The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury

The Illustrated Man (original 1951; edition 1997)

by Ray Bradbury

Ray Bradbury's The Illustrated Man is a kaleidoscopic blending of magic, imagination, and truth, widely believed to be one of the grand master's premier accomplishments. Collected here are eighteen tales, startling visions of humankind's destiny, unfolding across a canvas of decorated skin, visions as keen as the tattooist's needle and as colorful as the inks that indelibly stain the body.… (more)
Member:superant
Title:The Illustrated Man
Authors:Ray Bradbury
Info:William Morrow (1997), Hardcover, 288 pages

The Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury (1951)

English (104)  Danish (2)  German (1)  French (1)  All languages (108)
The first science fiction books I ever read. Read it in middle school, and it started my love of fantasy and science fiction. ( )
  SusanFaithCorl | Feb 25, 2020 |
READ IN ENGLISH

I don't remember exactly why I bought this book, and I think it has been on my TBR for the last two years. But as I'm trying to actually read my TBR, I came across the Illustrated Man by Ray Bradbury, most famous of course for his novel Fahrenheit 451.

And, I really was surprised at how much I liked this book! (I also like Fahrenheit 451, now I think of it), but this novel is more like a collection of short stories (the central story is fascinating, but very small, and from a given point, it doesn't even appear between the short stories any more). I'm not a particular fan of short stories, but some of these were really good.

Most of them were SF, though some of them tended to be more like Horror-SF (if something like that exists?). Written in 1951, there is a fascination of atom bombs, biological warfare, space missions, the general destruction of live as we know it and (because this is Ray Bradbury) book burnings. Nice to read it now, as some of the stories are set in like 1969 or 2005, it's funny what people thought might have become of us by then =)

I'd not thought I would like this book so much, and now I actually want to read even more books by Ray Bradbury. ( )
  Floratina | Dec 7, 2019 |
Some of these stories had such surprising depth to them. The rest were still wonderful and fun to read! ( )
  Katie_Roscher | Jan 18, 2019 |
A collection of short stories more or less connected by a man's magical tattoos. A lot of them were pretty good, though the more Bradbury I read, the more I feel like I'm being kept at arm's length, as a woman. It's one thing for your female characters to be bland and reactionary (common in classic SF), but there is a distinct impression here that this is a man's world. Which is fine, so far as it goes, but it does prevent me from getting as lost in the story as I might have been. That said, there were quite a few gems in here, the best being - perhaps ironically - the ones with no women in them at all. ( )
  melydia | Dec 25, 2018 |
Some good stories, some not-so-good stories, lots of great writing. ( )
  Monica_P | Nov 22, 2018 |

Butchkes, SydneyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
豊樹, 小笠原Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Goodfellow, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
O'Brien, TimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This book is for Father, Mother, and Skip, with love.
It was a warm afternoon in early September when I first met the Illustrated Man.
They walked down the hall of their soundproofed, Happylife Home, which had cost them thirty thousand dollars installed, this house which clothed and fed and rocked them to sleep and played and sang and was good to them. Their approach sensitized a switch somewhere and the nursery light flicked on when they came within ten feet of it. Similarly, behind them, in the halls, lights went on and off as they left them behind, with a soft automaticity.

Contents: Prologue: The Illustrated Man | The Veldt | Kaleidoscope | The Other Foot | The Highway | The Man | The Long Rain | The Rocket Man | The Fire Balloons | The Last Night of the World | The Exiles | No Particular Night or Morning | The Fox and the Forest | The Visitor | The Concrete Mixer | Marionettes, Inc. | The City | Zero Hour | The Rocket | Epilogue

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,547,387 books! | Top bar: Always visible