Das Tagebuch der Anne Frank by Anne Frank

Das Tagebuch der Anne Frank (original 1947; edition 1957)

by Anne Frank

Member:evareads
Title:Das Tagebuch der Anne Frank
Authors:Anne Frank
Info:Union Verl. (1957), Gebundene Ausgabe
Tags:biography, historical, german, young adult

The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank (1947)

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak (kidzlitsmc, mihmb, alalba, PghDragonMan, l_rigsby)
    kidzlitsmc: this story of a German hiding a Jew and not a Jew being hidden helps you to understand that it wasn't just hard for Jews.
    PghDragonMan: Both side of hiding during the Holocaust
    We Are Witnesses: Five Diaries Of Teenagers Who Died In The Holocaust by Jacob Boas (MerryMary, gangleri)
    MerryMary: Puts Anne in perspective with four others of her generation in similar circumstances.
    A Hatred for Tulips by Richard Lourie (khuggard)
    khuggard: a fictional story about a young boy who reveals the hiding place of Anne Frank and her family.
    An Interrupted Life: the Diaries of Etty Hillesum, 1941-1943 by Etty Hillesum (christiguc)
    Night by Elie Wiesel (jmarsico)
    Anne Frank House: A museum with a Story by Janrense Boonstra (JqnOC)
    The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne (JqnOC)
    Mooie-zinnenboek by Anne Frank (guurtjesboekenkast)
    Parable of the Sower by Octavia E. Butler (amberwitch)
    amberwitch: Both told as diaries written by young women growing up 'under siege'.
    The Diary of Anne Frank by Frances Goodrich (Marie.Veliz)
    The Journal of Hélène Berr by Hélène Berr (guurtjesboekenkast)
    guurtjesboekenkast: Zowel Hélène Berr als Anne Frank zijn Joods en hebben een dagboek tijdens de oorlog geschreven. In 1945 zijn zij allebei aan tyfus overleden in het Duitse concentratiekamp Bergen-Belsen.
    The Upstairs Room by Johanna Reiss (bookel)
    Victor Kugler: The Man Who Hid Anne Frank by Rick Kardonne (maryanntherese)
    maryanntherese: A biography of the man who orchestrated the Secret Annex.
    East West Street: On the Origins of Genocide and Crimes Against Humanity by Philippe Sands (shaunie)
    Charlotte Salomon. Leben? Oder Theater? by Edward van Voolen (JuliaMaria)
    JuliaMaria: Zwei junge Frauen, die versuchen dem Grauen schreibend bzw. malend zu entkommen.
    Grace in the Wilderness: After the Liberation 1945-1948 by Aranka Siegal (juniperSun)
    juniperSun: Both deal with young Jewish teen girls in WWII, similar feelings.
    A Girl Named Helen Keller by Margo Lundell (krizia_lazaro)
    Nebel im August by Robert Domes (gangleri)
    gangleri: The right to live, the right to freedom are the most basic rights. « Nebel im August » (a book written in German) is about the live of Ernst Lossa whom was not granted this right either. The book is written in a very lyrical style, it illustrates that we have more in common then we are aware and reminds us what is really important.… (more)
    In My Hands: Memories of a Holocaust Rescuer by Irene Gut Opdyke (meggyweg)
    Rutka's Notebook: A Voice from the Holocaust by Rutka Laskier (meggyweg)

1940s (5)
. (3)

English (341)  Spanish (9)  Italian (6)  German (6)  Dutch (5)  Latvian (1)  Czech (1)  Portuguese (1)  Swedish (1)  Hebrew (1)  Hungarian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (374)
This isnt the exact version of this book I read in middle school but I remember reading this book and having really good discussion and activities on the information in the book. Has tragic and real events and brings up controversial topics. ( )
  dgillu1 | Oct 15, 2018 |
Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl is about a young Jewish girl, growing up during the time of World War II. Anne Frank told her story with so much detail and what it was like in the Secret Annex. She told about the struggles she and her family had along with friends in the Annex. She had to be quiet during the day and not doing anything during the night in fear the people downstairs would hear. She tells about the love of two different Peters. She eventually becomes depressed, feeling that she and her family would have been better off dead. In the end, she never got to finish her final draft of her diary, because she and her family and friends were found.

