Palestine by Joe Sacco

Palestine (original 1993; edition 2001)

by Joe Sacco, Edward W. Said (Introduction)

Series: Palestine (Omnibus 1-9)

A landmark of journalism and the art form of comics. Based on several months of research and an extended visit to the West Bank and Gaza Strip in the early 1990s, this is a major work of political and historical nonf
Member:tidepooltostars
Title:Palestine
Authors:Joe Sacco
Other authors:Edward W. Said (Introduction)
Info:Fantagraphics (2001), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 288 pages

Palestine by Joe Sacco (1993)

English (31)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (35)
It wasn't bad, as long as one remembers to take it for what it is: a collection of stories that are relayed to Sacco and which he then relays to us, in an attempt to convey a feeling and an atmosphere of what it's like to be a Palestinian in Gaza and the West Bank. He does a good job, towards the end of the collection, of emphasizing how boring and run-of-the-mill the horrendous can become when constantly exposed to it, through his narrative text expressing his need to keep a schedule. "A complete tragedy in 20 minutes!"

A few things were off-putting in this story. One thing that really threw me was the abrupt ending and the fact that we never find out what happens to his friend that doesn't speak English and takes photos (I'm too lazy to go pick up the book again to check for his name). What happened after the bus driver asked for more directions?

Also, given the nature of the problems in Israel and Palestine, I feel like there could have been more context and more back-and-forth between the conflicting views of what's going on there. The collection of stories here are meant to have an emotional impact. It's meant to be in-your-face. That's fine. But most people never look beyond the emotional impact and will come away from this graphic novel feeling like they have a deep understanding of the whole conflict, despite Sacco's in-text commentary that he intentionally did not include the Israeli narrative, because he's heard it all so many times before. What about readers that haven't? ( )
  SGTCat | Feb 25, 2021 |
I was a bit nervous about reading this... for the past 20 years. I needn't have been. Sacco is an honest witness even as he witnesses only one side. The stories stand up. The shocking parts are still shocking. The most depressing part of the whole thing is how little has changed in 25 years. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
Breathtakingly detailed art work with wit, heart and soul. ( )
  AnupGampa | Jun 30, 2018 |
The benefits of a book group is tasting things like this that I wouldn't ordinarily read. Thoughtful and thought provoking, but ultimately I'm not sure graphic literature is a format for me. I found myself reading the text but largely ignoring the images - which is a shame really. ( )
  tryphena | Mar 24, 2018 |
it gives you a glimpse of how it is like to be on this piece of land with a bitter sarcasm. ..I am becoming an addict of this comic journalism ( )
  aborham | Nov 26, 2017 |
Sacco is formidably talented. A meticulous reporter, he scrupulously interprets the testimonies of dozens of victims of the Israeli regime into cartoon form. He is also a gifted artist whose richly nuanced drawings tread a delicate path between cartoonishness and naturalism.

Palestine not only demonstrates the versatility and potency of its medium, but it also sets the benchmark for a new, uncharted genre of graphic reportage.
added by stephmo | editThe Observer, David Thompson (Jan 5, 2003)

It figures that one of the first books to make sense of this mess would be a comic book.

Joe Saccoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Said, Edward W.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to Kenji, Erlis, Jamileh, Jad, Jemal, and Shafeek
Comic books are a universal phenomenon associated with adolescence. (Homage to Joe Sacco by Edward Said)
This book collects all nine issues of a comic book series called Palestine under one cover for the first time. (Author's Forword to the complete edition of Palestine)
Traffic?
...but that’s the thing about coming to the Holy Land or Palestine or whatever you want to call it...no one who knows what he’s come here looking for leaves without having found it.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 158,925,464 books! | Top bar: Always visible