Twenty-Seven Minutes by Ashley Tate

Twenty-Seven Minutes (edition 2024)

by Ashley Tate (Author)

"In this stunning and propulsive debut, a town grieves the loss of a young girl-but some fight to keep the truth about her death a secret. For fans of Jane Harper, Ashley Flowers, and Everything I Never Told You by Celeste Ng. The question For the last ten years, the small, claustrophobic town of West Wilmer has been struggling to understand one thing: Why did it take young Grant Dean twenty-seven minutes to call for help on the fateful night of the car accident that took the life of his beloved sister, Phoebe? If he'd called sooner, she might still be alive. The secret As the anniversary of Phoebe's death approaches, Grant is consumed by memories of that night on the bridge and everything he lost: his future, his reputation, his little sister. And the secret he's been keeping all these years is suffocating him. But he and Phoebe weren't the only ones in the car that night. Becca was there. She knows what happened-and she will do anything to help Grant keep his secret. The truth Everyone in West Wilmer remembers Phoebe, but only June remembers that another person was lost that night. Her brother Wyatt has been missing for ten years and now June is alone-no family, no friends. Until someone appears at her door. Someone who may know where Wyatt went all those years ago. Someone who knows what really happened on the bridge that night. Someone who is ready to tell the truth. Taking place over three days and culminating in a shocking twist that will leave you breathless, Twenty-Seven Minutes is a gripping story about what happens when grief becomes unbearable, dark secrets are unearthed, and the horrifying truth is revealed"--… (more)
Member:Rosemary1973
Title:Twenty-Seven Minutes
Authors:Ashley Tate (Author)
Info:Dreamscape Media (2024)
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:**1/2

Work Information

Twenty-Seven Minutes by Ashley Tate

Who is the bad guy are they ghosts? Car accident ( )
  Rosemary1973 | Jun 11, 2024 |
I had a hard time connecting to the characters in this book. I wasn't invested in what happened until halfway through the story. I did like that the chapters are short and that they alternate POV between the main characters affected by the accident and that we alternate between the present and the past. I was not able to guess the ending of this story, so that was a great surprise. ( )
  Shauna_Morrison | May 31, 2024 |
A single question has haunted them for a decade: why did it take Phoebe Dean's brother, Grant, so long 27 to call for help?‚Äč TWENTY-SEVEN MINUTES is the debut novel by Canadian Ashley Tate. After her mother died suddenly, the author wanted to write about how dark and transforming grief can be. She used an event set in a small town to share that feeling of fear that comes when everything changes in an instant.
Just don't expect to actually like any of the characters. ( )
  MM_Jones | Feb 17, 2024 |
What really happened the night of the accident ten years ago?

Why didn't Grant call the ambulance immediately instead of waiting twenty-seven minutes to call for help.

It has been ten years and those people that know what happened have been struggling with the truth they didn't make known all of these years.

Now that they are going to have a memorial service for Phoebe, Grant's sister, will the truth come out?

Why do they need this memorial when another person just got killed on that same bridge, and talk of tearing it down are in the works?

And what about the disappearance of Wyatt on the same night? Had he been involved?

TWENTY-SEVEN MINUTES goes back and forth in time telling events and life situations from ten years ago and present day.

The book took a while to catch my interest, and the odd characters were none that I could warm up to or sympathize with, but it does get better so don't give up.

There is a surprise ending. 4/5

Thank you to the publisher for a copy of this book. All opinions are my own. ( )
  SilversReviews | Feb 5, 2024 |
Ten years ago on a bridge in the small town of West Wilmer Phoebe Dean died in a car accident in which she was travelling with her brother, Kent, and local girl, Becca. But why did it take Kent 27 minutes to phone for help? What really happened that night?

This is quite a bleak and sad story set in a claustrophobic town where its inhabitants all seem to have secrets or are very reserved. None of them are particularly likeable, either. I liked the writing style, however, it drew me in and I was eager to know what exactly happened on the night of the accident. On the other hand I did find it a little drawn out and protracted. I read this book via the Pigeonhole app so perhaps, in this instance, it would have been better to read it continuously to gain momentum, rather than in a serialised format. I enjoyed it, though, and thought it depicted small town dynamics very well. A well written and engaging read with an interesting twist ( )
  VanessaCW | Feb 4, 2024 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,350,882 books! | Top bar: Always visible