Jack: A Life of C. S. Lewis (1988)

by George Sayer

Numerous biographies have been written about this great theologian, literary critic, and novelist, but we have found this to be the best. Sayer describes Lewis' early years, hinting at childhood evidence of the brilliance and eccentricity that would later become Lewis' hallmarks. He discusses Lewis' academic career, his life-transforming conversion to Christianity, and the role of religion in his life. With honesty and compassion, he covers Lewis' controversial relationship with Mrs. Moore and his passionate marriage to Joy Davidman.… (more)

Probably the most balanced biography of Lewis that I've ever read. Most articles and books about him are a rave from beginning to end, but this takes his flaws and mistakes into account, whilst still portraying a very loving picture of one of the most influential men of our times. ( )
  FaithBurnside | Aug 17, 2022 |
This is right in my venn diagram including the following elements: English schools and universities, 1898 to post-war, Narnia. The Christian stuff doesn't bother me either, avoid if it gets up your nose. I read a lot of C.S. Lewis in late high school when I was trying on Christianity. I really enjoyed reading the biography over the past week. The first half of the book especially is presented in lots of location detail and more objectivity than I expected from the author who was Lewis's student, personal friend and fellow believer. There was too much for me on individual poems and their critical reception (English literature was a *very* small place early in the 20th c.) I am less interested in Lewis's moral arguments than earlier in life. Also, sadly, the author gets drawn into a no-win argument about when Lewis's late marriage was consummated. Still it was a good visit with an old friend. He was a strong flavor and I'm glad to spend a little more time with him. ( )
  Je9 | Aug 10, 2021 |
1994
  TheNelsonLibrary | Aug 3, 2020 |
Just finished this bio of C. S. Lewis. Succinctly put this is simply superb. I could not put it down. It races along like a steed in a steeplechase. Thoroughly intimate with much that is not disclosed by Lewis himself in say, Surprised by Joy, this book fills in the gaps and more. Delicious details abound and some remarkable elements are forthrightly expressed.

If one wants to know the authentic Lewis, or Jack as known to Sayer, and all his close friends, this is the book. Do not miss this one! A true gem! ( )
  Theodore.Zachariades | Oct 28, 2016 |
Sayer was a pal of Lewis. He offers many insights into Lewis' world. This is a good read ... but, beware, I'm a huge fan of C.S. Lewis and have read a few biographys about him. ( )
  trek520 | Dec 7, 2015 |
To my wife
Margaret
Foreword [by Lyle W. Dorsett]
It has been nearly a quarter of a century since I first met George Sayer.
Preface:
Our First Meeting
Mr. Lewis, sir?" said Kirby, the omniscient head porter of Magdalen College, Oxford.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,185,202 books! | Top bar: Always visible