dismiss

Iron kissed by Patricia Briggs

Iron kissed (edition 2008)

by Patricia Briggs

Shapeshifting mechanic Mercy Thompson finds her loyalty sorely tested when her former boss and mentor is arrested for murder and left to rot behind bars by his own kind, while she is trying to choose between Sam and Adam, the two werewolves she loves.
Member:daydreaming.antigone
Title:Iron kissed
Authors:Patricia Briggs
Info:New York : Ace Books, 2008.

Iron Kissed by Patricia Briggs

Recently added byprivate library, Avonelle, ayoshina, Arina40, AgentSong394, Tzza, FidsLady, jsemenza

English (175)  Dutch (2)  French (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (179)
Mercy is a shapeshifter (coyote) who was raised by werewolves. She is brought into a fae community to help sniff out a murderer. Somehow someone Mercy knows who is not the murderer (or was this a retaliation murder?) is arrested, so Mercy is trying to help find who is the (one of the?) real murderer(s?). In addition, Mercy is torn between two men, one the alpha werewolf.

Listened to the audio, and I had a hard time focusing (that may be obvious from my summary!). Enjoyed what I paid attention to, but I’ll try to remember not to listen to another audio in this series, for as long as I continue the series. I’ll at least try the next one (not audio) and see if I want to continue after that at all. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jul 30, 2020 |
1225 ( )
  Olivermagnus | Jul 2, 2020 |
Trigger warning: Rape

This is the Mercy Thompson book that left me feeling raw for hours. I am glad that I got a chance to re-read it for Halloween Bingo 2017 though. I recall this book had me in tears a few times and that I loved how Briggs wrote this story and the continuation of Mercy's fallout from a brutal attack.

In "Iron Kissed" Mercy's boss and friend Zee is arrested for a crime that she knows he could not have committed. Though Mercy is warned off by Zee and a bunch of other people, she keeps investigating. While dealing with that, she finally has to face who she wants to be with in the future, Adam, Alpha of the local Pack or Samuel the son of the leader of the Werewolves in North America.

Mercy is a fighter and when one of her friends or loved ones is in trouble, she goes all in, however, this time there are repercussions to Mercy forging ahead. Mercy is already starting to see that her feelings for Adam are stronger than her feelings for Samuel in this one, but she still feels hesitant to make a choice even though she finds out later that Adam has made a choice that will cause problems with his Pack if it's not resolved soon.

I know others have mentioned that it's a shame that Mercy doesn't have more real life girlfriends in this series, and I have to agree. Especially considering what happens to Mercy in this one, I am surprised that Mercy didn't reach out to her mother and her one time best friend that was mentioned three books ago.

I will say that the series doesn't get better with regards to Mercy having a close female friendship. Considering how close Honey is to Mercy (or at least she is to my mind) I hope that gets resolved in the series. Or heck, have Mercy actually talk to Anna once in a while (Charles wife and mate).

Adam is the best. Seriously you guys. He is the perfect book boyfriend. I loved him from beginning to end in this one. He loves and gets Mercy and nothing is ever going to change things for him at all with regards to who he wants to be with.

We get appearances by many characters we know and that I love (Jessie, Warren, Ben, and Honey) and I loved each and every one of them.

We get some interesting insight into the werewolf Ben in this one. I maybe cried a bit when something in his past is revealed. We get to see that though Mercy doesn't realize it, that Ben really does care about her. I did get annoyed about how Mercy treats Ben in one of the later books (River Marked #6) especially based on this scene, but at least Briggs hasn't done that again since that time.

The first part of the book moves a little slow though. When we have Mercy investigating what Fae could be behind some deaths I was not invested. When all is revealed though it took my breath away. And when Mercy is raped I had to put the book down for a bit. It's a lot. Briggs spares nothing and you are wholly in Mercy's head as she deals with the fallout from being raped. I applaud how thoughtful Briggs was to write this story and how we get to see Mercy dealing with the fallout from the events in this book for the rest of the series.

I have to say that I loved how things ended in this book. We have Mercy choosing to go on from what happens to her and choosing to love the man that she wants to be with in the future.
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
2/3 of the book was set up and explanation. There was a little action, more see-sawing about Sam vs Adam...and then BAM intense last 20%.

I get annoyed by this. I feel like the story's pacing was all off this time around and the back story didn't feel as interesting. What did work is Mercy's integration into the pack-or her believing it-and a little of seeing learning more about fabulous supporting characters...

Otherwise, eh. When you read nearly 70% and are having trouble escaping the headlines -- we'll let's just say this one did not do the trick.

But I plan to keep reading the series. ( )
  samnreader | Jun 27, 2020 |
In this adventure, Mercy is called in by her friend and mentor Zee to use her superior sense of smell to find out who murdered some fae on the fae reservation. She does pinpoint a suspect - a human who is one of the guard for the reservation.

When Zee and Uncle Mike go to talk to him, and likely kill him, they find that someone got there first and murdered him. The police arrive suspiciously fast and Zee is arrested for murder. Since the fae want the whole thing to go away fast, it is up to Mercy to find out who really killed the guard and prove her friend Zee innocent.

But the fae are very powerful and very invested in keeping their real powers off the radar, so Mercy is in as much danger from the fae as she is from the real killer.

It turns out that the murders were cover for someone wanting the powerful fae artifacts that each of the victims controlled. Among them is a walking stick whose original purpose was to make a farmer's ewes have two healthy lambs at each birthing. But old fae artifacts can do more than that, and this one has decided that Mercy needs it. It keeps showing up no matter how often Mercy tries to give it back.

This is also the story where Mercy needs to decide between Samuel and Adam before the two powerful alphas take away her choice. Samuel is her first love and her first heartbreak and she knows he needs her. But Adam is the man she loves - if only she wasn't terrified that loving him would put her under his control and change her in ways she doesn't want to be changed.

The story was compelling reading and parts of it were very hard to listen to because of the content. Mercy does manage to survive and I hope she is able to overcome the damage done to her. I recommend it and recommend this series to fans of good urban fantasy. ( )
  kmartin802 | May 23, 2020 |

Patricia Briggsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dos Santos, DanielCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Enzweiler,MichaelMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
King, LoreleiNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lagerman, JudithCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Collin: Collector of all that is Sharp and Pointy Dragon Slayer
"A cowboy, a lawyer, and a mechanic watched Queen of the Damned," I murmured.

It wasn't hard to follow the scent of blood to the living room where the fae had been killed. It had been a violent death, perfect for creating ghosts.

Mercy Thompson enjoys being a mechanic, but life is never simple given her increasing closeness to the local werewolf pack, and her ability to change into coyote form at will. And when a member of the fae comunity calls in a favour, needing her skills for a covert murder investigation, she jumps into the hunt.

But the dangers multiply and she clashes with shadowed creatures of great power. When her old boss Zee is charged with a brutal assassination, Mercy finds herself fighting alone. There are those who love her, who would keep her safe, but she is wary and holds her freedom precious. Until, that is, she has nothing left to lose but her life...

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,275,702 books! | Top bar: Always visible