Mostly Harmless (Hitch Hiker's Guide to the…

Mostly Harmless (Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy) (original 1992; edition 2001)

by Douglas Adams

In the fifth volume of the Hitchhiker series, Random, the daughter of Arthur Dent, leaves her remote home planet on the edge of the universe to set out on a cross-galactic odyssey in search of her ancestors' native planet.
Member:dennymeta
Title:Mostly Harmless (Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy)
Authors:Douglas Adams
Info:Pan Books (2001), Paperback, 229 pages

Mostly Harmless by Douglas Adams (1992)

English (97)  Dutch (1)  French (1)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (101)
Either I have drifted away from the Hitchhiker series or this one is particularly difficult to read. It was very distracting to keep the timelines straight and some people's names changed. That made it even more difficult. I only have a little time each day for reading right now, so maybe the problem was that I couldn't get enough of the story in one read to follow it very well. In the end, I wasn't sure what the point was, but with so many timelines, perhaps the point was in the past and I have to read another book to find it. Otherwise, very typical Douglas Adams with lots of humor. ( )
  krazy4katz | Jan 11, 2020 |
I did it. I finished a thing.
Arthur has had quite a weird little life.
  Shahnareads | Oct 22, 2019 |
How can you not love a humourous sci-fi that quotes Voltaire?

And also this:

"Just look at cash point machines for instance. Queues of people standing around waiting to have their fingerprints read, their retinas scanned, bits of skin scraped from the nape of the neck and undergoing instant (or nearly instant - a good six or seven seconds in tedious reality) genetic analysis, then having to answer trick questions about members of their family they didn't even remember they had, and about their recorded preferences for tablecloth colors. And that's just to get a bit of spare cash for the weekend."

makes me think that Adams was indeed a time-traveler. Because with all the new measures my bank has recently been implementing (new EU directives, apparently), we're just about at the same stage... ( )
  Sammystarbuck | Sep 2, 2019 |
I found this a bit lacking in enthusiasm. A bit too much hopelesness, being stuck, anger, confusion. I felt that Adams has run out of ideas and was repeating himself, with less humor. I was quite bored for parts of it. Overall it is worth finishing and still has some amusing moments. ( )
  Gezemice | Oct 29, 2018 |
Crazy happy Robots. Insane InfiniDim. Adventurous Guide Ford. Happy satisfied Sandwichmaker Arthur. The confused but confident Trillian. Time Travel and Parallel Universe. Love this book. ( )
  deepa_nanjundaswamy | Aug 3, 2018 |

Adams, Douglasprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Chiconi, OscarCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Cross, PeterCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Freeman, MartinNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Saarikivi, JukkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Serra, LauraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Anything that happens, happens.
Anything that, in happening, causes something else to happen, causes something else to happen.
Anything that, in happening, causes itself to happen again, happens again.
It doesn't necessarily do it in chronological order, though.
For Ron
With grateful thanks to Sue Freestone and Michael Bywater for their support, help and constructive abuse.
The history of the Galaxy has got a little muddled, for a number of reasons: partly because those who are trying to keep track of it have got a little muddled, but also because some very muddling things have been happening anyway.
[Book 5 Only] "Mostly Harmless" is the title of the fifth in a series of novels (as well as the fifth in a series of radio dramas). The five works in the series are generally referred to as "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" or "The Hitchhiker Trilogy", as is the series of radio dramas. Though there are unabridged audio recordings of these works, the radio dramas are considerably different from the printed works. Eoin Colfer, of "Artemis Fowl" fame, contracted in 2008 to write the next volume of the "Trilogy."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,656,040 books! | Top bar: Always visible