The Marquis' Secret by George MacDonald

The Marquis' Secret (original 1877; edition 1982)

by George MacDonald (Author), Michael R. Phillips (Editor)

As outspoken in his day as Richard Dawkins or Christopher Hitchens are today, American freethinker and author ROBERT GREEN INGERSOLL (1833-1899) was a notorious radical whose uncompromising views on religion and slavery (they were bad, in his opinion), women's suffrage (a good idea, he believed), and other contentious matters of his era made him a wildly popular orator and critic of 19th-century American culture and public life. As a speaker dedicated to expanding intellectual horizons and celebrating the value of skepticism, Ingersoll spoke frequently on such topics as atheism, freedom from the pressures of conformity, and the lives of philosophers who espoused such concepts. This collection of his most famous speeches includes the lectures: [ "The Gods" (1872) [ "Humboldt" (1869) [ "Thomas Paine" (1870) [ "Individuality" (1873) [ "Heretics and Heresies" (1874)… (more)
Member:Catherine_Connors
Title:The Marquis' Secret
Authors:George MacDonald (Author)
Other authors:Michael R. Phillips (Editor)
Info:Bethany House Publishers (1982), 228 pages

The Marquis of Lossie by George MacDonald (1877)

Sequel to The Fisherman's Lady
  holderofthemt | Dec 17, 2016 |
Book 2 of 2 Story of Malcolm
  Firstbaptistbutler | Mar 4, 2016 |
Another deliteful read authored by George MacDonald, a Scottish favourite. Also known as the Marquis of Lossie, I was attracted to read this particular book having spent time in Lossie of the book's title!
MacDonald is a master storyteller. Tension mounts almost to the breaking point before there is a turn to provide some relief, then back into another buildup of intensity before resolution. If I didn't actually have to sleep at some point in my 24 hr allotment, I would NOT have put this one down.
It is #2 in a series, but as I hadn't read the first, this definitely was a great stand-alone. He did well to recount issues to which he alluded, so I was never at a loss for understanding.

Definitely an action packed adventure, incredibly well described characters engaging my likes and dislikes and leading me on in their character development. I particularly like the male point of view in the romantic attachments and advancements. Verrra nice! [in my best brogue!]

A few great quotes from this book to inspire..

""..the first step toward action is the beginning of the death of doubt..."

"Malcolm's feeling ran higher than night as he stood thus alone under the stars waiting to embark for he knew not where..."

“As you grow ready for it, somewhere or other you will find what is needful for you in a book.”
― George MacDonald, The Marquis of Lossie

I was blessed to find this at my neighbourhood charity shop, but I'm quite sure it is available for ereaders due to its age/copyright. Download yourself a copy and treat yourself to a great read!

FHC | Jun 13, 2013 |
Story of an authentic Scottish nobleman, yet humbly plying the trade of fisherman and groom and a haughty half-sister, craving attention and position, a noble lady unaware that the humble fisherman who loves her is in reality the Marquis of Lossie.

A sequel to "The Fisherman's Lady". Written by George MacDonald as "The Marquis of Lossie" in 1877 and publ by JB Lippincott 1877.

Edited and re-published as "The Marquis Secret" by Michael Phillips in 1982. ( )
  DSFord | Jun 5, 2010 |
One of my all-time favorite George MacDonald novels. One probably ought to read The Fisherman's Lady first, but that's a sort of average romance, while in this book MacDonald is building wonderful characters. ( )
  RRHowell | Mar 1, 2010 |
It was one of those exquisite days that come in every winter, in which it seems no longer the dead body, but the lovely ghost of summer.

An authentic Scottish nobleman, yet humbly plying the trade of fisherman and groom. A haughty half-sister, craving attention and position. A noble lady, unaware that the humble fisherman who loves her is in reality the Marquis of Lossie.
In the first book, The Fisherman's Lady, the new marquis, Malcolm, discovers his true identity; but for very important reasons of his own, he continues to live as the simple fisherman whom the villagers know and love.
His chief task is to fulfill his promise to his late father in caring for his headstrong half-sister, Florimel. Enamored by high society and its dark temptations, she succumbs to the charm of an unworthy suitor. How can Malcolm rescue her without revealing the devastating truth concerning her own past?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,405,491 books! | Top bar: Always visible