Iron Kissed

by Patricia Briggs

Series: Mercy Thompson (3), World of the Marrok (4)

Shapeshifting mechanic Mercy Thompson finds her loyalty sorely tested when her former boss and mentor is arrested for murder and left to rot behind bars by his own kind, while she is trying to choose between Sam and Adam, the two werewolves she loves.

English (185)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (189)
Patricia Briggs is an author I enjoy reading and the Mercy Thompson series is my favorite series by her. I love that she books have so much to them, intrigue, mystery, romance, paranormal and so much more. I find myself invested in both the story and the characters. These books feel both new and fresh but also comfortable to read like a favorite sweatshirt. I highly recommend anything by Patricia Briggs. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
3.99 stars. I think these are getting better. The ending had me weeping esp. with the redemption of Ben. ( )
  Je9 | Aug 10, 2021 |
Iron Kissed gets into one of the most interesting parts of the Mercy Thompson universe: the Fae. They may have come out to the public a few decades ago, but only the least of the Fae. When a small pile of the greater Fae are brutally murdered, Mercy gets involved.

We get to learn a fair bit more about the Fae in general and Uncle Mike and Zee in particular, which is nice. They're fascinating and just alien enough to be believable. On top of that, Mercy finally manages to choose between Sam and Adam, although if it will stick, who can say... We start getting into a bit more of the romance aspects that some readers of the series are expecting--and then the final section of the book happens (see spoiler section below).

Overall, it's a powerful book with some lovely worldbuilding and interesting characters. The romance / love triangle aspects of the book are a bit wearying at times, but they're still a relatively minor part of the story. If that's your thing, power to you. If it's not, it's easily skippable.

-- SPOILERS --

There is a rape in the final section of the book. On one hand, it's a very powerful scene and from what I've read from other reviewers, it seems to deal relatively realistically with the consequences. Despite (perhaps even worsened by) the fact that Mercy can shrug off magic no one else should be able to do and kill someone she truly loves, she was still violated.

It's an interesting direction to take the story; one that writers have to be extremely careful to use. Someone being raped, be it the protagonist or a minor character, is often overused as 'character building' or motivation to drive the plot forward when there are often other less stereotypical / potentially problematic ways to do the same thing. On the other hand, perhaps a well written scene can help people understand / heal. ( )
  jpv0 | Jul 21, 2021 |
**Spoiler Warning**
This review has some spoilers.

Iron Kissed is book three in the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs. Each book continues the ongoing adventure with our coyote shifter, Mercy, where we continue to develop the characters, relationships, and world.

I LOVE this series. I LOVE Mercy! She’s a kick-ass heroine. She knows she shouldn’t get involved in Fae affairs, but she can’t help; wanting to help her friend and someone she cares about.

In Iron Kissed we dive into the Fae reservation and learn about some of their secrets.

Briggs writes a world that isn’t too different from ours. I think why I love Mercy so much is that she's a regular women dealing with the same issues we do, who happens to be a coyote shifter, and gets caught up in another world.

We get to see more of the Fae and learn about some of their secrets. New characters are introduced and old favorites become more intriguing. Briggs features a rape scene in this novel. To see Mercy, a strong and capable women, go through this, well it broke my heart. The emotional struggles she and all the characters go through during and after the incident is heartbreaking. I've re-read/listened to this novel many times and I new this scene was coming, but it doesn't make it easier. Briggs does this scene justice and shares the emotional struggles well. Oh my, Ben. I like him more after this novel. We see more of him, learn more about his past, and we see him stand up to Adam too explain, in his way, what Mercy is going through and tells Adam that he needs to fight for her or lose her.

Briggs finally addressed the whole Adam/Sam love issue and she did it well. She manages to write it so that Mercy finally chooses Adam, but still doesn’t disregard Samuel whom she once loved in the past.

Narration: Lorelei King is a spectacular narrater. She does a wonderful job with the storyline and characters. I love her voices for everyone.

This is one of my favorite series and I’ve re-read/listened to it multiple times. This novel is a delight each and every time I read/listen to it. I highly recommend this Urban Fantasy series either reading or listening. Don’t hesitate to pick up this series.

Rated: 4.5 Stars

angelsgp | May 14, 2021 |
I love this series & I really liked this book...there's action, a kick-ass heroine, hints of romance & a bit of humor...
Moreover there are possessive, growling & handsome werewolves and I have a thing for them...all that alpha & dominance stuff sort of turn me on...in books cause in reality it just piss me off!!!
  Lara-IT | Feb 3, 2021 |

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Enzweiler,MichaelMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Collin: Collector of all that is Sharp and Pointy Dragon Slayer
"A cowboy, a lawyer, and a mechanic watched Queen of the Damned," I murmured.

It wasn't hard to follow the scent of blood to the living room where the fae had been killed. It had been a violent death, perfect for creating ghosts.

Mercy Thompson enjoys being a mechanic, but life is never simple given her increasing closeness to the local werewolf pack, and her ability to change into coyote form at will. And when a member of the fae comunity calls in a favour, needing her skills for a covert murder investigation, she jumps into the hunt.

But the dangers multiply and she clashes with shadowed creatures of great power. When her old boss Zee is charged with a brutal assassination, Mercy finds herself fighting alone. There are those who love her, who would keep her safe, but she is wary and holds her freedom precious. Until, that is, she has nothing left to lose but her life...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,371,524 books! | Top bar: Always visible