The Labours of Hercules: 12 Hercule Poirot…

The Labours of Hercules: 12 Hercule Poirot Mysteries (original 1947; edition 2005)

by Agatha Christie, Hugh Fraser (Narrator)

Member:Snowstorm
Title:The Labours of Hercules: 12 Hercule Poirot Mysteries
Authors:Agatha Christie
Other authors:Hugh Fraser (Narrator)
Info:BBC Audiobooks America (2005), Edition: Unabridged, Audio CD

The Labours of Hercules by Agatha Christie (1947)

English (29)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  All (31)
I often read Agatha Christie books as fillers between other books. They always come through to amuse. This book was different as it was 12 short stories instead of one narrative. This made it nice as light reading over the weelend. I haven't read an Agatha Christie I didn't like! ( )
  Hanneri | Jun 18, 2017 |
Not the best of Agatha Christie, still, quite enjoyable. Some pearls by Hercule Poirot, always an entertaining character. (The movie made of it butchered the story so much you will only recognize it because of the title.) ( )
  MrsRK | Nov 21, 2016 |
I loved the creativity Christie used in tying her Hercule Poirot short stories to the 12 Labors of Hercules in mythology. This collection of short stories were a typical collection of Hercule Poirot mysteries. I enjoyed the cast of characters that paraded through the stories, some even made multiple appearances. My favorite stories were "The Stymphalean Birds" and "The Flock of Geryon". Like with any anthology some stories were not as strong, but I loved the creativity Christie showed and that rose-colored my opinion of all the stories. ( )
  jguidry | Oct 31, 2016 |
I knew this book was going to be filled with short cases, but I thought (for some reason) they would be connected. They were not. I'm not a fan of short mysteries, because there is no development of the case. ( )
  Sareene | Oct 22, 2016 |
The Labors of Hercules – A. Christie
Audio performance by Hugh Fraser
4 stars

Hercule Poirot is about to retire. Leaving his detecting career behind, he plans to take his little grey cells to the country where he will cultivate gourmet vegetable marrows. Before he departs, he determines to undertake 12 more cases; cases of special and particular interest, which will mirror the labors of the classical Hercules. Twelve cases that also give Agatha Christie an opportunity to write 12 wonderful short stories for the little detective.

I thought this was an exceptionally good collection. There was a bit more comedy than in many of her stories. Christie seemed to be poking fun at her little Belgian detective, gently and with affection. Hastings does not appear in any of the stories, but this is the first time I’ve read anything of the resourceful butler, George. (Mildly reminiscent of Peter Whimsy’s Bunter.) Miss Lemon remains ever resourceful and Inspector Japp appears briefly in a story that includes Poirot’s version of ‘THE woman’. I especially liked the spinster, Miss Carnady, who appears in two of the stories. She reminded me a bit of Sayers’ Miss Climpson. (I always wonder about the parallels between these great dames of mystery writing.)

Some of the stories worked better than others. A few were dated in bias and attitude. Hugh Fraser’s performance made all of them enjoyable.

msjudy | May 30, 2016 |

Christie, Agathaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fraser, HughNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hercule Poirot's flat was essentially modern in its furnishings.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425067858, Mass Market Paperback)

On the verge of retirement, Hercule Poirot can't resist the lure of a seemingly unsolvable series of recent crimes--from a lost Pekinese to a man driven mad by love to a gentleman poisoned by gossip.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:50 -0400)

In appearance Hercule Poirot hardly resembled an ancient Greek hero. Yet - reasoned the detective - like Hercules he had been responsible for ridding society of some of its most unpleasant monsters. So, in the period before he retired, Poirot made up his mind to accept just twelve more cases: his self-imposed 'Labors'. Each would go down in the annals of crime as a heroic feat of deduction.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,173,441 books! | Top bar: Always visible