Stars and Stripes: The Story of the American…

Stars and Stripes: The Story of the American Flag

by Sarah L. Thomson

Lesson: Where in the United States is Our Community?
  ccsdss | Feb 26, 2016 |
Another great book to read aloud to students about the history of the United States. The book talks about the different places you can see an american flag and the history behind it. I also like how it brings up September 11, 2001. For elementary students, this is a great book to read so they can gain some knowledge about an event that changed us and the history behind the flag.
  khanai | Dec 9, 2013 |
This is a great book on the American flag. It reveals so much history and so many variations of the flag that anyone with an interest in America or history in general would certainly enjoy this. ( )
  matthewbloome | May 19, 2013 |
As a military member, this book was especially touching to me. I was unaware of all the variations that were used in different parts of the country during different times and areas of the colonies and young country. Although, I was very disappointed with the last page and the blatant slight of Betsy Ross. The author said since they could not prove it felt it was unlikely (without providing facts) then it was left out and deemed untrue. So if we can't prove it untrue, why does it get cut? Oral history is deemed history and this story was passed down from Elizabeth "Betsy" Ross herself so if no one disputed it then, why now? Other than that a very enjoyable book.

Would enjoy teaching kids about our flag but hesitant unless the Betsy Ross incident was clarified and either proven or dis-proven. ( )
  mwflood | Jul 24, 2010 |

Schools, parades, post offices, and the moon. These are just some of the places we see the American flag.

Fifty stars stand for the states that make up this country. Thirteen stripes remind us of the colonies that fought for their freedom. But the flag has not always looked the way it does today. Its history is as colored and rich as our country's past. Yet despite the ways the flag has changed in the past two hundred years, the pride, unity, and strength it inspires have never faltered.

STARS AND STRIPES: The Story of the American Flag invites readers to travel back in time and witness firsthand how our flag came to be.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:09:35 -0400)

An introduction to the history of the American flag, from colonial times to the present.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,746,454 books! | Top bar: Always visible