Will Rogers,: A biography

by Donald Day

REMARKABLE PRESCIENCE FROM STUDYING FACTS. In 1931, when almost every newspaper was predicting rosy prosperity, in his syndicated column Will Rogers the comedian, expressly analyzed the situation in Europe and wrote: "...don't prophesy that Prosperity is just around the corner...But let me tell you that war is nearer around the corner than prosperity is." [271]

REMARKABLE PERSPECTIVITY. "No country ever had more, and no country ever had less...Ten men in our Country could buy the World, and ten million can't buy enough to eat." [271]

DIED. A fluke small plane accident with a bush pilot in Alaska, August 15, 1935. From one who worked with him, Gene Buck's eulogy: "He enjoyed a position never before attained by anyone...He could go any place, see anything, talk or write about it afterward, and in such a way that the humble and the great accepted it".[360]

GOVERNMENT. "Thank God we donet get all the govamint we pay for".

GOOD ROPER. A real cowboy. ( )
  keylawk | Nov 19, 2007 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,038,297 books! | Top bar: Always visible