SantaThing signup ends Monday at 12pm Eastern US. Check it out!
dismiss

The complete sagas of Icelanders, including 49 tales

by Viðar Hreinsson

483433,637 (5)3

m1113 | Nov 30, 2020 |
I recommend this set highly and consider it to be first-rate in every department.

The translations are very good. Importantly, Icelandic words that have no direct English equivalent are translated consistently throughout all the sagas. The original text is rendered into very readable modern English. The translation is "loose", which I think preferable for the book's intended audience. A scholar will want to consult the original Icelandic editions, or if unavailable, a more literal translation.

The books (5 volumes in a slipcase) are magnificent -- typography, layout, paper, binding, etc., etc. These books will long outlast me, and I use them regularly in my writing and research.

The only illustrations are in the "Reference Section", about 60 pages of material at the end of the last volume. The material will be very valuable to the saga reader. It includes: maps; lists of kings and lawspeakers; diagrams showing political and social structures; house, farm, and ship sketches; and others.

Most important is the glossary, with a discussion of old Norse-Icelandic poetry, a list of key concepts and terms (including the ones translated consistently throughout all the sagas), information about placenames, and time and date reckoning, and a cross-referenced index of characters.

Highly recommended for anyone with an interest in the sagas.
1 vote talkingdog | May 25, 2011 |
beautifully produced edition. the sagas themselves are wonderful, and well translated. ( )
  wbf2nd | May 3, 2007 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,348,475 books! | Top bar: Always visible