes multiple storytellers and makes them the main characters in their own plots- then gives us tempting little glimpses into them. It's amazing how much world gets crammed into these stories, and every little piece we uncover with Chih leaves me wanting more. ( )
  ravenzer | Jul 2, 2024 |
This is a short read, and it's kind. That's the best word I have for this story and its setting -- there's a very grounded human kindness and compassion woven through it. I love the Singing Hills Abbey setting, and the non-binary monks, and the birds that remember everything. Recommended for fans of [[Becky Chambers]]'s [[[Monk & Robot]]] series. ( )
  lavaturtle | Jun 13, 2024 |
'At the same time, lean is not the same as lacking. The characters are effectively depicted. Their motivations, while not necessarily reasonable, are plausible. The dilemma is engaging. Readers will care about the outcome. I wanted an enjoyable hour or two of reading, and that is exactly what I got.'

Nghi Voprimary authorall editionscalculated
Foeckler, CJAuthor photosecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Foltzer, ChristineCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Winans, AlyssaCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

to the Mulroney family
'--and that was how we got the moon back up the mountain and into the sky, and no one was ever the wiser.'
[Tui In Hao is arguing with the neixin Cleverness Himself, who has told her that she is trespassing.]

'I am an advocate of the empire, escorted by a detachment of the southern regiment and traveling on legal business. There is no land on this continent where I am a trespasser.'

'Wrong again,' Cleverness Himself trilled. 'Singing Hills stands on old promises made by greater than any you have ever spoken with, and it will stand long after you are gone.' (chapter 3)

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,347,446 books! | Top bar: Always visible