The Myth of the Rational Market: A History…

by Justin Fox

Examines the rise and fall of the efficient markets theory, the development of modern finance, and the rise of behavioral economics, in an account that draws on interviews with top thinkers while demystifying the ideas that forged the modern market.
Member:dorktv
Title:The Myth of the Rational Market: A History of Risk, Reward, and Delusion on Wall Street
Authors:Justin Fox
Info:Harper Paperbacks (2011), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 416 pages

Work Information

The Myth of the Rational Market: A History of Risk, Reward, and Delusion on Wall Street by Justin Fox

Arrived Lausanne
  LOM-Lausanne | Mar 19, 2020 |
This is an excellent analysis of financial and economic matters. I read the 2009 HarperCollins Kindle e-book edition rather than the 2011 Harriman House Kindle edition listed here. I do not know whether the later edition made any changes to the earlier edition, but I suspect that the two editions are substantially the same, if not identical, in their contents. ( )
  AlanEJohnson | Aug 27, 2014 |
Interesting historical review of the evolution of financial markets, with a behavioral bent that reminded me of the courses delivered by Prof. Shiller (Yale, see oyc.yale.edu, now a Nobel laureate); every model is an abstraction made by people who decide what is relevant ;)

And people, even economists hiding behind formulas, are a constant confirmation of Cipolla's Laws of Human Stupidity: a pile of degrees will not spare you from being conned or deceived- even by yourself, moreover in a "science" (as criticised by an LSE professor from Eastern Europe) where you can not only chose, but even make your own facts ( )
  aleph123 | Apr 24, 2014 |
The Myth of the Rational Market is an extensive history of the efficient market hypothesis, starting in the late 1800s and continuing all the way through 2008. It covers all the major players, explains the discoveries and theories that lead to the hypothesis, and explains how it came unraveled in the 1980s and beyond. As economics can be, sometimes it was a little hard to keep all the threads aligned in my head. Fox does a fairly admirable job of juggling them all, better than many economics texts I’ve read.

It’s rare for me to finish an economics book and feel better informed with information on issues that I actually discuss with friends. Okay, mostly I’m talking about wing-nut friends who like to post "the market is always best" tripe on Facebook or LiveJournal. Now I’ve got the evidence to say "you’re an idiot".

Full review here: http://reading.kingrat.biz/reviews/myth-of-the-rational-market-justin-fox ( )
1 vote KingRat | Apr 25, 2010 |
Time Magazine’s Curious Capitalist takes a look at the history of the efficient-market hypothesis— the notion that market prices reflect aggregate wisdom— in the past century. He livens up the discussion of economics by highlighting the characters involved, bringing much-needed color to discussion of the dismal science. The history shows how the idea developed in academia and found expression in finance, until burgeoning contradictions from the real world began to undermine the notion that we can just leave unregulated free markets to solve all our problems, and points the way to new developments in behavioral economics that help to explain the past and may help us to guide the future. He closes with a moderate perspective:

Where does this leave us? It leaves us with a need to find ways to temper speculative excess while acknowledging that we won’t necessarily be able to distinguish speculative excess from an entirely sustainable boom. Financial regulation will be part of that. A rediscovery of ethics and integrity ... will play a role, too, one hopes. So will memory...

If the events of recent years haven’t already convinced you that rational markets belong to the same domain of idealized tools as frictionless surfaces, massless pulleys, and perfect blackbodies, this will provide you with plenty of food for thought. If you already thought that, it’s a good history of a major current in the economic and financial thinking of the past century. ( )
3 vote slothman | Sep 5, 2009 |
To Allison

Chronicling the rise and fall of the efficient market theory and the century-long making of the modern financial industsry, Justin Fox's The Myth of the Rational Market is as much an intellectual whodunit as a cultural history of the perils and possibilities of risk. The book brings to life the people and ideas that forged modern finance and investing, from the formative days of Wall Street through the Great Depression and into the financial calamity of today. It's a tale that features professors who made and lost fortunes, battled fiercely over ideas, beat the house in blackjack, wrote bestselling books, and played major roles on the world stage. It's also a tale of Wall Street's evolution, the power of the market to generate wealth and wreak havoc, and free market capitalism's war with itself. [adapted from the jacket]

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,215,232 books! | Top bar: Always visible