Wannabe a Writer?

by Jane Wenham-Jones

Foreword by KATIE FFORDE Contributors include Writers: Frederick Forsyth, Ian Rankin, Jilly Cooper & Jill Mansell Publishers: Harper Collins, Hodder Headline, Simon & Schuster Journalists: Miles Kington, Michael Bywater, Robert Crampton Agents: Teresa Chris, Simon Trewin,  Jonathan Lloyd & Jane Judd Wannabe a Writer? This hilarious, informative guide to getting into print, is a must-have for anyone who's ever thought they've got a book in them. Where do you start? How do you finish? And will anyone ever publish it when you have? Drawing on her own experiences as a novelist and journalist, Writing Magazine's Agony Aunt Jane Wenham-Jones takes you through the minefield of the writing process, giving advice on everything from how to avoid Writer's Bottom to what to wear to your launch party. Including hot tips from authors, agents and publishers at the sharp end of the industry, Wannabe a Writer? tells you everything you ever wanted to know about the book world - and a few things you didn't...… (more)

Rather different to this average book about writing, this one is full of anecdotes, humour - some of it rather risque - and a great deal of advice to drink heavily and eat a lot of chocolate. Clearly not all to be taken seriously, but I found it very readable and quite inspiring in places. The author doesn't try to inflate her experiences or suggest that getting published is just a matter of hard slog and brilliance; nor does she focus on layouts or grammar or even how to construct plots. Instead she looks at reasons why people might become writers, and suggests pretty much any outlet (greetings cards, film strips, restaurant critiques...) rather than producing a novel.

Then there's some general good advice to those who are determined to go ahead, punctuated with more anecdotes and suggestions, and then a brief overview of how to get published. Perhaps. I read the first half over just a few days before getting a bit bogged down in the final chapters, not realising (since my version was a Kindle freebie) that the end of the book is simply pages and pages of quotations about writing from other writers. I read the first twenty or so then got bored, and skipped through the rest.

Worth perusing for anyone who is interested in an honest, often self-deprecating account of the life of a writer, with some humour, some bad language, and much that should be taken with a huge pinch of salt. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
I really want to like this book, but it was just another rah rah you can do it craft book. I didn't feel like I learned any new tips. ( )
  annertan | Jul 31, 2014 |
I enjoyed this book as well as gaining quite a few tips from it. It wasn't the meaningless manufactured slog that you usually get from books about writing. Not only did it engage you as if you were a friend, it provided tips on various areas of writing and the stages after that. I recommend it for anyone else who might be starting out as a writer. ( )
  RebeccaClareSmith | Jan 24, 2014 |
This is very different to any other ho to writing book I've read as it is full of great inside info but is also terribly funny. Jane Wenham-Jones reveals the tortured path to getting published and has top tips from leading names in the industry. Highly reccomended! ( )
  Bookbox | May 13, 2007 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 162,325,698 books! | Top bar: Always visible