The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank

The Diary of a Young Girl (original 1947; edition 1993)

by Anne Frank

The journal of a Jewish girl in her early teens describes both the joys and torments of daily life, as well as typical adolescent thoughts, throughout two years spent in hiding with her family during the Nazi occupation of Holland.
Member:afroza.nowshin
Title:The Diary of a Young Girl
Authors:Anne Frank
Info:Bantam, Mass Market Paperback, 283 pages
Rating:***

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank (1947)

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (kidzlitsmc, mihmb, alalba, PghDragonMan, l_rigsby)
    kidzlitsmc: this story of a German hiding a Jew and not a Jew being hidden helps you to understand that it wasn't just hard for Jews.
    PghDragonMan: Both side of hiding during the Holocaust
    We Are Witnesses: Five Diaries Of Teenagers Who Died In The Holocaust by Jacob Boas (MerryMary, gangleri)
    MerryMary: Puts Anne in perspective with four others of her generation in similar circumstances.
    A Hatred for Tulips by Richard Lourie (khuggard)
    khuggard: a fictional story about a young boy who reveals the hiding place of Anne Frank and her family.
    Anne Frank House: A Museum with a Story by Anne Frank Stichting (JqnOC)
    Night by Elie Wiesel (jmarsico)
    An Interrupted Life: The Diaries of Etty Hillesum 1941-43 by Etty Hillesum (christiguc)
    The Diary of Anne Frank: A Play in Two Acts by Frances Goodrich (Marie.Veliz)
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (JqnOC)
    Mooie-zinnenboek by Anne Frank (guurtjesboekenkast)
    Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Both told as diaries written by young women growing up 'under siege'.
    The Upstairs Room by Johanna Reiss (bookel)
    The Diary of Dawid Sierakowiak. Five Notebooks from the Lodz Ghetto by Dawid Sierakowiak (bluepiano)
    bluepiano: Another diary kept by a Jewish teenager under Nazi occupation. Sierakowiak is remarkably intelligent and level-headed and he is starving.
    Victor Kugler: The Man Who Hid Anne Frank by Rick Kardonne (maryanntherese)
    maryanntherese: A biography of the man who orchestrated the Secret Annex.
    The Journal of Hélène Berr by Hélène Berr (guurtjesboekenkast)
    guurtjesboekenkast: Zowel Hélène Berr als Anne Frank zijn Joods en hebben een dagboek tijdens de oorlog geschreven. In 1945 zijn zij allebei aan tyfus overleden in het Duitse concentratiekamp Bergen-Belsen.
    East West Street by Philippe Sands (shaunie)
    In My Hands: Memories of a Holocaust Rescuer by Irene Gut Opdyke (meggyweg)
    Grace in the Wilderness: After the Liberation 1945-1948 by Aranka Siegal (juniperSun)
    juniperSun: Both deal with young Jewish teen girls in WWII, similar feelings.
    Charlotte Salomon. Leben? Oder Theater? by Edward van Voolen (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Zwei junge Frauen, die versuchen dem Grauen schreibend bzw. malend zu entkommen.
    Mist in augustus by Robert Domes (gangleri)
    gangleri: The right to live, the right to freedom are the most basic rights. « Nebel im August » (a book written in German) is about the live of Ernst Lossa whom was not granted this right either. The book is written in a very lyrical style, it illustrates that we have more in common then we are aware and reminds us what is really important.… (more)
    Anne Frank's Tales from the Secret Annex by Anne Frank (Cecrow)
    Cecrow: Fiction written by Anne Frank while in hiding.

1940s (4)
Elevenses (102)
Europe (338)
. (3)
Books (13)

English (413)  Spanish (13)  Italian (10)  German (6)  Dutch (5)  Portuguese (Portugal) (2)  Swedish (2)  Catalan (2)  Latvian (1)  Czech (1)  Portuguese (1)  French (1)  Portuguese (Brazil) (1)  Hebrew (1)  Hungarian (1)  All languages (460)
First off, you can't really review a diary, now can you? These are simply my thoughts and connections I had with Anne.

I studied writing in college (have a degree in Fiction Writing) and one of the common questions that would rise was - would you let others read your journals or would you read theirs? My answer was always "No" to letting others read mine - at least until I was way past gone and there was no one else alive that personally knew me. I then battled with the answer for authors, and honestly, I try to keep the same route unless the author says otherwise. I've read a ton of historical fiction based in World War II, I've watched movies, I've seen documentaries, I've even watched the multiple versions of this diary's adaptation, but I hadn't ever read the book. Until now.

It came up a lot, surprisedly, while in quarantine. Online, when people would whine about being stuck inside and not being able to go out, people brought up Anne and the others hidden away in the Secret Annex for 761 days. After doing research on it, I discovered it was Anne's wish to publish this diary. She didn't get to edit the entire thing, but she had gotten started. She writes in her diary how she wanted to be a journalist and share this with the world. That's the only reason I felt okay reading her diary.

That being said, reading this diary was like talking with a friend. Anne had such a perspective on life that was way beyond her years. I almost always forgot she started this diary as a thirteen-year-old schoolgirl and it ended shortly after fifteen. She made me laugh and smile, she made me really think of the world, even 75 years later. For someone who was in hiding for her life, she really did try to hold on to hope.

