The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

The Great Gatsby (original 1925; edition 2013)

by F. Scott Fitzgerald (Author)

61,738102914 (3.86)3 / 1216
After the Great War, the mysterious Jay Gatsby, a self-made millionaire, pursues wealth, riches and the lady he lost to another man with stoic determination. He buys a mansion across from her house and throws lavish parties to entice her. When Gatsby finally does reunite with Daisy Buchanan, tragic events are set in motion. Told through the eyes of his detached and omnipresent neighbour and friend, Nick Carraway, Fitzgerald's succinct and powerful prose hints at the destruction and tragedy that awaits.… (more)
Member:Sami-Whitt
Title:The Great Gatsby
Authors:F. Scott Fitzgerald (Author)
Info:Scribner (2013), Edition: Media Tie-In, 192 pages

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (1925)

The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway (themephi, sturlington)
    sturlington: Great novels of the Jazz Age.
    Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut (chwiggy)
    Flappers, Flasks and Foul Play by Ellen Mansoor Collier (TomWaitsTables)
    The Red and the Black by Stendhal (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Shady social upstarts rising to prominence in societies dealing with fundamental class upheaval and entertaining romantic aspirations outside their traditional spheres.
    The Green Hat by Michael Arlen (Rebeki)
    Rebeki: Also narrated by a shadowy "outsider" figure and set in the glamorous 1920s.
    Look at Me by Anita Brookner (KayCliff)
    The House of Mirth by Edith Wharton (kara.shamy)
    Garden by the Sea by Mercè Rodoreda (bluepiano)
    bluepiano: Garden by the Sea is set in same period & similar milieu & leaves behind a deeper impression.
    An American Tragedy by Theodore Dreiser (Waldstein)
    Waldstein: Ten times longer, a hundred times harder to read, and a thousand times greater than Fitzgerald's lame and hysterical melodrama. Published only eight months later and nowadays largely forgotten, Dreiser's magnum opus is a much more powerful depiction of the rich and poor in America of the 1920s.… (more)
    Le Grand Meaulnes by Alain-Fournier (mountebank)
    The Spoils of Poynton by Henry James (lottpoet)
    lottpoet: similarly has a peripheral narrator showing rich people behaving badly about some of the strangest things
    The Other Typist by Suzanne Rindell (akblanchard)
    akblanchard: In the afterword of The Other Typist, Suzanne Rindell acknowledges that her work was inspired by The Great Gatsby.
    Trust by Cynthia Ozick (citygirl)
    A Whistling Woman by A. S. Byatt (KayCliff)
    Goodbye to Berlin by Christopher Isherwood (LottaBerling)
    Kleider machen Leute by Gottfried Keller (chwiggy)
    Gentlemen Prefer Blondes by Anita Loos (acceptance)
    acceptance: Two short novels of the Jazz age, published in the same year. Fun to compare the two.
    Linden Hills by Gloria Naylor (lottpoet)
    lottpoet: This book features a well-off family, pillars of the community, taking things to quite tragic lengths. It follows an African-American family and so adds colorism and racism to the mix.
    A Hundred Summers by Beatriz Williams (FFortuna)
    Entitlement by Jonathan Bennett (ShelfMonkey)

Read (3)
1920s (3)

English (973)  Spanish (17)  Italian (10)  French (7)  Swedish (5)  Dutch (3)  German (2)  Catalan (2)  Danish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Norwegian (1)  All languages (1,024)
I wanted to see what all the fuss was about this book. I knew next to nothing of the story. I thought that it was very good - definitely not the usual type of story I like, but was still very interesting. I'm not at all certain why I found it so fascinating, though; but I did nonetheless.
One interesting thing is that since the book was written in the middle of prohibition, there's no direct mention of that fact, like there might be for a book set in that period but written after it. It wasn't until later that I even remembered about prohibition, even though some people believe that Gatsby is a bootlegger. I guess I just totally glossed over what that term meant. Everybody was drinking all the time, and nobody mentioned needing to hide the liquor from the law. It's a great view into a slice of American history that I don't often think about. ( )
  KrakenTamer | Oct 23, 2021 |
The Great Gatsby is a tragic reminder of the broken great American dream in the Jazz Age. The end of World War 1 and the Allied victory ushered in a new age of prosperity in the USA with an active nightlife. Jay Gatsby a former officer in the US Army with a humble background goes from rags to riches by capitalizing on the bootlegging business in the Prohibition era. Gatsby is known for throwing huge parties and a mysterious aura shrouds his newfound wealth but he is motivated by the desire to attain true love.

