Anne Frank: Diary of a Young Girl by Frank

Anne Frank: Diary of a Young Girl (original 1947; edition 1990)

by Frank (Author)

Member:jessicadpeters
Title:Anne Frank: Diary of a Young Girl
Authors:Frank (Author)
Info:Pocket (1990), Edition: 1st, 341 pages

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank (1947)

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (kidzlitsmc, mihmb, alalba, PghDragonMan, l_rigsby)
    kidzlitsmc: this story of a German hiding a Jew and not a Jew being hidden helps you to understand that it wasn't just hard for Jews.
    PghDragonMan: Both side of hiding during the Holocaust
    We Are Witnesses: Five Diaries Of Teenagers Who Died In The Holocaust by Jacob Boas (MerryMary, gangleri)
    MerryMary: Puts Anne in perspective with four others of her generation in similar circumstances.
    A Hatred for Tulips by Richard Lourie (khuggard)
    khuggard: a fictional story about a young boy who reveals the hiding place of Anne Frank and her family.
    Night by Elie Wiesel (jmarsico)
    An Interrupted Life: the Diaries of Etty Hillesum, 1941-1943 by Etty Hillesum (christiguc)
    The Diary of Anne Frank: A Play in Two Acts by Frances Goodrich (Marie.Veliz)
    Anne Frank House: A Museum with a Story by Janrense Boonstra (JqnOC)
    Mooie-zinnenboek by Anne Frank (guurtjesboekenkast)
    Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Both told as diaries written by young women growing up 'under siege'.
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (JqnOC)
    The Journal of Hélène Berr by Hélène Berr (guurtjesboekenkast)
    guurtjesboekenkast: Zowel Hélène Berr als Anne Frank zijn Joods en hebben een dagboek tijdens de oorlog geschreven. In 1945 zijn zij allebei aan tyfus overleden in het Duitse concentratiekamp Bergen-Belsen.
    The Upstairs Room by Johanna Reiss (bookel)
    Victor Kugler: The Man Who Hid Anne Frank by Rick Kardonne (maryanntherese)
    maryanntherese: A biography of the man who orchestrated the Secret Annex.
    Charlotte Salomon. Leben? Oder Theater? by Edward van Voolen (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Zwei junge Frauen, die versuchen dem Grauen schreibend bzw. malend zu entkommen.
    The Diary of Dawid Sierakowiak. Five Notebooks from the Lodz Ghetto by Dawid Sierakowiak (bluepiano)
    bluepiano: Another diary kept by a Jewish teenager under Nazi occupation. Sierakowiak is remarkably intelligent and level-headed and he is starving.
    East West Street: On the Origins of Genocide and Crimes Against Humanity by Philippe Sands (shaunie)
    Grace in the Wilderness: After the Liberation 1945-1948 by Aranka Siegal (juniperSun)
    juniperSun: Both deal with young Jewish teen girls in WWII, similar feelings.
    Nebel im August by Robert Domes (gangleri)
    gangleri: The right to live, the right to freedom are the most basic rights. « Nebel im August » (a book written in German) is about the live of Ernst Lossa whom was not granted this right either. The book is written in a very lyrical style, it illustrates that we have more in common then we are aware and reminds us what is really important.… (more)
    In My Hands: Memories of a Holocaust Rescuer by Irene Gut Opdyke (meggyweg)
    The Diary of Petr Ginz by Petr Ginz (meggyweg)

1940s (5)
Elevenses (203)
. (3)

English (359)  Spanish (11)  Italian (6)  German (6)  Dutch (5)  Portuguese (1)  Latvian (1)  Czech (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Swedish (1)  French (1)  Hebrew (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (395)
This book hits you like a wall of bricks. A 13 year old Anne is given a diary on her birthday and she writes on everything for two years in Amsterdam. This book in one aspect is just like any young girl's diary: exploring sexuality, love, justice, religion and hope. The circumstances are so different though: in 1940, Germany invaded the Netherlands and began to persecute Jews. In 1941, Anne lost her German citizenship. In 1942, Margot (Anne's older sister) received a call to be taken to a concentration camp and family went into hiding in the secret annex where Otto (her father) worked. Van Pels family (Hermann, Auguste, and Peter) and Fritz Pfeffer joined them shortly after. Anne is happy at first, but living at such close proximity with limited resources have its challenges. Throughout the book with heavy heart, many thoughts came to my mind. One pressing one: If they were going to suffer the end they ran away from, what was the point in all this?
Then it is not all in vain. One of Anne's biggest dream was to share her diary and become a writer- she accomplished that even if she did not know this. She experienced love and first kiss. She advanced her education in language and writing... She got to live 2 more years... about 2.5% of a life.. Another interesting point is: No wonder Jewish people earn more per year and more successful than any other religious group. In that horrendous environment, they were still encouraging their children's education and personal growth.
I would recommend this book to anyone who has an interest in reading. Anne would have become one of the best writers of our time, if she had a chance... We are lucky to have her undivided attention for two years to produce this beautiful piece of art. ( )
  soontobefree | Jun 25, 2019 |
This is a diary about Anne Frank and her troubles. It talks about her hide out. It talk about what happens to her friends. She talks about how the Nazis take over. How the Nazis find her and her family. She talks about how miserable it was to live. She talks about how she wishes this would've never happened.

