Live in a Better Way: Reflections on Truth,…

Live in a Better Way: Reflections on Truth, Love, and Happiness

by Dalai Lama XIV

I guess I should have looked closer at the author of this book because (come to find out) this book was not written by The Dalai Lama himself but are instead mere reflections of his teachings written by a monk. Usually this wouldn't bother me, however this monk seems to have a very negative outlook on life in general. The author also seems to beat around the bush on a lot of subjects and doesn't really come to a point. I would definitely prefer to have read a book by His Holiness instead of someone else's musings and interpretations of them. ( )
  TheReadingMermaid | Dec 2, 2017 |
Live in a Better Way: Reflections on Truth, Love, and Happiness
by the Dalai Lama.

Why I picked this book up: While in SLC I was able to hear some of this thoughts and I wanted to read this book to see what he was putting out and read some Buddhist thoughts on some subjects.

This book is basically a bunch of Dalai Lama speeches through the years.

Why I finished this book: I was not too into this book so just read it quickly but did not interact with it much. I only finished this book because I started it. I will keep another of his books on my shelf without opening it (anytime soon). ( )
  DrT | Mar 20, 2011 |
Book Description: New York: Viking Penguin, 2001. Hard Cover. As New/As New. First Edition. 12mo - over 6" - 7¾" tall.
  Czrbr | Jun 7, 2010 |
Basically just transcripts of some keynote speeches the Dalai Lama has given over the years. If you're not hard-core interested in Buddhism and all its particulars, you'll find yourself skimming over quite a lot. But I still love what he has to say, so I would conclude, after reading the book, that it's worth it. Nice over some hot tea or coffee in the morning, to help quiet the mind in preparation for your day. ( )
  KendraRenee | Apr 16, 2009 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 014219607X, Paperback)

Occasionally a book comes along that you want to take outside, shove into the hand of every passerby, and say, "Read this and be enlightened." The Dalai Lama's latest collection of lectures is like that. As you read, you begin to think what a wonderful world it would be if everybody thought like the Dalai Lama. Though the highest ranked leader of a world religion, the Dalai Lama insists that some of the most important aspects of Buddhist practice are nonreligious, particularly the training of the mind. This he sees as essential to cultivating basic decency in the day-to-day life of all people. To understand the motivations of others, to rein in negative emotions, to examine one's own motivations--these are the steps to living peacefully and responsibly in the world. On a deeper theoretical level, the Dalai Lama also introduces the importance of seeing through reality to the two levels of truth as well as exploring karma and the nature of existence. Impromptu question-and-answer sessions round out some of the lectures, giving the listeners a chance to pose their own questions. Read this and be enlightened. --Brian Bruya

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:15 -0400)

Brings together a selection of public lectures His Holiness the Dalai Lama delivered once a year over the past decade at events held in Delhi, India. Shares his wisdom and opens himself up to question and answer sessions with general audiences.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,433,755 books! | Top bar: Always visible