More Tales of the City (Maupin, Armistead.…

More Tales of the City (Maupin, Armistead. Tales of the City Series, V.… (original 1980; edition 1994)

by Armistead Maupin

Member:evareads
Title:More Tales of the City (Maupin, Armistead. Tales of the City Series, V. 2.)
Authors:Armistead Maupin
Info:Perennial (1994), Paperback
Tags:queer

More Tales of the City by Armistead Maupin (1980)

More Tales of the City
by Armistead Maupin

This book continues the characters that are introduced in Tales of the City, which is the first of this particular series. One of the things that makes this particular book interesting is that each chapter is relatively short, so it is quickly read and makes it easy for a reader to find a stopping point when they need to put it down for awhile. The reason for this ease isn't because Maupin wrote them this way as a book, but because the chapters are originally articles that appeared in, I believe don't quote me on this, the San Francisco Chronicle. Each chapter was featured as the daily story and because of this the book seems highly dramatic at time because it would be fairly obvious that each article had to keep the reader invested to return to it the next day to read. The thing is though there are overarching themes that actually get solved as well, which makes it very interesting to read in its entirety. As a reader you want to know what the secrets are because Maupin makes you invested in each o the characters. Each character has their own individual life, but as a collective group they make a beautiful book. I really enjoyed this book and plan on reading the next in the series entitled Further Tales of the City. If you want a book that will surely turn out to be a guilty pleasure for you to read then look no further than this and the first book in the series. You will love them and thank yourself for reading them!! ( )
  SoulFlower1981 | Jan 20, 2016 |
Good follow up to Tales of the City with same cast of characters. ( )
  bogopea | May 26, 2015 |
[More Tales of the City] carries on with most of the same characters and putting some flesh on some earlier minor characters. I love it that the bad guys get bad ends, and the good guys just keep on keepin' on! I also love that I've read these books before so I remember some of the plot completions, but not all. The hints are broad, and amusing when you know the outcome, but I'm sure I miss as many as I catch. I will be continuing. The books make me feel good about life and some of the flawed people in my life as well as those in the books. I am smiling. ( )
1 vote maggie1944 | Aug 10, 2014 |
Though the characters are (more or less) familiar, the scenarios get weirder and more unbelievable as the Tales of the City run on - a little too soapy for my tastes. Also, the weirdly racist (for no real reason except shock / laugh value) remarks continue to get more and more frequent - a big turn-off for me. ( )
  milkyfangs | Aug 9, 2014 |
I sometimes watch Chinese dramas / soap operas with my mother, and I always marvel (in a baffled sort of way) that in as large a city as portrayed in the show, all the characters in the story are inevitably and inexplicably intertwined in their relationships: personal, social, professional, etc. -- you name it. It's no different here, but the symbiosis works in the case of the books in this series; after all, there is a certain eccentricity amongst the characters that keeps the 'ecosystem' rich and thriving. On to Book 3: 'Further Tales Of The City'.
  MomsterBookworm | Jul 14, 2014 |
Au fil des années 80 et de six volumes, les Chroniques ont connu, Aux Etats-unis, un succès croissant, critique autant que public : bien au-delà de San Francisco et d'un lectorat gay, Maupin a peu à peu conquis une audience internationale qui, pas plus que ses personnages, ne se renferme dans un quelconque ghetto. La qualité littéraire y est pour beaucoup : les saynètes qui constituent la trame du récit sont certes tissées de dialogues, mais la justesse parfaite du ton ne doit pas occulter l'écriture. Les Chroniques nous parlent en effet du présent sur un mode désuet (...). Les tableaux nous promènent dans toute la société, du monde au demi-monde, du vernissage au rodéo gay, de la débutante à la punkette, du prêtre au policier - jusqu'à la reine d'Angleterre.
added by Ariane65 | editLe Monde, Eric Passin

Maupin nous présente des hommes, des femmes, des jeunes, des vieux, des ambitieux, des tendres...Les maîtres mots de sa saga culte sont "solidarité et "amitié". Tout le monde s'y retrouve.
added by Ariane65 | editElle, Alix Girod de l'Ain

Armistead Maupinprimary authorall editionscalculated
Nixon, CynthiaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
As the poets have mournfully sung,
Death takes the innocent young,
The rolling in money,
The screamingly funny,
And those who are very well hung.
W. H. AUDEN
For Ken Maley
The valentine was a handmade pastiche of Victorian cherubs, pressed flowers and red glitter.

The tenants of 28 Barbary Lane have fled their cozy nest for adventures far afield. Mary Ann Singleton finds love at sea with a forgetful stranger, Mona Ramsey discovers her doppelgänger in a desert whorehouse, and Michael Tolliver bumps into his favorite gynecologist in a Mexican bar. Meanwhile, their venerable landlady takes the biggest journey of all—without ever leaving home.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:25 -0400)

The lives of the colorful residents of a San Francisco boarding house are comically intertwined as they search for themselves, their lovers, and families.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,149,408 books! | Top bar: Always visible