Although on the surface, the Great Gatsby may come across as a love story, it deals with complex social issues of the time like the disdain of elite for the poor, pragmatism over idealism as Daisy Buchanan decides to remain in an abusive relationship due to her husband's wealth. We are also given a taste of the crushing isolation of the modern world when people who once thronged Gatsby's mansion abandon it and avoid it as if he was a leper. The shallowness of the high class and their apathy are displayed in glorious nakedness.

This is truly a classic and deserves to be on your Must-Read list.
  lubaba.hashmi | Oct 18, 2021 |
Interesting in reading. ( )
  alishkakhan | Oct 18, 2021 |
Edit 5/2/2020
You can still read my original review below but I just wanted to add this the review because I recently spent a whole semester at my university analyzing this book as a part of a multidisciplinary program. We went to a ballet adaptation of the novel, toured St. Paul to see where Fitzgerald grew up, saw and analyzed many different movie adaptations, including an opera version, as well as learn about an off-broadway play adaptation. This program really gave me a new appreciation of a classic that I already enjoyed and I think really demonstrated to me why this book has been a part of high school literature classes and required reading for so long and how prescient it was, both in it’s time and in how it relates to now in our post-2008 funicular crisis world. I know this book isn’t for everyone but I really want to encourage people to pick this us and really think about what this book is saying and how it’s themes still continue to affect all of our lives.

————————————————————————

I genuinely enjoyed this book a lot. I still haven't read a lot of classics and I'm working to change that. This book was written so eloquently all while still delivering an incredibly powerful message about wealth and greed and what can become of obsession and centering your life entirely around another person. It's really incredible that Fitzgerald didn't know the Great Depression was coming when he wrote this novel because he delivers such a strong critique on the focus of society that would lead to the Great Depression. I don't think this book is hopeless however. I don't like that the movie cut out the fact that gatsbys father shows up at his funeral because I think it is a critical part of the message of the novel. Over all I think this book is incredible and has a very important message.

AKBouterse | Oct 14, 2021 |
Poignant. Beautiful language. I can see why it's a classic. A surprising story. I don't know how I hadn't read it before. ( )
  nosborm | Oct 10, 2021 |
The Great Gatsby is a romance novel that written by American Author F.Scott Fitzgerald.This novel is talk about the New Yorker in 1900s.The Great Gatsby is a classic piece of American fiction. It is a novel full of triumph and tragedy.Nick Carraway is the narrator, or storyteller, of The Great Gatsby, but he is not the story's protagonist, or main character. Instead, Jay Gatsby is the protagonist of the novel that bears his name. Tom Buchanan is the book's antagonist, opposing Gatsby's attempts to get what he wants: Tom's wife Daisy.

The weakness of this book is they using the classic languange and a little difficult to understand.The weakness also about Gatsby affection to Daisy,He spends that money on lavish parties in the hopes that she will show up.When she finally spends time with him, for the first time in many years, he naively believes that she will leave Tom for him but,unfortunately she is not.

However,the strength of this book is the writer are using the unique title so the reader are feel sympathy and curious about it, also the characteristic about Jay Gatsby that teach the reader many lesson.

To conclude,this book is the very recommended book,especially High School students because Fitzgerald’s novel is a portal to the savage heart of the human spirit, and wonders at our enormous capacity to dream, to imagine, to hope and to persevere.
added by Billy_Kululu | editMedia Indonesia, Billy Kululu (Dec 2, 2016)

The great Gatsby is truly a romance book like no other.F.SCOTT.Switzgerald describing about the life of New Yorker in 1900s.This novel is very popular many students if high school are required by their teachers to read this book.The narrator of The Great Gatsby is a young man from Minnesota named Nick Carraway. He not only narrates the story but casts himself as the book’s author.As ive read about this book,Gatsby’s personality was nothing short of “gorgeous.”

moreover,the weakness about this book is hard to understand if u are not really pay attention on it.this novel is about a contradiction,Gatsby's idealism makes him blind.He doesn't see that Daisy can't have love and money, just money. Gatsby can't turn back time.He even doesn't see death coming toward him.

However,the strength of this book something quite different from others,it is the charm and beauty of writing,has many important meanings that should be learned early on in life.

