Alone in the Kitchen with an Eggplant by…

Alone in the Kitchen with an Eggplant (original 2007; edition 2007)

by Jenni Ferrari-Adler (Editor)

Presents a collection of essays on cooking and eating for one by twenty-six top writers and foodies, including Ann Patchett, Marcella Hazan, Haruki Murakami, Courtney Eldridge, and Nora Ephron.
Member:rabelaisbooks
Title:Alone in the Kitchen with an Eggplant
Authors:Jenni Ferrari-Adler
Info:Riverhead Hardcover (2007), Hardcover, 288 pages
Tags:food,

Alone in the Kitchen with an Eggplant: Confessions of Cooking for One and Dining Alone by Jenni Ferrari-Adler (Editor) (2007)

The Art of Eating by M. F. K. Fisher (kayejuniper)
    The School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermeister (fyrefly98)
    fyrefly98: One's fiction and the other's a collection of essays, but they're both easy-to-read food writing that evoked very similar reactions.
    American Food Writing: An Anthology: With Classic Recipes by Molly O'Neill (cransell)
    cransell: Another great anthology of food writing. Much longer, but very enjoyable.

quite nice with a few annoying interludes ( )
  reg_lt | Feb 7, 2020 |
Fun little foodie episodes from a variety of writers. Often they are more of a examination of loneliness than eating.

cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
This was a wonderful compilation of brilliant writers on the topic of food and being by oneself. From hating it to relishing it, from fancy food to saltines, all of the stories were fun to read. ( )
  mmaestiho | Sep 20, 2018 |
An interesting collection of essays on the joys or fears of cooking and eating alone. I think I will most remember this book for learning that Ann Patchett shares my guilty love of Spaghetti-Os. As someone who enjoys cooking but has lived alone for much of my adult life, I found a lot here that resonated with me. ( )
  duchessjlh | Mar 26, 2018 |
Borrowed from Catherine D.

I thoroughly enjoyed this collection of essays about cooking and eating alone. I knew of several of the authors already and enjoyed being introduced to some I hadn't read before. Not a dud in the bunch!

Quotes

We read to feel close to people we don't know, to get into other people's heads. I get the same sensation of intimacy from following a recipe. (Introduction, Jenni Ferrari-Adler)

The fact is, I love to feed other people. I love their pleasure, their comfort, their delight in being cared for. Cooking gives me the means to make other people feel better, which in a very simple equation makes me feel better. ("Dinner for One, Please, James," Ann Patchett)

Eating, after all, is a matter of taste, and taste cannot always be good taste. ("Dinner for One, Please, James," Ann Patchett)

You know, the other day, I was eavesreading on the subway... ("Thanks, But No Thanks," Courtney Eldridge)

Just how persecuted were Jews to still feel the need to punish themselves like this? ("The Legend of the Salsa Rosa," Ben Karlin)

From time to time, a friend will drop by my place unannounced. Given that I am Jewish, I am required by Mosaic law to ask if they would like something to eat, and to ignore any utterances that fall short of I thought you'd never ask! ("Que Sera Sarito," Steve Almond)

But let's be realistic: as a writer, you only have so many hours each day, and most of them will be swallowed by procrastination and the ensuing guilt. Try to remember, also, that your friends (though you are duty bound to feed them) are ungrateful freeloaders. ("Que Sera Sarito," Steve Almond)

It would have been nice to add a little milk...but I had sniffed the milk in my fridge and it was bad, I knew it would be rotten, but I sniffed it anyway. Why? Well, human beings often do things when there is no hope. ("Eggs Over Uneasy," Jonathan Ames)

Even if I was still alone, I felt full. The fullness and emptiness could somehow live side by side. I didn't feel lonely. ("Protective Measures," Jami Attenberg)

...cooking chili for me is not unlike the process of writing fiction, which requires the same openness to inspiration and possibility, as well as the same awareness that the final product may be irrecoverably different from what you'd first imagined. ("Wild Chili," Dan Chaon)

