British and Irish Mythology: An Encyclopedia…

British and Irish Mythology: An Encyclopedia of Myth and Legend (original 1988; edition 1995)

by Caitlin Matthews (Author), John Matthews (Author)

165None168,809 (3.81)None
Member:DogstarLibrary
Title:British and Irish Mythology: An Encyclopedia of Myth and Legend
Authors:Caitlin Matthews (Author)
Other authors:John Matthews (Author)
Info:Diamond Books (1995), 176 pages

Work Information

British & Irish Mythology: An Encyclopedia of Myth and Legend by Caitlín Matthews (1988)

No reviews

Caitlín Matthewsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Matthews, JohnAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Potter, ChescaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
'I have made a heap of all that I have found . . .' Nennius, History of the British
'Thou Genesis of the place (this most renowned Ile) / Which livedst long before the All-drowning Flood, / While yet the world did swarme with her Gigantick brood; / Go thou before me still thy circling shores about, / And in this wandering Maze help to conduct me out.' Michael Drayton, Polyolbion
'Britain, the best of islands, is situated in the Western Ocean between France and Ireland. (It) is inhabited by five races of people, the Norman-French, the Britons, the Saxons, the Picts and the Scots.' Geoffrey of Monmouth, The History of the Kings of Britain
To the ancestors--especially our parents: Murial and Frank and Fred and Olive
When the Monk Nennius complied his British History in the ninth century from diverse literary and oral sources, he said that he had 'made a heap' of all he could find.

In our modern age of media culture, it is difficult for us to imagine a time when the memory and oral tradition were the only available methods of recording and retrieving information. Yet such a situation was the impetus which prompted the first chroniclers of Britain's mythology and arcane lore to record and preserve the traditions of their age for future transmission to later generations.

The Aquarian Guide to British & Irish Mythology is a continuation of that tradition. John and Caitlin Matthews have compiled a unique, easy-reference encyclopedia of the myths and legends of Britain, containing all the central characters, gods, heroes, heroines, saints and legends which have made their own contribution to the development of the cultural consciousness of the British Isle.

From Arthur and the Round Table to Lady Godiva and the Thirteen Treasures of Britain, this fascinating A-Z a guide, with charming illustrations by Chesca Potter, will introduce you to the characters and cultural traditions of long ago, tracing their influence on the way we live our lives today.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,678,123 books! | Top bar: Always visible