I absolutely loved this book. It was so well written and had details and photos within the book. When I visited the Secret Annex, it didn't even scrape the beginning of what she wrote. She had so much passion for her writing. She even wanted to publish her diary when the war ended but it never happened because died. Her father did eventually publish it, editing some parts out of course. I wish she lived and published it how she would of liked it. ( )
  EvelynL.B2 | Oct 1, 2018 |
This is an amazing story of a young girl who's family, along with a few others, are hiding from the Nazi police. This is a young girl (12 I think) and she is starting to see the world differently because of such. This story is a true story about Anne and her life while in hiding. She is stuck in a tiny space with more people than there can fit. What I like most about this book is the ability to relate to something from decades ago, in a German occupied country during WW2, but understanding the feelings of judgement, incredible boredom, boys, and becoming an adult. I think this boo would be good for children ages 10-18. ( )
  MorganneLloyd | Oct 1, 2018 |
I refuse to rate this book, because it's a classic of epistolary literature, biography, and a memorial to the real people who died in the Holocaust. It seems almost bad to do it because it's a teenage girl's diary. Anne Frank was a bright, insightful teenage girl, but how do you rate Anne Frank's life? How do you deal with the knowledge that even this is edited to take out the sexy bits and the parts where Anne is, like many a teenage girl, really hard on her mother? I tend to agree with Otto Frank's choices to an extent - Anne is already memorialized as imperfect and teenage and showing either his dead wife or daughter at their worst seems not helpful.

I also refuse to rate this book because I think people should come back to this book as an adult. It's a readable book for younger readers, but I think this is one where your resonances change over time and so a "5 star" rating seems incongruous somehow.
  jeninmotion | Sep 24, 2018 |
I don't know how I managed to get this far in life without reading Anne Frank's The Diary of a Young Girl. I've even been to the Anne Frank house in Amsterdam but I had not read the diary. I finally got around to it this summer. I listened to the audio recording of the definitive edition, which includes several pages that were purposely omitted from its initial publication. Anne went through puberty during her time in hiding. Her diary transcends the bounds of time and space, documenting the rites of passage of teens in every time and place. Anne writes of conflict with her mother and older sister, of the joys and despair of first love, of her dreams for her future and her life's work. Although her life was tragically short, she fulfilled one of her dreams. Through her diary, she achieved worldwide and lasting fame as an author. Like many readers before me, I grieve for what might have been and the many more books that were never written. ( )
  cbl_tn | Aug 5, 2018 |
It is a truly remarkable book. Its revelation of the emotional turmoil and intellectual growth of an adolescent girl during extraordinarily difficult circumstances is psychologically fascinating. Its portrayal of ordinary people under frightful nervous strain and perpetual forced intimacy is wise and perceptive. Anne was precociously mature in her understanding of both herself and of others.

Anne Frank's diary is too tenderly intimate a book to be frozen with the label "classic," and yet no lesser designation serves... But her book is not a classic to be left on the library shelf. It is a warm and stirring confession, to be read over and over for insight and enjoyment.
added by Shortride | editThe New York Times Book Review, Meyer Levin (pay site) (Jun 15, 1952)

Frank, Anneprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Romein-Verschoor, AnnieForewordsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Roosevelt, EleanorIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stevens, GeorgePrefacesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vita, ArrigoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
I hope I shall be able to confide in you completely, as I have never been able to do in anyone before, and I hope that you will be a great support and comfort to me.
On Friday, 12th June, I woke up at six o' clock and no wonder; it was my birthday
I still believe, in spite of everything, that people are truly good at heart.
There are several distinct versions of Anne Frank's Diary. Please be careful when combining and separating.

The Definitive Editions and the Revised Critical Editions should not be combined with each other or with this group of editions.
This edition of Anne's diary is not a definitive version. Please combine only with older editions.

Il "Diario" della ragazzina ebrea che a tredici anni racconta gli orrori del Nazismo torna in una nuova edizione integrale, curata da Otto Frank e Mirjam Pressler, e nella versione italiana da Frediano Sessi, con la traduzione di Laura Pignatti e la prefazione dell'edizione del 1964 di Natalia Ginzburg. Frediano Sessi ricostruisce in appendice gli ultimi mesi della vita di Anna e della sorella Margot, sulla base delle testimonianze e documenti raccolti in questi anni.
(piopas)

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0553296981, Mass Market Paperback)

A beloved classic since its initial publication in 1947, this vivid, insightful journal is a fitting memorial to the gifted Jewish teenager who died at Bergen-Belsen, Germany, in 1945. Born in 1929, Anne Frank received a blank diary on her 13th birthday, just weeks before she and her family went into hiding in Nazi-occupied Amsterdam. Her marvelously detailed, engagingly personal entries chronicle 25 trying months of claustrophobic, quarrelsome intimacy with her parents, sister, a second family, and a middle-aged dentist who has little tolerance for Anne's vivacity. The diary's universal appeal stems from its riveting blend of the grubby particulars of life during wartime (scant, bad food; shabby, outgrown clothes that can't be replaced; constant fear of discovery) and candid discussion of emotions familiar to every adolescent (everyone criticizes me, no one sees my real nature, when will I be loved?). Yet Frank was no ordinary teen: the later entries reveal a sense of compassion and a spiritual depth remarkable in a girl barely 15. Her death epitomizes the madness of the Holocaust, but for the millions who meet Anne through her diary, it is also a very individual loss. --Wendy Smith

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:53 -0400)

A young girl's journal records her family's struggles during two years of hiding from the Nazis in war-torn Holland.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140264736, 0141315199, 0141336676

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,605,905 books! | Top bar: Always visible