Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Gilgamesh the King by Robert Silverberg

Gilgamesh the King (1984)

by Robert Silverberg

Series: Gilgamesh [Silverberg] (1)

English (6)  Italian (1)  All languages (7)
I don't usually associate the name Robert Silverberg with historical fiction, but this one was good. It is a story set in Mesopotamia, and tries to show how life might have been for people in the Middle East during the Biblical era. ( )
  JBarringer | Dec 30, 2017 |
I got half way through. Then the book became really slow. The beginning was outstanding though. ( )
  kaipakartik | Aug 16, 2014 |
Silverberg is always good, often great, here he is at his greatest. An epic story retold in modern format. The great King who conquers all, but what he fears most—death. A dream-like quality, mythic, primitive, primal, intimate, compelling and surprisingly real. The sequel, where Gilgamesh continues his life and adventures in the afterlife, is equally good.
I did read the novel way before this 2005 edition, but no longer have those details. ( )
  Traveller1 | Mar 30, 2013 |
Interesting fictionalization of the Gilgamesh myths ( )
  turtlesleap | Jul 22, 2011 |
Silverberg's "Gilgamesh The King" is a well written, entertaining story. The level of detail in description of both the common and the other worldly captivates the reader and brings the world to life. In my reading I found the characters to be the most enjoyable because of the sheer breadth of their interactions which range from love and hate and both at the same time. While some minor issues nag at me, I'd recommend the story to anyone who wants to read a more approachable epic. ( )
1 vote BookMarc | Jul 13, 2009 |

Robert Silverbergprimary authorall editionscalculated
Burns, JimCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Crisp, StevenCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is a retelling of

This is Diana’s book
There is in Uruk the city a great platform of kiln-baked brick that was the playing field of the gods, long before the Flood, in that time when mankind had not yet been created and they alone inhabited the Earth.

Recreates the legend of the demi-god Sumerian king Gilgamesh, slayer of monsters and master of unsurpassed treasures, who searches for the key to immortality.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,478,632 books! | Top bar: Always visible