Babe in the Woods:: Building a Life One Log at a Time

by Yvonne Wakefield

215,252,109 (4)None
At age eighteen, in 1974, Yvonne sets out to build a home from trees on eighty acres she's bought on an Oregon mountainside. Log by log she creates a cabin and heals from an orphaned past, finding a new family in the forest and with people in a valley named John Day. This true story of one woman's survival in the wilderness puts an honest and gritty face on the fantasy of living alone in the forest. Readers of My Side of the Mountain and Wild-and fans of Pilgrim at Tinker Creek and Walden alike-will eagerly follow along on the journey through this candid, revealing account. Babe in the Woods includes original artwork and ledgers, further authenticating the construction of this three-story log cabin built by hand from trees on land Yvonne still owns today. It is the first in a three-book series about her relationship with woodsy things in a place of risk and isolation but also peace, quiet beauty, and repose.… (more)
Recently added bybookescapest, EllenHSwiger

No tags

Babe in the Woods intrigued me from the first time I heard about it. I live in Oregon, not too far away from John Day, where Yvonne Wakefield starts the life she has dreamed about. As a child who was orphaned at a young age, she has had the idea of living in the mountains on her own land in her own log home. She sets off with her inheritance to achieve that dream. Along the way she meets a cast of characters who become like her family in a way.

I found the in's and out's of her process and all the experiences that she had on the mountain very interesting. It sort of just ended and I am looking forward to seeing how the story continues of Yvonne's journey. There seems like there is so much there to learn. I wish that I could have learned more about her upbringing and family, but I understand that this is her journey and she was trying to stay focused on the building of the log cabin. I can only imagine the loneliness and vulnerability she must have experienced. ( )
  bookescapest | Oct 17, 2023 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,459,447 books! | Top bar: Always visible