All new immigrants yearn periodically for familiar foods. The fulfillment of that yearning can be a difficult, if not impossible, proposition. ("Instant Noodles," Rattawut Lapcharoensap) ( )
  JennyArch | Feb 23, 2016 |

Nobles, PhoebeContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Patchett, AnnContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Rufus, AnneliContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wolfert, PaulaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
It is the privilege of loneliness; in privacy one may do as one chooses. Virginia Woolf, Mrs. Dalloway
Dinner alone is one of life's pleasures. Certainly cooking for oneself reveals man at his weirdest. People lie when you ask them what they eat when they are alone. A salad, they tell you. But when you persist, they confess to peanut butter and bacon deep fried and eaten with hot sauce, or spaghetti with butter and grape jam. Laurie Colwin, "Alone in the Kitchen with an Eggplant," Home Cooking.
For Jofie
Call it seven-thirty on a Wednesday night. No one else is home. A slight hunger hums in your body, so you wander into the kitchen.
I have friends who begin with pasta, and friends who begin with rice, but whenever I fall in love, I begin with potatoes. Sometimes meat and potatoes and sometimes fish and potatoes, but always potatoes. I have made a lot of mistakes falling in love, and regretted most of them, but never the potatoes that went with them. —Nora Ephron, "Potatoes and Love: Some Reflections"
After the visitors had left, I would stand over the sink and eat whatever was around, whatever I needed in order to go and do the work that I love. Even now it is a picture of heaven to me, an evening spent alone and well fed in the tradition of my own low standards. —Ann Patchett, "Dinner for One, Please, James"
To begin: buy yourself some raw tiger-tail shrimp, medium size, two pounds at least. Why tiger tail? Because they are the coolest to order. —Steve Almond, "Que Sera Sarito"

If, sooner or later, we all face the challenge or the pleasure of eating alone, then Alone in the Kitchen with an Eggplant provides the perfect set of instructions. In this unique collection, twenty-six writers and foodies invite readers into their kitchens to reflect on the secret meals they make for themselves when no one else is looking: the indulgent truffled egg sandwich, the comforting bowl of black beans, the bracing anchovy fillet on buttered toast.
From Italy to New York to Cape Cod to Thailand, from M. F. K. Fisher to Steve Almond to Nora Ephron, the experiences collected in this book are as diverse, moving, hilarious, and uplifting as the meals they describe. Haruki Murakami finds solace in spaghetti. Ephron mends a broken heart with mashed potatoes in bed. Ann Patchett trades the gourmet food she cooks for others for endless snacks involving saltines. Marcella Hazan, responsible for bringing sophisticated Italian cuisine into American homes, craves a simple grilled ham-and-cheese sandwich. Courtney Eldridge, divorced from a fancy chef, reconnects with the salsa she learned to make from her cash-strapped mother. Rosa Jurjevics reflects on the influence of her mother, Laurie Colwin, as she stocks her home with salty snacks. Almost all of the essays include recipes, making this book the perfect companion for a happy, lonely—or just hungry—evening home alone.
Part solace, part celebration, part handbook, Alone in the Kitchen with an Eggplant offers a wealth of company, inspiration, and humor—and finally, recipes that require no division or subtraction.
"I have friends who begin with pasta, and friends who begin with rice, but whenever I fall in love, I begin with potatoes. Sometimes meat and potatoes and sometimes fish and potatoes, but always potatoes. I have made a lot of mistakes falling in love, and regretted most of them, but never the potatoes that went with them." —Nora Ephron, "Potatoes and Love: Some Reflections"
"After the visitors had left, I would stand over the sink and eat whatever was around, whatever I needed in order to go and do the work that I love. Even now it is a picture of heaven to me, an evening spent alone and well fed in the tradition of my own low standards." —Ann Patchett, "Dinner for One, Please, James"
"To begin: buy yourself some raw tiger-tail shrimp, medium size, two pounds at least. Why tiger tail? Because they are the coolest to order." —Steve Almond, "Que Sera Sarito"

Jenni Ferrari-Adler is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,282,226 books! | Top bar: Always visible