Supernatural: Nevermore by Keith R. A.…

Supernatural: Nevermore (original 2007; edition 1856)

by Keith R. A. DeCandido (Author)

Member:ElodieTheFangirl
Title:Supernatural: Nevermore
Authors:Keith R. A. DeCandido (Author)
Info:Titan Books Ltd (1856)
Tags:fantastique, aventure, Supernatural, série télévisée

Nevermore by Keith R. A. DeCandido (2007)

This review is written with a GPL 3.0 license and the rights contained therein shall supersede all TOS by any and all websites in regards to copying and sharing without proper authorization and permissions. Crossposted at Bookstooge.booklikes.blogspot.wordpress.leafmarks.tumblr.com by express permission of this reviewer. Title: Nevermore Series: Supernatural Author: Keith DeCandido Rating: 3 of 5 Stars Genre: Urban Fantasy Pages: 318 Synopsis: Dean and Sam, the [in]famous Winchester brothers, are doing a favor for Ash, the computer genius who hunts demons online. Ash's friend is being haunted by a ghost and it is escalating. Along the way, the boys come across a series of murders that seem to tie in to a resurrection ceremony based on the stories and poems of Poe. My Thoughts: This story takes place during Season 2, I believe, which needs to be taken into account since that is all the author has to deal with when it comes to characterization. This would have been a typical 2 part tv episode. 2 storylines that aren't related except by location. This story was nothing special, the Poe aspect felt very tacked on. It felt like it was added for the "Urban Fantasy" side of things, like a ghost haunting a washed up bar rockstar wasn't enough? But at the time, the tv show was focusing on urban legends, etc, so it makes sense. If this had been my introduction to Supernatural, I wouldn't be bothering with any more. But like most novelizations of movies and shows, the books never live up to the show. So if you like Supernatural then I do recommend this. I did like it enough to put the next book on my TBR list. " ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
I'm a big fan of the show, and I love the tie in books. ( )
  oxlabyrinthxo | Jul 10, 2016 |
First things first. This book was based off of the TV show "Supernatural." It was published in 2007 and took place between Season 2's Crossroad Blues and Croatoan - episodes 8 and 9.

Having watched all the way through to season nine before reading this book, I had to set my mind back about 7 years to things that the writer would not have known abut later episodes and facts that were used in the television shows. I would suggest those in my position who would want to read this book to do the same.

Some things I liked:

There were some funny moments in the story. For instance, this scene:
"Oh, it wasn't Dean's fault at all!"
The short one suddenly developed a coughing fit, and said, "Dean? That was the orangutan's name?"
"Well, that's what I called him. We've got two on loan from Philadelphia for a while, and I named them Hank and Dean -- y'know, after the Venture Brother."
Looking at John, Bernie said. "Actually, I think Dean's a great name for a big ape, don't you?"
(p. 43 of the paperback edition)

I always wondered how Dean would handle driving in a crowded city. This story took place in New York, so this answered that question. It also gave some background on the both Sam and Dean that we don't get from the shows.

It kept with the Supernatural theme - hunting a ghost and stopping a potential resurrection ritual. It also incorporated some Edgar Allen Poe history in the case.

Some things I didn't liked:

I tried to keep an open mind considering the time frame of when it was written and where it was in the actually TV story line. I was pleased that the author consulted with Kripke with the story. One thing I couldn't just let go was the description of Sam and Dean's eye color. Brown and blue are not their eye colors. This might had been okay except the author supposedly studied Jared and Jensen's role as Sam and Dean. Granted, he might not had been as interested in staring in their eyes as some of fans, but getting the right color seemed to something I would expect to be accurate in this type of book.

There was a lot of "music" in the first half of the book. I understand Dean's obsession with his music, but reading about every song played or could have been played was a little much for me. By the end of the book, this disappeared.
Lots of street names which could have been cut down a lot, as well. This did not end like the music.

Some of the realistic dialogue could have been cut down a little. (I understand that we don't always pronounce things as we should, but it got to be a little much to read at some times.) Example:
"God, Manfred, 'member how she used t'get when we went t'your place?"
It made it choppy while reading it.

Overall, I wouldn't say it was a bad book. I enjoyed it.
I would imagine fans of the show might have some issues with some of it. I would suggest reading the book "for fun" more than a companion to the show in this case.

As for someone who has never seen the show? I'm not sure how they would handle things. They might be a little lost on the finer details. ( )
1 vote Maria1010 | Sep 4, 2014 |
It took me a long time to get into the television program Supernatural; in spite of having several friends who loved the show, and in spite of them insisting that I would love the show too, I didn't start watching the show until it was well into its fifth season. They were right, of course - I DID love the show too, once I gave it a chance.

I really can't say the same about this book, unfortunately. The characterization is really bad; Sam and Dean are only ghostly caricatures of themselves. Dean is portrayed as someone who is more into boozing, women, and music than the actual hunt; on the show, however, those are more extracurricular activities. One doesn't become a hunter for the money or the women, that's for sure, and Sam and Dean echo that throughout the series.

Sam and Dean aren't the only ones who suffer from poor characterization, though; even the author's own creations are two-dimensional at best. The "bad guy" is just laughably dumb and has no real reason to be doing what he's doing (he can't articulate well his motivations, only that he needs to "know the answers").

The book itself is rather boring and not well-written. It was difficult to keep reading the book, because nothing really interesting happened. Even the ending was boring as heck. The only reason I stuck with it is because I hate leaving a book unfinished (plus, I kept hoping that the book would get better - it didn't).

There's not much here that jives with the television show; if you changed the names of the characters, I'd never know that this book was supposed to be a tie-in with the show. ( )
  schatzi | Sep 10, 2013 |
Okay, yeah, I'm a geek and people bought me the Supernatural tie-in novels for Christmas. Nevermore is by Keith R. A. DeCandido. I've read one of his tie-ins before: it's okay, but to some extent I felt he didn't really get inside the characters, even if some of the lines were good.

Same here. The plot felt like Supernatural, but there was no creep factor and I didn't think he got Dean at all. Of course, everyone has their own interpretations of characters, but I felt his characterisation of everyone was pretty flat, even his own characters.

It's kind of fun to read, as a extra bit of the series and for some of the lines and references, but it's not super amazing. ( )
  shanaqui | Apr 9, 2013 |
I heard all things in the heaven and in the earth. I heard many things in hell.

Edgar Allan Poe, The Tell-Tale Heart.
A chill November breeze blew John Soeder's hair into his face, Mother Nature's reminder to get a haircut in the absence of his actual mother being around to nag him about it.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0061370908, Mass Market Paperback)

Twenty-two years ago, Sam and Dean Winchester lost their mother to a mysterious and demonic supernatural force. In the years after, their father, John, taught them about the paranormal evil that lives in the dark corners and on the back roads of America...and he taught them how to kill it.

Their investigation leads them to the center of one of Poe's horror classics, face-to-face with their most terrifying foe yet. And if Sam and Dean don't rewrite the ending of this chilling tale, a grisly serial killer will end their lives forevermore.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:42 -0400)

Sam and Dean have hit New York City to check out a local rocker's haunted house. But before they can figure out why a lovesick banshee in an '80s heavy-metal T-shirt is wailing in the bedroom, a far more macabre crime catches their attention. Not far from the house, two university students were beaten to death by a strange assailant. A murder that's bizarre even by New York City standards, it's the latest in a line of killings that the brothers soon suspect are based on the creepy stories of legendary writer Edgar Allan Poe.--publisher.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,522,193 books! | Top bar: Always visible