Palestine by Joe Sacco

Palestine (original 1993; edition 2002)

by Joe Sacco

Uses a comic book format to shed light on the complex and emotionally-charged situation of Palestian Arabs, exploring the lives of Israeli soldiers, Palestian refugees, and children in the Occupied Territories.
Member:acebandages
Title:Palestine
Authors:Joe Sacco
Info:Fantagraphics Books (2002), Paperback

Palestine by Joe Sacco (1993)

Recently added byRMcAdam, reg_lt, private library, Alessandro.Pozzetti, darrenjones, Quemaqua, Eoinmonty, dfwftw

English (30)  Dutch (1)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (34)
I was a bit nervous about reading this... for the past 20 years. I needn't have been. Sacco is an honest witness even as he witnesses only one side. The stories stand up. The shocking parts are still shocking. The most depressing part of the whole thing is how little has changed in 25 years. ( )
  asxz | Mar 13, 2019 |
Breathtakingly detailed art work with wit, heart and soul. ( )
  AnupGampa | Jun 30, 2018 |
The benefits of a book group is tasting things like this that I wouldn't ordinarily read. Thoughtful and thought provoking, but ultimately I'm not sure graphic literature is a format for me. I found myself reading the text but largely ignoring the images - which is a shame really. ( )
  tryphena | Mar 24, 2018 |
it gives you a glimpse of how it is like to be on this piece of land with a bitter sarcasm. ..I am becoming an addict of this comic journalism ( )
  aborham | Nov 26, 2017 |
Joe Sacco, comic book journalist, shares his experience of Palestine and Israel in the early 1990s. With an introduction by Edward Said, Sacco illuminates the Palestinian experience and the tension with Israel.

The graphic format is effective, though this more text based than your usual graphic novel. Not a fun feel good read. ( )
  Jamichuk | May 22, 2017 |
Sacco is formidably talented. A meticulous reporter, he scrupulously interprets the testimonies of dozens of victims of the Israeli regime into cartoon form. He is also a gifted artist whose richly nuanced drawings tread a delicate path between cartoonishness and naturalism.

Palestine not only demonstrates the versatility and potency of its medium, but it also sets the benchmark for a new, uncharted genre of graphic reportage.
added by stephmo | editThe Observer, David Thompson (Jan 5, 2003)

It figures that one of the first books to make sense of this mess would be a comic book.

Joe Saccoprimary authorall editionscalculated
Said, Edward W.Introductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dedicated to Kenji, Erlis, Jamileh, Jad, Jemal, and Shafeek
Comic books are a universal phenomenon associated with adolescence. (Homage to Joe Sacco by Edward Said)
This book collects all nine issues of a comic book series called Palestine under one cover for the first time. (Author's Forword to the complete edition of Palestine)
Traffic?
...but that’s the thing about coming to the Holy Land or Palestine or whatever you want to call it...no one who knows what he’s come here looking for leaves without having found it.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,599,069 books! | Top bar: Always visible