The Fury by Alex Michaelides

The Fury (edition 2024)

by Alex Michaelides (Author)

A masterfully paced thriller about a reclusive ex-movie star and her famous friends whose spontaneous trip to a private Greek island is upended by a murder -- from the #1 New York Times bestselling author of The Silent Patient This is a tale of murder. Or maybe that's not quite true. At its heart, it's a love story, isn't it? Lana Farrar is a reclusive ex-movie star and one of the most famous women in the world. Every year, she invites her closest friends to escape the English weather and spend Easter on her idyllic private Greek island. I tell you this because you may think you know this story. You probably read about it at the time - it caused a real stir in the tabloids, if you remember. It had all the necessary ingredients for a press sensation: a celebrity; a private island cut off by the wind...and a murder. We found ourselves trapped there overnight. Our old friendships concealed hatred and a desire for revenge. What followed was a game of cat and mouse - a battle of wits, full of twists and turns, building to an unforgettable climax. The night ended in violence and death, as one of us was found murdered. But who am I? My name is Elliot Chase, and I'm going to tell you a story unlike any you've ever heard.… (more)
Member:kdowli01
Title:The Fury
Authors:Alex Michaelides (Author)
Info:Celadon Books (2024), 320 pages
Rating:*****

Work Information

The Fury by Alex Michaelides

3.5 stars, this isn't really a mystery or thriller, it's more of a messy friend group and their jealousy and bickering. It's fine, it's quick, but it's predictable as far as the character let's you see. ( )
  KallieGrace | May 8, 2024 |
The Fury is a slow burn murder mystery thriller with an isolated, atmospheric setting. Lana Farrar is a famous retired movie star. She has invited all of her close friends to spend Easter with her on her private Greek Island.
Elliot Chase is the narrator of the unfolding events and reveals the background of all the characters and how they come to be on the island. He is the ultimate unreliable narrator and has a confiding, conversational manner. There are seven people on the island when a murder occurs leaving six suspects. A raging windstorm "The Fury" is occurring leaving no possibility of outside help.
The characters are complex and interesting, and the narrative is well written and skillfully constructed. The story is slow to start but ramps up by the second half. The reader is swept up in the unravelling twists and turns. The book is structured like a play in the style of a Greek tragedy. The Fury is a clever and engaging thriller. ( )
1 vote PennyOlson | Mar 13, 2024 |
Not my favorite by this author. ( )
  Suem330 | Mar 9, 2024 |
Alex Michaelides has an off-the-wall mind. This is a psychological thriller that has not one, but three or four unreliable narrators. In other words, don't believe anything that you read. The book is dark and chilling, and depicts how the occurrences from childhood forever mould a person's mind. If an individual has a terrible childhood, the lessons that they learn to survive, which could be good or very, very bad, survive into adulthood. The book is intricately plotted, and the characterizations are real and visceral. The plot is full of surprising twists and turns, that will keep readers guessing throughout. Again, don't believe anything you read, and you won't fall down any of the many rabbit holes that are in this book. The book is set on a remote Greek island, and the atmosphere of the island mirrors the plot of this book. I found the book went on a bit long, and I wanted to skip through it off and on throughout, but because I was listening rather than reading, it's harder to skip ahead. If you like twisty thrillers, than you will enjoy this book. ( )
1 vote Romonko | Mar 2, 2024 |
A meandering story with a bit of suspense. None of the characters was likable and I wasn't excited to solve the mystery. I didn't appreciate the tricks, frequent "well that's what I WISH happened" asides from the narrator that do nothing but make him lose the reader's trust. I love an unreliable narrator, but this one is unreliable, unlikable, and uninteresting. Some good twists near the end that aren't worth waiting for.

I wish this had been like And Then There Were None. Maybe it wishes it was, but it's not even close.

The author is from Greece I believe, and the winds and weather were nicely drawn, but the atmosphere in general was a bit lacking. This being a character study, though, that's not too important. It just doesn't give the travel/vacation feeling that it could've.

Thank you NetGalley for the ARC. I purchased a copy for my library. ( )
1 vote Kaitlin_KL | Feb 27, 2024 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 205,744,977 books! | Top bar: Always visible