To conclude,what i can say is don't be too obsessed just because you have so much money,money ain't last forever.but overall its a magnificent,fantastically, entertaining and enthralling story.
added by Nadilla-Syawie | editThe New York Times, Nadilla Syawie (Dec 1, 2016)

"The Great Gatsby" is in form no more than a glorified anecdote, and not too probable at that

What gives the story distinction is something quite different from the management of the action or the handling of the characters; it is the charm and beauty of the writing.
added by danielx | editChicago Tribune, HL Mencken (Jan 23, 2015)

I find Gatsby aesthetically overrated, psychologically vacant, and morally complacent; I think we kid ourselves about the lessons it contains. None of this would matter much to me if Gatsby were not also sacrosanct.

There is the convoluted moral logic, simultaneously Romantic and Machiavellian, by which the most epically crooked character in the book is the one we are commanded to admire. There’s the command itself: the controlling need to tell us what to think, both in and about the book. There’s the blanket embrace of that great American delusion by which wealth, poverty, and class itself stem from private virtue and vice. There’s Fitzgerald’s unthinking commitment to a gender order so archaic as to be Premodern: corrupt woman occasioning the fall of man. There is, relatedly, the travesty of his female characters—single parenthesis every one, thoughtless and thin. (Don’t talk to me about the standards of his time; the man hell-bent on being the voice of his generation was a contemporary of Dorothy Parker, Gertrude Stein, and Virginia Woolf, not to mention the great groundswell of activists who achieved the passage of the Nineteenth Amendment. Yet here he is in A Short Autobiography: “Women learn best not from books or from their own dreams but from reality and from contact with first-class men.”)
added by danielx | editVulture, Kathryn Schultz (Jul 4, 2013)

It is an impressive accomplishment. And yet, apart from the restrained, intelligent, beautifully constructed opening pages and a few stray passages thereafter—a melancholy twilight walk in Manhattan; some billowing curtains settling into place at the closing of a drawing-room door—Gatsby as a literary creation leaves me cold. Like one of those manicured European parks patrolled on all sides by officious gendarmes, it is pleasant to look at, but you will not find any people inside.

Indeed, The Great Gatsby is less involved with human emotion than any book of comparable fame I can think of. None of its characters are likable. None of them are even dislikable, though nearly all of them are despicable. They function here only as types, walking through the pages of the book like kids in a school play who wear sashes telling the audience what they represent: OLD MONEY, THE AMERICAN DREAM, ORGANIZED CRIME.

Fitzgerald, F. Scottprimary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is retold in

Has the (non-series) prequel

Has the adaptation

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a concordance

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

Then wear the gold hat, if that will move her;
      If you can bounce high, bounce for her too,
Till she cry "Lover, gold-hatted, high-bouncing lover,
      I must have you!"
—Thomas Parke D'Invilliers
ONCE AGAIN
TO
ZELDA
In my younger and more vulnerable years my father gave me some advice that I've been turning over in my mind ever since.
Let us learn to show our friendship for a man when he is alive and not after he is dead.
All right ... I'm glad it's a girl. And I hope she'll be a fool—that's the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool.
This is a valley of ashes—a fantastic farm where ashes grow like wheat into ridges and hills and grotesque gardens, where ashes take the forms of houses and chimneys and rising smoke and finally, with a transcendent effort, of men who move dimly and already crumbling through the powdery air. Occasionally a line of gray cars crawls along an invisible track, gives out a ghastly creak and comes to rest, and immediately the ash-gray men swarm up with leaden spades and stir up an impenetrable cloud which screens their obscure operations from your sight.
"Whenever you feel like criticizing any one," he told me. "just remember that all the people in this world haven't had the advantages that you've had."
I rented a house ... on that slender riotous island which extends itself due east of new york -- where there are, among other natural curiosities, two unusual formations of land. Twenty miles from the city a pair of enormous eggs, identical in contour and seprated only by a courtesy bay, jut out into the most domesticated body of salt water in the Western hemisphere, the great wet barnyard of Long Island Sound. They are not perfect ovals ... but their physical resembalnce must be a source of perpetual wonder to the gullsthat fly overhead.
This work is the book.
Wordsworth Classics publication of "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald, KS3 Success Workbook Maths Levels 5-8, and "Driving Democracy: Do Power-Sharing Institutions Work?" by Norris, Pippa were falsely combined. This seemed to be driven by the ISBNs.

[R.L. 7.3, 8 pts]
Set in the 1920s, this is the tragic love story of Jay Gatsby, a dashing, enigmatic millionaire, obsessed with an elusive, spoiled young woman, Daisy Buchanan.
New neighbor is rich
and throws wild parties for friends.
The American dream.

7 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0141182636, 0140007466, 0141023430, 0141037636, 024195147X, 1922079553, 0734306865

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1907832564, 1907832572

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,461,142 books! | Top bar: Always visible