Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Peak by Roland Smith

Peak (2007)

by Roland Smith

English (96)  French (1)  All languages (97)
"Peak Marcelo’s climbing adventures."
  dneirick | Jun 13, 2019 |
After fourteen-year-old Peak Marcello is arrested for scaling a New York City skyscraper, he's left with two choices: wither away in Juvenile Detention or go live with his long-lost father, who runs a climbing company in Thailand. But Peak quickly learns that his father's renewed interest in him has strings attached.Big strings. As owner of Peak Expeditions, he wants his son to be the youngest person to reach the Everest summit--and his motives are selfish at best. Even so, for a climbing addict like Peak, tackling Everest is the challenge of a lifetime. But it's also one that could cost him his life.
  dneirick | May 8, 2019 |
How does this book not have well over 4 stars, and how has it taken me so long to read it? This is without a doubt one of the two best children's books about survival and adventure. The other is [b: Hatchet|50|Hatchet|Gary Paulsen|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1385297074s/50.jpg|1158125] by Gary Paulsen. Seriously, I can't see any kid, especially boys, not devouring this book. Now that so much about Mt. Everest is on the internet, every kid who reads this is going to be searching the internet for pictures of dead bodies, trash, base camps, and the summit. It's just fascinating material. If you die on Mt. Everest you stay on Mt. Everest. This book is the kid version of [b: Into Thin Air|28335600|Thin Air|Michelle Paver|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1453812852s/28335600.jpg|48382650] by Jon Krakauer.

I'm not going to get into a synopsis, because trust me, you don't need it. You just need to start reading the book. But I will say that one of my favorite things about the book is that Peak's (the main character) mom tells him in a phone call while he's at Base Camp that you have to be selfish in order to make it to the summit, but when he is 10 yards from the summit he makes a move that is the exact opposite. Maybe that annoyed some readers and made them drop their rating, but for me it just made the book that much better. It's true that you can only think of yourself when disaster strikes or you'll be one of those dead bodies left behind. There is a story that Peak's dad tells that illustrates this point perfectly and it also explains why Peak made the decision he did at the Summit.

Just read the book if you have any interest in adventure or if you are a librarian who needs a book that will be a sure thing for boys. ( )
  valorrmac | May 15, 2018 |
Recommended by my daughters 6th grade teacher since we are all climbers. Enjoyable story of a 14 year old boy as he attempts to climb Everest. Great to read along side my kid with lots of teachable moments to talk about. I understand there is a sequel, so we'll be looking into that as well. ( )
  she_climber | Mar 31, 2017 |
Self endurance is one of the hardest things to get through along with that luck, perseverance, courage and strength you can make it to the top everest. You need to be in top physical strength, fitness. but after going through that would you let someone else instead of you be the youngest person to reach the top? ( )
  Brinlie.Jill.Searle | Nov 22, 2016 |
My name is Peak.

Peak is about a boy who is trying to not only find himself, but figure out what what's important in life. He ends up in trouble climbing a skyscraper and finds himself on Everest with his famous father. He then learns by conquering the mountain to conquer himself. He starts to notice the world around him instead of just him. This book would be a great book to use in any of my language arts classes. We would be able to look to any of the literary elements, and the elements of plot through the various characters and conflicts that come up through out the story.
Climbing Everest
would change Peak's life, but is it
worth the sacrifice?
(twhite13)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0152062688, Paperback)

The only thing you’ll find on the summit of Mount Everest is a divine view. The things that really matter lie far below. –Peak Marcello
After fourteen-year-old Peak Marcello is arrested for scaling a New York City skyscraper, he’s left with a choice: wither away in juvenile detention or fly to Kathmandu with his long-lost father. Peak quickly learns that his father’s renewed interest in him has strings attached. As owner of Peak Expeditions, he wants his son to be the youngest person to reach the Everest summit. The story of Peak’s dangerous ascent—told in his own words—is suspenseful, immediate, and impossible to put down.
Awards: ALA Best Book for Young Adults, ALA Quick Pick for Reluctant Young Adult Readers, New York Public Library Book for the Teen Age, Booklist Editors’ Choice, National Book Award Winner, Junior Library Guild Selection

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:00 -0400)

A fourteen-year-old boy attempts to be the youngest person to reach the top of Mount Everest.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,493,482 books! | Top bar: Always visible