The Story of Edgar Cayce (There is a River)…

The Story of Edgar Cayce (There is a River) (original 1945; edition 1969)

by Thomas Sugrue (Author)

A new edition of the landmark, worldwide bestseller on the life of the famed medical clairvoyant and founding father of the New Age- Edgar Cayce. Edgar Cayce (1877-1945) is known to millions today as the grandfather of the New Age. A medical clairvoyant, psychic, and Christian mystic, Cayce provided medical, psychological, and spiritual advice to thousands of people who swore by the effectiveness of his trance-based readings. But Cayce was not always a household name. When a young, skeptical journalist named Thomas Sugrue first met Cayce in 1927 the world had not yet heard of the "sleeping prophet." During years of unique access, Sugrue completed his landmark biography, which on its publication in 1942 brought national attention to Cayce and stands as the sole record written during the seer's lifetime. This edition includes a new introduction by historian Mitch Horowitz that highlights the enduring significance of Cayce's message and the role this book played in its dissemination.… (more)
Member:pasilisskj
Title:The Story of Edgar Cayce (There is a River)
Authors:Thomas Sugrue (Author)
Info:Dell (1969), Edition: Tenth, 384 pages
Tags:french kisses ronald s joseph

Work Information

Story of Edgar Cayce: There Is a River by Thomas Sugrue (1945)

I finally finished it!! This was a book club read from 2 yeasts ago. (I know it's horrible but at least I eventually finished) I did skip the case histories at the end though, those were just too dull for me. I found Egdar's story interesting, but the philosophy, not so much. Overall it was just Ok,not my typical read. ( )
  LenaR0307 | May 30, 2016 |
This book was written by a college friend of Cayce's son shortly after Edgar's death in 1945. It was written almost as a narrative more than a biography in a story fashion. I preferred the biography of Cayce more than this book, but it is written my someone who had closer connection possibly.

Two figures in history have always fascinated me Edgar Cayce and Tesla. Both of these men seemed to be tapping into some extrasensorial power that we only have no clues to. Cayce would tell you it was from and about god. Maybe so, if you are a believer in such. I cannot explain him but it does not seem he was a fraud like 99% of the like. His readings were truly remarkable and with his insight to medical terms and afflictions could not have been fabricated with his level of no conscious knowledge of this field whatsoever.

His odd remedies seemed to work, or at least are related to have. The medical community of course scoffed and probably would today. But for those he helped outside of what traditional medicine could do, they certainly believed.

Sugrue concludes the book with a few essays regarding Cayce and his insights. Interestingly enough he talks of the big spiritual changes to come in 1999, He also warns of our disregard for environment. Maybe we are seeing some of the changes there, but our spiritual development seems a work in progress yet. ( )
  knightlight777 | Mar 16, 2013 |
What an amazing man. This book tells the hard life story of this humble man with the most amazing gift. You know by reading it, he was capable of so much more. I would advise anyone with a spiritual interest to read this book. ( )
  johedger | Apr 30, 2011 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,206,847 books! | Top bar: Always visible