Twelve Extraordinary Women: How God Shaped…

by John F. MacArthur (Author)

They were ordinary, common, and in some cases shockingly low-caste, yet each was made extraordinary by her life-changing encounter with God. Readers will be challenged and motivated by Twelve Extraordinary Women, a poignant and personal look into the lives of some of the Bible's most faithful women. Their struggles and temptations are the same trials faced by all believers at all ages. Inside this book, best-selling author and Bible teacher John MacArthur shows that the God to whom they were so committed is the same God who continues to mold and use ordinary people today.… (more)
Member:SavedByGrace289
Title:Twelve Extraordinary Women: How God Shaped Women of the Bible, and What He Wants to Do with You
Authors:John F. MacArthur (Author)
Info:Thomas Nelson (2008), 218 pages

Twelve Extraordinary Women: How God Shaped Women of the Bible, and What He Wants to Do with You by John MacArthur

Twelve Extraordinary Women offers a poignant and personal look into the lives of some of the Bible's most faithful women. Their struggles and temptations are the same trials faced by all believers at all ages. Inside this book, bestselling author and Bible teacher John MacArthur shows that the God to whom they were so committed is the same God who continues to mold and use ordinary people today.
  StFrancisofAssisi | Nov 21, 2020 |
Chronicles the lives and faith of twelve women from the pages of both the Old and New Testaments. The author focuses on Eve, Sarah, Rahab, Ruth, Hannah, Mary, Anna, The Samaritan Woman, Martha and Mary, Mary Magdalene and Lydia.
  StarBethlehem | Jan 6, 2020 |
John MacArthur is my favourite author and preacher and has been for quite some time. His ministry Grace to You gives away a lot of their resources free.

In this book examining the lives and characters of twelve Bible women, MacArthur focuses on Eve, Sarah, Rahab, Ruth, Hannah, Mary, Anna, The Samaritan Woman, Martha and Mary, Mary Magdalene and Lydia. He details the historical context--I'm always amazed by the level of detail which brings the stories to life in a unique way. He describes the impact of these women on their own people and in their own culture and then makes the application for our generation.

MacArthur's main conclusion is that all of these women point us to Christ. That they weren't noticed necessarily for their external appearance or acts, but for their hearts. I was interested in his assessment of Eve....

This book is useful for an in depth character study on each of these women or for a Bible study. I wouldn't advise reading it cover to cover as a story as there is a lot of detail and it might be difficult to take anything in. I read it as a chapter a day which worked quite well.

I recommend this book, not my favourite by MacArthur but definitely worth a read and you will no doubt learn some cultural and historical context that will be new. ( )
1 vote sparkleandchico | Jun 2, 2017 |
Reviewed on The Light Network
  coldwaterchurch | Jan 29, 2017 |
It was okay. Liked his Twelve Ordinary Men better. A lot of creative license based on little Scriptural support. Some interesting ideas, but sometimes he went a little far. I am thinking of using some ideas for a Bible study, but we'll see what happens. At least discussion starters. ( )
  Luke_Brown | Sep 10, 2016 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,669,630 books! | Top bar: Always visible