The Man Who Never Was by Ewen Montagu

The Man Who Never Was (1953)

by Ewen Montagu

Operation Mincemeat: The True Spy Story that Changed the Course of World War II by Ben Macintyre (abdoujaparov)
    abdoujaparov: Operation Mincemeat is an updated retelling of the story originally told in The Man Who Never Was
    Unwillingly To Earth by Pauline Ashwell (infiniteletters)
    infiniteletters: The same scheme occurs in part of Unwillingly to Earth.
    Deception in War by Jon Latimer (bertilak)

Interesting detailed account of a complex British Intelligence operation in WWII. It fooled the Germans.
  MtnGoat | Jul 17, 2016 |
I only read The Man Who Never Was part of this book, I wasn't interested in the fictional account. I know Montagu wrote this in a weekend and no doubt his hands were tied regarding how much he could reveal but I found his telling of the story of Operation Mincemeat to be disappointing, if you want to read about Operation Mincemeat then I would recommend [b:Operation Mincemeat: How a Dead Man and a Bizarre Plan Fooled the Nazis and Assured an Allied Victory|7632329|Operation Mincemeat How a Dead Man and a Bizarre Plan Fooled the Nazis and Assured an Allied Victory|Ben Macintyre|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1327448835s/7632329.jpg|10138518] by Ben MacIntyre. ( )
  KarenDuff | Jun 1, 2016 |
The inside story of perhaps the most successful ruse in the history of warfare. It's a truth more fantastical than fiction, down to the (randomly selected!) codename "Operation Mincemeat." Packed with "there will always be an England" moments.

"You have nothing to fear from a Spanish autopsy" ( )
  ben_a | May 14, 2010 |
I CANNOT wait to read this again! This is one of the (very) few books I actually read when I was young. I remember finding it in an upstairs bedroom at my grandfather's house and reading it. The cover illustration has always stuck in my mind along with the mission name (Operation: MINCEMEAT). My recently piqued interest in WWII and desire to find books from my past caused me to search and purchase this from the web ($.75!)

Can't wait to crack it open again!
  R.I.F. | Sep 4, 2009 |
From vintage scholastic cover: How to suceed in business without really spying:

1. Take one anonymous corpse--give him the identity of a supposed Major of the Royal Marines bearing "top secret" messages;
2. Cast him from asubmarine into the sea just of the coast of Spain;
3. Sit back and wait for the body to be discovered by the Spanish and the messages turned over to the Germans;
4. Then watch the enemy-right up to the High Command--fooled into changing their Mediterranean defense plans!

RESULT: Spectacular success...and one of the most startling and entralling true tales to come out of World War II. ---With a forward by Lord Ismay, G.C.B.,C.H.,D.S.O. The true account of an operation carried out by British Navy Intelligence in 1942-1943.
  Sasha_Doll | Aug 3, 2007 |
To the team
Author's note: This is a true account of an Operation carried out in the years 1942-1943. Such facts as are not within my own personal knowledge are derived from contemporary documents and reports, and are neither based on anyone's recollection of what happened ten years ago nor on anyone's attempts to justify his actions or those of his associates.
Chapter 1: In the graveyard of the Spanish town of Huelva there lies a British subject. As he died, alone, in the the foggy damp of England in the late autumn of 1942, he little thought that he would lie forever under the sunny skies of Spain after a funeral with full military honours, nor that he would, after death, render a service to the Allies that saved many hundreds of British and American lives. In life he had done little for his country; but in death he did more than most could achieve by a lifetime of service.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0192853228, Paperback)

This text provides an insider account of the counter-intelligence operation (Operation Mincemeat) which paved the way for the Allied invasion of Sicily during World War II. It outlines the audacious and innovative plot to outwit the Germans by washing up a dead body on Spanish shores complete with apparently confidential information concealed about its person. Surprising and often amusing difficulties were faced in creating a new life and persona for "the man who never was", but as the new introduction to the book shows, the operation was a phenomenal success.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:58 -0400)

A firsthand account of the creative espionage operation that duped the Nazi high command.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,164,527 books! | Top bar: Always visible