Among the Free by Margaret Peterson Haddix

Among the Free (2006)

by Margaret Peterson Haddix

I'm glad I eventually finished the series, even though book 5, Among the Enemy was painfully monotonous. Perhaps Luke is just a better narrator than Trey, because I wasn't too terribly sick of Luke's introspection. Overall, the series sends a message about the importance of social action and the value of every human life. All of the narrators are so pure in their morality, given that their government had made the choice that they did not have the right to live; every single death is cushioned with judgement about how it was inexcusable and wrong. Time and time again the narrators sacrifice themselves to save the lives of some person with deplorable values and intentions, showing that even cruel dictators pointing a gun in your face should never be killed, even in self-defense. This is a little too simple for me, but parents and teachers (Unitarian ones especially) can feel good about putting this into a child's hands, feeling confident that you may be helping him or her develop into a devout pacifist. At the very least this will help them consider moral, philosophical questions for themselves while simultaneously enjoying a suspenseful escape. The series works for students with average to high reading comprehension.

I recommend the whole series to kids grades 5-8.

engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
  BRCSBooks | Sep 12, 2013 |
I had some problems with the books in this series. They varied from a little under three to above 3-1/2 stars but overall it was a very good story and very well conceived and told. I definitely feel it's more than a worthwhile read. ( )
  Yona | May 2, 2013 |
Not the strongest ending, but still very good. I like how it pulls everyone back together for the end. ( )
  benuathanasia | Sep 9, 2012 |
Among the Free is the last book in the Shadown Children series. I personally think that it was the worst book out of the series, which isn't very good because it is the ending to everything. When I was reading it, I couldn't see how the story was going to end. And then all of a sudden they are all just free. They are all trying to escape and then it was like "where is everyone?" "oh you're free now" "YAYAYAY". So, ya. I didn't particularly like this book, but it wasn't that bad. And the rest of the books in the series is really good. ( )
  Tessa13 | Jan 12, 2012 |

ENOUGH GAMES.

Luke Garner is a third-born in a restrictive society that allows only two children per family. Risking his life, he came out of hiding to fight against the Population Police laws. Now, in the final volume of Margaret Peterson Haddix's suspenseful Shadow Children series, Luke inadvertently sets off a rebellion that results in the overthrow of the government. The people are finally free. But who is in charge now? And will this new freedom be everything they had hoped?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:03 -0400)

When thirteen-year-old Luke Garner unwittingly sets off a rebellion which sweeps the country and ousts the Population Police from power, he quickly realizes that the new regime is corrupt and he may hold the only key to true freedom.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,077,419 books! | Top bar: Always visible