The Last Disciple: Crisis in Jerusalem by…

The Last Disciple: Crisis in Jerusalem (edition 2022)

by Kurt Brouwer (Author)

Info:Kurt Brouwer (2022), 270 pages
Rating:*****

Work Information

The Last Disciple: Crisis in Jerusalem by Kurt Brouwer

Where do the disciples turn in the tumultuous aftermath of Jesus Christ’s crucifixion? Kurt Brouwer’s gripping narrative, “The Last Disciple: Crisis in Jerusalem,” delves into this question with masterful storytelling and rich historical detail. Set in the bustling streets of Jerusalem thirty years after the crucifixion, the novel immerses readers in a world rife with tension, intrigue, and the eternal struggle between faith and power.

From the very first pages, Brouwer’s narrative prowess captivates, drawing readers into a vividly depicted landscape of ancient Jerusalem. Against this backdrop, a tale unfolds that pulses with urgency and relevance, even in our modern times. The characters, particularly the youngest disciple, John, are rendered with depth and nuance, breathing life into familiar figures from Biblical lore.

What sets “The Last Disciple” apart is Brouwer’s meticulous attention to historical detail. While the narrative takes certain liberties, Brouwer adeptly weaves these elements into a tapestry that feels authentic and respectful of Biblical truths. The result is a story that feels both familiar and fresh, offering readers a new perspective on a pivotal moment in history.

Central to the narrative is the theme of crisis and conflict. Jerusalem, a city on the brink of chaos, becomes a microcosm of the human condition, where faith and doubt collide amidst the tumult of political upheaval. Yet, amidst the darkness, there are moments of healing and redemption, underscoring the resilience of the human spirit.

Brouwer’s storytelling prowess shines brightest in his ability to craft a narrative that is as engaging as it is thought-provoking. “The Last Disciple” is a book that lingers in the mind long after the final page is turned, inviting readers to ponder the timeless themes it explores.

For those who enjoy Biblically-based fiction, “The Last Disciple: Crisis in Jerusalem” is a must-read. It is a testament to the enduring power of storytelling to illuminate the human experience and the eternal quest for meaning in a world fraught with uncertainty. Dive into its pages and embark on a journey through the ancient heart of Jerusalem, where every twist and turn holds the promise of revelation and redemption.

So, if you are looking for Christian Historical Fiction, check out The Last Disciple: Crisis in Jerusalem by Kurt Brouwer.

I received a complimentary copy of this book, but this in no way influenced my review. All opinions are my own. ( )
  PattiP1992 | Apr 21, 2024 |
The Last Disciple: Crisis in Jerusalem by Kurt Brouwer explores the Biblical times following the death of Jesus Christ and John. the youngest disciple. The author creates a story that appears well-researched. The storyline is well-developed. I also appreciated the way Kurt Brouwer developed the characters.

Thirty years after the crucifixion of Jesus Christ, Jerusalem explodes in violence. From the very first pages of this book, you will be drawn into the story. Including tension, healing, and more, this book will keep you reading. This story sets the stage for an excellent new story. While the author does take a few liberties in this book, overall he did an excellent job staying true to Biblical truths.

If you enjoy Biblically-based works of fiction, check out this book for yourself.

PattiP1992 | Jan 17, 2023 |
As with many Biblical fiction books, the author may take a few liberties while telling the story. This book does have some of that but overall the author stayed true to the facts. It is clear from the writing that the author did intense research for the book and I thought it was impressive.

The story is hard to read at times due to the violence that was there but it was important to understand that during this time period that was something that almost seemed natural to them. I enjoyed following John as he tries to honor what Jesus had asked him to do. In the story it talks about “our primary duty is to serve God.” It also says for us to “give allegiance to our earthly rulers.” We are commanded by God to obey those in authority in the country. As with John, it is sometimes hard to obey when we don’t fully agree with the ones in charge.

One of the things I really liked about the story was the emphasis that John was to go out and share Jesus with others. We are called to do the same thing. It is time to get out of our comfort zone and go out to the people and witness to them. Share His love, help those in need and love unconditionally.

I thought the book was good even though there were a few things that perhaps weren’t from the story in the Bible. The author didn’t stray too far from facts which I appreciated.

I received a copy of this book from Celebrate Lit. The review is my own opinion. ( )
  Harley0326 | Jan 12, 2023 |
Wow. The Last Disciple: Crisis in Jerusalem is an incredible read! It’s been some time since I’ve been so enveloped and invested in a story that I simply couldn’t stop reading. I enjoyed this more than I expected. The narrative is mesmerizing, the descriptions are so vivid that it’s as if a movie played in my mind, and I experienced countless emotions.

The first chapter has such tension that it had me reading quickly. I felt the heartbreak emanating from John, I felt the outrage and anger from Bartholomew. Thankfully, the tension eased for a bit in the next chapter, but the emotions and interest never faded, and the tension continued its climb again until the end.

I highly recommend this skillfully written story of love, trust, obedience, and hope. This fictional story of John, the last disciple of Christ, is an absorbing, sobering, and compelling story with a framework of people and events during Biblical times. I'm looking forward to reading more in this series.

#CoverLoverBookReview received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions are 100% mine. ( )
  CoverLoverBookReview | Dec 29, 2022 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,014,955 books! | Top bar: Always visible