The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other Stories…

The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other Stories (original 1939; edition 1976)

by Ernest Hemingway

The ideal introduction to the genius of Ernest Hemingway, The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other Stories contains ten of Hemingway's most acclaimed and popular works of short fiction. Selected from Winner Take Nothing, Men Without Women, and The Fifth Column and the First Forty-Nine Stories, this collection includes "The Killers," the first of Hemingway's mature stories to be accepted by an American periodical; the autobiographical "Fathers and Sons," which alludes, for the first time in Hemingway's career, to his father's suicide; "The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber," a "brilliant fusion of personal observation, hearsay and invention," wrote Hemingway's biographer, Carlos Baker; and the title story itself, of which Hemingway said: "I put all the true stuff in," with enough material, he boasted, to fill four novels. Beautiful in their simplicity, startling in their originality, and unsurpassed in their craftsmanship, the stories in this volume highlight one of America's master storytellers at the top of his form.… (more)
Member:biblion
Title:The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other Stories
Authors:Ernest Hemingway
Info:Bantam (1976), Edition: First Thus, Mass Market Paperback

The Snows of Kilimanjaro and Other Stories by Ernest Hemingway (1939)

English (39)  Swedish (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (41)
I shouldn't count this as "read," since I stopped after two and a half stories. Now I remember: I don't like Hemingway! I was lured by the transcendence of A Moveable Feast into thinking I'd like to read more. Nope. I hate leaving books unfinished, but Edward Streeter and PG Wodehouse are calling my name! ( )
  beautifulshell | Aug 27, 2020 |
Most times I dislike short stories. I find them too short, lacking story, unclear.
This little book of short stories however stole my heart. Especially the title story.

Most of them start in the middle of something, telling me as a reader only a part of the story. But nevertheless they are surprisingly complete, feel finished when the pages for that particular story are up. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | Mar 29, 2020 |
Alright, so I tried reading Hemingway's COMPLETE short story collection, which was a behemoth, and I ultimately found myself 'counting pages'. A lot of the stories were just coming and going...they were of no interest or importance. I gave up about half-way through, sold it, and bought this collection. This is a very good book, with great stories. Short and sweet. ( )
  weberam2 | Nov 24, 2017 |
This book is drawn from other works and I have read all of the stories several times before either online or in other collected works. Rather than read in awe of the master, this reading had me feeling sorry for the depressing note to all things. While this makes the short stories art, it also hints at a fragility, but not of manhood, as Hemingway's critics often suggest, but of the absurd. And yet Hemingway had no time for the absurd, or at least, Malcolm Cowley with:...a stupid look on his potato face talking about the Dada movement...Yet here, in this collection, I couldn't help but think of the meaninglessness of life and Hemingway's enunciation of the absurd, building over and over in a collection put together, not by Hemingway, but by others. I suspect this is worth looking into further and a few re-reads of Hemingway's major works might benefit from a view through this lens. ( )
  madepercy | Nov 7, 2017 |
These stories seem quite dated and straight out of the men's magazines of an earlier period: fixed boxing matches, safaris in Africa, stories of organized crime and n****r cooks.

Yet there is no doubt that this guy's writing stands with the best and packs a wallop yet today. We know the landscape and the people and gasp at the all too recognizable human-ness of them, even while being cognizant of the time gone by.

My two favorite stories of the collection are both about death and Africa: 'The Snows of Kalamjaro' and 'The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber' . That's where the similarities end. These two will remain with me.
  streamsong | Oct 15, 2017 |

Hemingway, Ernestprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Edinga, HansTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kilimanjaro is a snow-covered mountain 19,710 feet high, and is said to be the highest mountain in Africa.
The Finnish collection Kilimandšaron lumet contains 21 short stories from the collection First Forty-Nine Stories. Please do not combine.

Legacy Library: Ernest Hemingway

Ernest Hemingway has a Legacy Library. Legacy libraries are the personal libraries of famous readers, entered by LibraryThing members from the Legacy Libraries group.

See Ernest Hemingway's legacy profile.

See Ernest Hemingway's author page.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,747,331 books! | Top bar: Always visible