Edgar Allan Poe's Tales of Mystery and…

Edgar Allan Poe's Tales of Mystery and Madness (edition 2004)

by Edgar Allan Poe (Author)

A sweet little cat drives a man to insanity and murder. The grim death known as the plague roams a masquerade ball dressed in red. A dwarf seeks his final revenge on his captors. A sister calls to her beloved twin from beyond the grave. Prepare yourself. You are about to enter a world where you will be shocked, terrified, and, though you'll be too scared to admit it at first, secretly thrilled. Here are four tales -- The Black Cat, The Masque of the Red Death, Hop-Frog, and The Fall of the House of Usher -- by the master of the macabre, Edgar Allan Poe. The original tales have been ever so slightly dismembered -- but, of course, Poe understood dismemberment very well. And he would shriek in ghoulish delight at Gris Grimly's gruesomely delectable illustrations that adorn every page. So prepare yourself. And keep the lights on.… (more)
Member:evan.kirshenbaum
Title:Edgar Allan Poe's Tales of Mystery and Madness
Authors:Edgar Allan Poe (Author)
Info:Atheneum Books for Young Readers (2004), Edition: Repackage ed., 144 pages
Collections:441 Bella Corte
Tags:living room

Edgar Allan Poe's Tales of Mystery and Madness by Edgar Allan Poe

Delightfully gruesome. I loved these short stories and Gris Grimly’s illustrations were perfect. I’m so glad I finally read this collection. If you are a fan of EAP, you owe it to yourself to add this book to your collection. ( )
  DGRachel | Oct 1, 2018 |
This book is a collection of Edgar Allen Poe’s poems of The Black Cat, The Masque of the Red Death, Hop-Frog, and The Fall of the House of Usher. Like most of Edgar Allen Poe’s literary works, the words flow together in a way that make you question his cleverness or insanity. For example, on page 7, it states, “I felt it had given me no reason of offense; hung it because I knew that in so doing I was committing a sin – a deadly sin that would so jeopardize my immortal soul as to place it even beyond the reach of infinite mercy.” The poems in this book force the reader to question the line between genius and crazy, which I appreciated since many do not seem to realize the delicacy of human life. Another reason I enjoyed this book is the illustrations. The illustrations are impeccable. They capture the exact mood of Edgar Allen Poe’s poems (in my opinion) and expand the reader’s mind to be open to the artistic value behind the poet’s words, instruments of his creativity. For example, page 43 portrays the people at a party through the skewed eyes of the insane narrator; a woman’s lips comprise half her face and a gentleman’s eyes are of different sizes and shapes. ( )
  Amy_Ko | Nov 11, 2015 |
This is an illustrated collection of four of Poe's stories: The Black Cat, The Masque of the Red Death, Hop Frog, The Fall of the House of Usher.

It was o.k. Poe's a bit twisted and the illustrations were drawn to match. ( )
  LibraryCin | Feb 10, 2014 |
My friend Katie gave me this book. Are the tales disturbing? Yes. Are the illustrations disturbing? Yes. And that's how it should be. ( )
  AmberTheHuman | Aug 30, 2013 |
I have more than half a dozen books with Gris Grimly's illustrations, so needless to say I enjoy his work quite a bit. However, this book doesn't do much to showcase his talent, so I wouldn't recommend it if you're already not familiar with Grimly's work. ( )
  Sean191 | Jan 17, 2011 |

Edgar Allan Poeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Grimly, GrisIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

AR 8.8, Pts 2

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,554,744 books! | Top bar: Always visible