Iron Kissed (Mercy Thompson, Book 3) by…

Iron Kissed (Mercy Thompson, Book 3) (edition 2008)

by Patricia Briggs

Member:GeezLouise
Title:Iron Kissed (Mercy Thompson, Book 3)
Authors:Patricia Briggs
Info:Ace (2008), Mass Market Paperback, 304 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Paranormal

Iron Kissed by Patricia Briggs

Recently added byrena75, private library, Catz314, Anderweltler, Jen_Pretty

English (164)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (168)
Third in the series. Briggs explores another aspect of her paranormal society, the quite unfriendly fae. She sneaks some social commentary into this entertaining mystery/thriller/romance. The big question: how tolerant should we be of groups that would just as soon destroy us? How do we keep the peace? Interesting and fun read. I was a little disappointed at the resolution of the romance, but won't spoil the ending for others. ( )
  JanetNoRules | Sep 17, 2018 |
I really wanted to like this series, but unfortunately, I was unable to get into it. It took me a while to figure it out, but the problem was that I felt disconnected from the stories. I know it's written from Mercy's perspective, but I was unable to immerse myself in her world. Therefore, I didn't care what was happening to her nor to the people around her. I made it 38% through this book and I realized that I had enough.
  mitabird | Jun 10, 2018 |
I wasn't sure how I wanted to rate this book. The story itself was good. I'm liking Briggs' style more and more. How things play out and Mercy "solves" the mysteries.

But the ending...

I just don't see, no matter how strong a female character is, that four days after she is raped, she goes "ok I'm finally ready to have sex with Adam now" ... I would have imagined more of a recovery stuggle. Yes, people can survive from rape, and be able to do that fast, but FOUR DAYS. I'm not buying it.

And on top of that, I think the last page in itself after everything that has gone on, just makes you sit there like... lol? um what...

So Adam comes back and is all hey Mercy we need to talk now that your not all fairy roofied, have you thought about things? AND HOW DOES SHE ANSWER? By taking her effin shirt off. It makes me want to laugh but at the same time i feel confused because she is a recent rape victim not a damn Girls Gone Wild poster child. And i'm sitting there thinking about that fact that yes its a book meant to be read, and it is not real. But the point to read books, if i'm not mistaken is to enjoy the story, and feel like you know the characters. But It was so far fetched that a women would was raped on a wednesday, and is still having panic attacks from said rape, to then on Monday, going hey frick the convo with the man i love and just get nekkid. ( )
1 vote RozzieReads | Jun 5, 2018 |
  JennyR-WY | May 27, 2018 |
Iron Kissed
4 Stars

The world building focuses on the fae and provides some fascinating background and explanations on the various subtypes including the Grey Lords, the Selkie and the Carrion Crow. The amalgamation of myth and fairytale within the storyline is seamless and engaging.

The murder mystery is a weak point. Although the idea of a serial killer targeting the fae has potential, the investigation is subsumed within so many other events and details that it all but disappears as does the underlying anti-racist message. Moreover, the resolution is completely overshadowed by the killer's attack on Mercy.

Speaking of which, the rape is completely unnecessary either to the storyline or the character development. In fact, having Mercy humiliated in this way only serves to undermine her characterization as a strong-willed, independent and kick-ass heroine. It can be argued that the emotional impact of the event strengthens Mercy's relationship with both the pack and the men in her life, but surely there is a better way of achieving these without undercutting the heroine. Thankfully, the last chapter of the book suggests that she is on the road to recovery and somewhat mitigates the harm done.

This situation, together with the lack of positively portrayed female characters in the series, is beginning to lead me to the unfortunate conclusion that Brigg's doesn't seem to like women very much. I hope that the next books will prove me wrong.

On a happier note, the love triangle subplot finally comes to an end when Mercy makes a choice between Adam and Samuel. Her ultimate decision is based both on logical reasoning and emotional investment and is, I believe, the correct choice for her.

All in all, despite my issues with the questionable plot device in this installment, the Mercy Thompson series is well written and entertaining, and I have to admit that the scene between Ben and Adam had me tearing up. Looking forward to what happens in Bone Crossed. ( )
  Lauren2013 | May 24, 2018 |

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Enzweiler,MichaelMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Collin: Collector of all that is Sharp and Pointy Dragon Slayer
"A cowboy, a lawyer, and a mechanic watched Queen of the Damned," I murmured.

It wasn't hard to follow the scent of blood to the living room where the fae had been killed. It had been a violent death, perfect for creating ghosts.

Mercy Thompson enjoys being a mechanic, but life is never simple given her increasing closeness to the local werewolf pack, and her ability to change into coyote form at will. And when a member of the fae comunity calls in a favour, needing her skills for a covert murder investigation, she jumps into the hunt.

But the dangers multiply and she clashes with shadowed creatures of great power. When her old boss Zee is charged with a brutal assassination, Mercy finds herself fighting alone. There are those who love her, who would keep her safe, but she is wary and holds her freedom precious. Until, that is, she has nothing left to lose but her life...

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0441015662, Mass Market Paperback)

When her former boss and mentor is arrested for murder and left to rot behind bars by his own kind, it's up to shapeshifting car mechanic Mercy Thompson to clear his name, whether he wants her to or not. And she'll have to choose between the two werewolves in her life-whether she wants to or not.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:35 -0400)

Shapeshifting mechanic Mercy Thompson finds her loyalty sorely tested when her former boss and mentor is arrested for murder and left to rot behind bars by his own kind, while she is trying to choose between Sam and Adam, the two werewolves she loves.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,567,117 books! | Top bar: Always visible