The Shotgun Rule: A Novel by Charlie Huston

The Shotgun Rule: A Novel (edition 2007)

by Charlie Huston (Author)

Blood spilled on the asphalt of this town long years gone has left a stain, and it’s spreading. Not that a thing like that matters to teenagers like George, Hector, Paul, and Andy. It’s summer 1983 in a northern California suburb, and these working-class kids have been killing time the usual ways: ducking their parents, tinkering with their bikes, and racing around town getting high and boosting their neighbors’ meds. Just another typical summer break in the burbs. Till Andy’s bike is stolen by the town’s legendary petty hoods, the Arroyo brothers. When the boys break into the Arroyos’ place in search of the bike, they stumble across the brothers’ private industry: a crank lab. Being the kind of kids who rarely know better, they do what comes naturally: they take a stash of crank to sell for quick cash. But doing so they unleash hidden rivalries and crimes, and the dark and secret past of their town and their families.… (more)
Member:DESTROYandPLUNDER
Title:The Shotgun Rule: A Novel
Authors:Charlie Huston (Author)
Info:Ballantine Books (2007), 256 pages
Tags:to-read

Work Information

The Shotgun Rule by Charlie Huston

Better than I expected. Stand by Me meets No Country for Old Men. Really good. ( )
  nushustu | Aug 5, 2019 |
The story is a bit jumbled, almost quit halfway through. It all ties together ok in the end, though. ( )
  sitting_duck | Mar 22, 2018 |
Charlie Huston writes everyday chaos likes it's happening right in front of him and he's reporting what he's seeing. Authentic dialog, humor, complex characters are all part of his slim, violent volumes. With The Shotgun Rule he doesn't disappoint. Four teenage boys teetering between delinquency and a life of hard crime bite off more than they can chew when they discover a meth lab run by three Hispanic brothers who have accepted their roles on the hard side. When the boys steal a bag of the meth, they set off a series of events that rekindle feelings buried decades ago and change their lives forever. ( )
  MugsyNoir | Oct 27, 2017 |
Best ever meth thriller set in Livermore! ( )
  HenryKrinkle | Jul 23, 2014 |
This was a fine thriller. Couple things bothered me. First, it used the annoying option where it starts with an event that happens at one point in time, and then goes back in time to tell the story. This book sprinkled that approach through out. All it did was confuse me at the start, and then annoyed me when I figured out what was going on. I do not like "spoilers." The author did a fine job of not having spoilers, but other books/television shows are not so kind. I guess I made the book guilty through association. The second thing that bothered me is also my fault: I am judgmental about drug users. The main characters were frequent drug users, and that made it hard for me to root for the guys, and not just roll my eyes in snotty superiority. That doesn't make me feel good. Even with those two fairly major (for me) complaints, this is an exciting/page turning read; one I will give four stars. Charlie Huston may make it into my favorite author list. ( )
  mainrun | Mar 19, 2014 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,221,127 books! | Top bar: Always visible