Parts (Picture Puffin Books) by Tedd Arnold

Parts (Picture Puffin Books) (original 1997; edition 2000)

by Tedd Arnold (Author)

Series: Parts (1)

A five-year-old boy thinks his body is falling apart until he learns new teeth grow and hair and skin replace themselves.
Member:kim.shields
Title:Parts (Picture Puffin Books)
Authors:Tedd Arnold (Author)
Info:Puffin Books (2000), Edition: Reprint, 32 pages

Work Information

Parts by Tedd Arnold (1997)

The young narrator has discovered a disturbing trend: There's fuzz in his belly button his toes are peeling and something just fell out of his nose. The last straw is a loose tooth, which convinces him of the awful truth his parts are coming unglued!Parts deals with a subject of deepest interest to every young child: the stuff our bodies shed. Parents will appreciate the reassuring message that it's all quite normal, while Tedd Arnold's comical illustrations and rhyming text are guaranteed to make young readers laugh their heads off.
  wichitafriendsschool | Sep 6, 2022 |
Parts is one of my nieces' (ages 4 & 7) most requested books. It tells the story of a little boy who seems to be coming undone- or is he? It is laugh-out-loud funny, but be warned, there is a bit of a gross-out factor. ( )
  tiasreads | Dec 11, 2019 |
I thought this book was very silly and fun. The illustrations were exciting and fun. I think its perfect for preschool and kinder as it explains your body. ( )
  Heather.s.mccormick | Oct 16, 2019 |
Parts is a classic book that brings the conversation of bodily changes (in young kids who are elementary school aged) into a picture book. Arnold does an excellent job of making light of some of these changes that truly happen to children by exaggerating those occurrences fully. He does this in order to derive some humor from it and to engage his readers. For example, when the main character realizes that his tooth is coming loose, his reactions go from simply worried to absolutely horrified – “As scared as I can be, ‘cause finally what’s happening is very clear to see – the glue that holds our parts together isn’t holding me!!!”. Throughout this book, the author’s writing follows a rhyming scheme which includes a steady pace of text that is engaging and fun to follow. The text in itself is humorous, for example; “then yesterday, before my bath, as I took off my clothes, a chunk of something gray and wet fell right out of my nose.” This quote is definitely blowing the whole situation out of proportion, but it is exactly what some kids actually believe when they notice changes with their bodies. While this children’s picture book is funny, which adds to its appeal to young readers, it also brings up a relevant question/point in children’s lives when they want to know what is happening with their bodies. At the end of this book, Arnold leaves the reader with a message that it is all normal and to talk to your parents, which can bring the reader some relief, but it is also laced with humor to continue on with the literary pattern that is present throughout the book. ( )
  nwacht2 | Oct 8, 2019 |
$12.99
  CapitalCityPCS | Sep 19, 2019 |

Belongs to Series

Parts (1)
For Mike, John, Fred, Matt, Phil and Ryan
Keep it together guys!
I just don't know what's going on
Or why it has to be.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,121,296 books! | Top bar: Always visible