This book made me really sad. I felt so sorry that the jews had to go through that mess of a world. I hate that we have that part in our history. Yet at the same time I'm almost glad that we have this in history so we know never to let this happen ever again. I would recommend this to anyone you loves the historical books, nonfiction, and diaries from people who survived terrible things. I felt so bad for all the people that had to endorse this trashy part of our history. This was a good yet sad book. ( )
  JaelynI.G1 | May 29, 2019 |
The book is very intresting espicially because it talks about the war. It shows every single detail of the actual Anne Frank diary. I think other people should read it because it talks about how Anne Frank and her family run away from their home town in order to be safe. Anne Frank has a diary a describes every little thing that happens to her and her family. ( )
  nicoati | May 3, 2019 |
This is quite fascinating but at the same time its pretty sad since it talks about the holocaust and it dated back then were the Germans used to kill the Jewish people. It gets pretty sentimental some times since you have a little girl who is fighting and her parents got taken away. This book show a lot about Anne Frank who shows her courage. ( )
  YunierValenzuela | Apr 30, 2019 |
It feels inherently wrong to throw a rating on someone's literal diary but I'm basing it on how long it took me to get into the book and my experience reading it.

I normally do not read non-fiction nor do I read things set in "historical" times, WW2 being the exception. I've wanted to read this book forever and I finally picked it up this year after a prompt for library bingo was "Read a book set in war time." and I thought it would be the perfect opportunity.

However, it took me FOREVER to get into this book. It took so long to trudge through more than ten pages a time in the very beginning. When I finally did get my bearings with the book, I enjoyed it. I don't have many qualms with the content because after all, it is her diary. I found it very refreshing that Anne experienced attraction to girls, as it is not in every single version and the edited version is the most widely known. I enjoyed "watching" her grow up through her diary entries.

Although it took me a while to get into the book and I read it quite slowly, I did enjoy my time with it. ( )
  readbybrit | Apr 18, 2019 |
It is a truly remarkable book. Its revelation of the emotional turmoil and intellectual growth of an adolescent girl during extraordinarily difficult circumstances is psychologically fascinating. Its portrayal of ordinary people under frightful nervous strain and perpetual forced intimacy is wise and perceptive. Anne was precociously mature in her understanding of both herself and of others.

Anne Frank's diary is too tenderly intimate a book to be frozen with the label "classic," and yet no lesser designation serves... But her book is not a classic to be left on the library shelf. It is a warm and stirring confession, to be read over and over for insight and enjoyment.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Meyer Levin (pay site) (Jun 15, 1952)

Frank, Anneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Romein-Verschoor, AnnieForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roosevelt, EleanorIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, GeorgePrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vita, ArrigoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I hope I shall be able to confide in you completely, as I have never been able to do in anyone before, and I hope that you will be a great support and comfort to me.
On Friday, 12th June, I woke up at six o' clock and no wonder; it was my birthday
I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart.
There are several distinct versions of Anne Frank's Diary. Please be careful when combining and separating.

The Definitive Editions and the Revised Critical Editions should not be combined with each other or with this group of editions.
This edition of Anne's diary is not a definitive version. Please combine only with older editions.

Il "Diario" della ragazzina ebrea che a tredici anni racconta gli orrori del Nazismo torna in una nuova edizione integrale, curata da Otto Frank e Mirjam Pressler, e nella versione italiana da Frediano Sessi, con la traduzione di Laura Pignatti e la prefazione dell'edizione del 1964 di Natalia Ginzburg. Frediano Sessi ricostruisce in appendice gli ultimi mesi della vita di Anna e della sorella Margot, sulla base delle testimonianze e documenti raccolti in questi anni.
(piopas)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553296981, Mass Market Paperback)

A beloved classic since its initial publication in 1947, this vivid, insightful journal is a fitting memorial to the gifted Jewish teenager who died at Bergen-Belsen, Germany, in 1945. Born in 1929, Anne Frank received a blank diary on her 13th birthday, just weeks before she and her family went into hiding in Nazi-occupied Amsterdam. Her marvelously detailed, engagingly personal entries chronicle 25 trying months of claustrophobic, quarrelsome intimacy with her parents, sister, a second family, and a middle-aged dentist who has little tolerance for Anne's vivacity. The diary's universal appeal stems from its riveting blend of the grubby particulars of life during wartime (scant, bad food; shabby, outgrown clothes that can't be replaced; constant fear of discovery) and candid discussion of emotions familiar to every adolescent (everyone criticizes me, no one sees my real nature, when will I be loved?). Yet Frank was no ordinary teen: the later entries reveal a sense of compassion and a spiritual depth remarkable in a girl barely 15. Her death epitomizes the madness of the Holocaust, but for the millions who meet Anne through her diary, it is also a very individual loss. --Wendy Smith

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:53 -0400)

A young girl's journal records her family's struggles during two years of hiding from the Nazis in war-torn Holland.

4 1902

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140264736, 0141315199, 0141336676

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,732,046 books! | Top bar: Always visible