"...But I looked out of the open window too, over a large area of Amsterdam, over all the roofs and on the horizon, which was such a pale blue that it was hard to see the dividing line. "As long as this exists," I thought, "and I may live to see it, this sunshine, the cloudless skies, while this lasts, I cannot be unhappy." (23 February, 1944)

Anne went through important milestones in her life while being constantly under watch by some adult. You think being a teenager is hard enough, add being the youngest and having every adult you're even remotely close to hovering over your shoulder. She mentions a few times where she was just in a cranky mood but felt like she couldn't justify it and therefore would have to say she had a headache or something when the adults asked. Nothing was private.

All I can say is that I'm thankful for Anne for keeping this diary. She may have passed, but she still lives on, and will continue to live on as long as we keep sharing these stories.

"We all live, but we don't know the why or the wherefore. We all live with the object of being happy; our lives are all different and yet the same. We three have been brought up to good circles, we have the chance to learn, the possibility of attaining something, we have all reason to hope for much happiness, but... we must earn it for ourselves. And that is never easy. You must work and do good, not be lazy and gamble, if you wish to earn happiness. Laziness may appear attractive, but work gives satisfaction." (6 July, 1944). ( )
  oldandnewbooksmell | Sep 24, 2021 |
This very famous diary was an average diary. Pretty sure I had to read this for school in the 1980s.

But I was far more interested in what happened to Anne after she was taken to the camps. WHY were she and her sister and mother not gassed? She died of cholera - I think. If Hitler's program was to terminate all jewish women and children, then why were these ladies not gassed upon their arrival at the camps? ( )
  Robloz | Sep 23, 2021 |
It’s so well expressed for such a young girl. She may have died but her memory did lived on for many years to come. Such innocence yet mature disposition, having not yet lived past her 16 birthday, Anne Frank has definitely made her mark.

Here's my full review:
http://www.sholee.net/2018/08/mpov-diary-of-young-girl.html ( )
  Sholee | Sep 9, 2021 |
This review was originally posted on Once Upon a Chapter

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank is the type of book that you can't really apply a rating to. After all, how do you place a star rating to the events that a real person has lived? You can't.

I started reading The Diary of a Young Girl that everyone is familiar with; the little mauveish/brown color paperback. While reading, I'd get curious about something Anne had written and do some internet research. I was almost finished when I realized that there was a "deluxe" edition out in the world. Otto Frank, Anne's father and sole family member to survive the Holocaust, edited and removed entries or sections that he wished to keep private. Mr. Frank left his earthly belongings to the Anne Frank Foundation including Anne's original diary. The Foundation would later publish the diary with the missing entries.

I remember reading parts of The Diary of Anne Frank in elementary school and seeing the play. Looking back I knew that WWII and the Holocaust was bad but I know there is no way that I understood a fraction of the statistics. As an adult I don't even understand. Re-reading The Diary of a Young Girl was slightly heartbreaking. There were entries where Anne would talk about what kind of person she wanted to be and I'd have to stop for a bit because I knew what Anne couldn't. As silly as it sounds, I felt like as long as I read the book Anne was still alive. Normally the end of a book is bittersweet. The end of The Diary of a Young Girl is just bitter. The decision to stop wasn't the author's and knowing what would come made it a hard pill to swallow.

I was heartsick for awhile after finishing Anne's story but I feel that the more we know, the more we can learn.
  stephaniedloves2read | Aug 8, 2021 |
It is a truly remarkable book. Its revelation of the emotional turmoil and intellectual growth of an adolescent girl during extraordinarily difficult circumstances is psychologically fascinating. Its portrayal of ordinary people under frightful nervous strain and perpetual forced intimacy is wise and perceptive. Anne was precociously mature in her understanding of both herself and of others.

Anne Frank's diary is too tenderly intimate a book to be frozen with the label "classic," and yet no lesser designation serves... But her book is not a classic to be left on the library shelf. It is a warm and stirring confession, to be read over and over for insight and enjoyment.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Meyer Levin (pay site) (Jun 15, 1952)

Frank, Anneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Roosevelt, EleanorIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Schütz, AnnelieseTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, GeorgePrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vita, ArrigoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I hope I shall be able to confide in you completely, as I have never been able to do in anyone before, and I hope that you will be a great support and comfort to me.
Foreword: Anne Frank kept a diary from June 12, 1942, to August 1, 1944.
[ Comment Added by Anne on September 28, 1942:]
So far you truly have been a great source of comfort to me, and so has Kitty, whom I now write to regularly.
I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart.
There are several distinct versions of Anne Frank's Diary. Please be careful when combining and separating.

The Definitive Editions and the Revised Critical Editions should not be combined with each other or with this group of editions.
This edition of Anne's diary is not a definitive version. Please combine only with older editions.

Il "Diario" della ragazzina ebrea che a tredici anni racconta gli orrori del Nazismo torna in una nuova edizione integrale, curata da Otto Frank e Mirjam Pressler, e nella versione italiana da Frediano Sessi, con la traduzione di Laura Pignatti e la prefazione dell'edizione del 1964 di Natalia Ginzburg. Frediano Sessi ricostruisce in appendice gli ultimi mesi della vita di Anna e della sorella Margot, sulla base delle testimonianze e documenti raccolti in questi anni.
(piopas)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140264736, 0141315199, 0141336676

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,126,559 books! | Top bar: Always visible