Van Richten's Guide to the Mists (2005)

by Carla Hollar

214,505,491 (3)None
Recently added bycleverusername2

This is the last, unreleased Ravenloft book released under White Wolf's Arthaus line. I downloaded a copy on line from the Sword & Sorcery web site.

It is a bit melancholy to read it, and think it is probably the last we shall hear from the Weathermay-Foxgrove twins; but on the whole it is a worthwhile book. There was a concern that a Guide to the Mists would reveal too much about the nature of the Mists, and perhaps the Dark Powers that control the demiplane of Ravenloft, but I found this not to be so. Like Van Richten’s Guide to the Walking Dead and Guide to the Shadow Fae the fictional authors describe their encounters with the denizens (strange creatures) they find in the Mists and speculate on their nature and origins. In this way, the Mists are described by effect and affect, but it’s essential nature is not revealed. Such is left to the DM. This is a servicable sourcebook with some interesting story ideas and monster statistics, and would certainly benefit a Ravenloft chronicle.

This is not the last of the Ravenloft line, but there will probably be no more books written by the original writing team known as the Kargatane. There is so much of the metaplot left unexplored and unwritten. It is left to the fan community to tell their own tales of what unfolds, I suppose. ( )
  cleverusername2 | Apr 27, 2007 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,235,954 books! | Top bar: Always visible