Business or Pleasure

by Rachel Lynn Solomon

"A ghostwriter and a struggling actor help each other on the page and in the bedroom in this steamy romantic comedy from the New York Times bestselling author of THE EX TALK. Chandler Cohen has never felt more like the ghost in "ghostwriter" until she attends a signing for a book she wrote - and the author doesn't even recognize her. The evening turns more promising when she meets a charming man at the bar and immediately connects with him. But when all their sexual tension culminates in a spectacularly awkward hookup, she decides this is one night better off forgotten. Unfortunately, that's easier said than done. Her next project is ghostwriting a memoir for Finn Walsh, a C-list actor best known for playing a lovable nerd on a cult classic werewolf show who now makes a living appearing at fan conventions across the country. But Chandler knows him better from their one-night stand of hilarious mishaps. Chandler's determined to keep their partnership as professional as possible, but when she admits to Finn their night together wasn't as mind-blowing as he thought it was, he's distraught. He intrigues her enough that they strike a deal: when they're not working on his book, Chandler will school Finn in the art of satisfaction. As they grow closer both in and out of the bedroom, they must figure out which is more important, business or pleasure - or if there's a way for them to have both"--… (more)

Not a great story. Quite unrealistic and not really engaging ( )
  oldblack | May 15, 2024 |
Ooof. I'm torn about this one. The set-up of Business of Pleasure had potential—aspiring author has a very mediocre one-night stand, thanks her lucky stars she'll never have to see this guy again, finds out the very next day that he's a C-list celebrity whose memoir she's going to be ghost-writing. And for the first chunk of the book, I thought it was going to live up to that potential and be a 3.4/4-star read—but the further I got, the more I found myself disappointed and even skimming a bit to get to the end. I know it sounds like an odd complaint to have about a work of fiction but Chandler and Finn's relationship felt too scripted, too invested in representation and not enough in exploration.

It's also weird to read a book where the author is verging on the preachy about certain issues that can be Problematic (gasp), but then glides right over truly grappling with the issues created by the circumstances of Finn and Chandler's relationship. You can't have it both ways!

Also, having the female lead be called Chandler meant I just kept picturing her being played by Matthew Perry in a blond pixie-cut wig. ( )
  siriaeve | Apr 26, 2024 |
Thank you to Netgalley for the ARC!

This was fun! It has a few tropes that I haven't seen before, though I'll always get hung up on miscommunications driving me nuts. The characters were fun, playful and interesting, and it was a quick, fun summer read. ( )
  eboods | Feb 28, 2024 |
A ghost-writer is offered a job writing the memoir of an actor -- and discovers he’s the guy with whom she had an unsatisfying one-night-stand.

I didn’t like the romance as much as I did the one in Weather Girl. However, I enjoyed the portrayal of fandom -- Finn starred in a werewolf drama about college students, and as research for the book, Chandler follows Finn as he attends several conventions across the country. I also thought the reflections on ghost-writing, collaboration and finding a fulfilling career were interesting.

“Before this trip, I felt completely trapped,” I continue. “They told us we could have it all but that’s just not true. We could do something creative, but also something stable. Something fulfilling, but that doesn’t turn you into a workaholic. Something good for the planet, but that also makes money. I grew up with everyone telling me how special I was, which was amplified by being born on Leap Day. It was always, ‘You’re going to do something great’ and ‘You can do whatever you want’ and never ‘It’s okay if you don’t figure it out right away.’ But I’m starting to wonder if none of that is true.”
“Maybe ghostwriting isn’t too different from acting.” Finn drops my hands, and maybe worse than the massage is the way his face is inches from mine, his eyes sincere. “You’re assuming someone’s voice and identity for a little while, promising to take good care of it.”
  Herenya | Oct 29, 2023 |
*3.75 stars rounded up*

Delightful story about a ghostwriter and a B-list TV author who somehow survived a really awkward encounter and found true love :)

While having similar beats with all romances, where this book SHINES is in the communication between the two main leads as regards sexual pleasure. It was an absolute pleasure to read. Almost all of the supporting character- especially Noem and Chandler's parents were also fun, and I was glad Wyatt was not made a big issue.

Being a RLS book, I enjoyed how seamlessly Judaism was incorporated into our character's lives. I also really liked the mental health representation.

What stops this from being a 5 star read is that as much as the couple communicated with each other, I would have loved if it had extended to other aspects of their friendship/relationship. The miscommunication/not-sure-of-feelings-and-not-asking especially on FL's part sometimes took me out of the story.

Other than that, I really enjoyed getting to meet Chandler and Finn and I am glad they got their HEA.

Really fun beach read.

Thank you to NetGalley and Berkeley books for the ARC! ( )
  DramPan | Sep 6, 2023 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,387,381 books! | Top bar: Always visible