Your Blood, My Bones by Andrew Kelly

Your Blood, My Bones (edition 2024)

by Andrew Kelly (Author)

1193233,756 (4.2)1
Wyatt Westlock has returned to her childhood home of Willow Heath, intending to burn it down--until she finds Peter hanging in the basement, a boy whom she considered a friend, semi-immortal and ritually sacrificed every year to keep the ancient forces in the nearby forest at bay.
Member:Kamryn_Moon
Title:Your Blood, My Bones
Authors:Andrew Kelly (Author)
Info:Scholastic Press (2024), 368 pages

Work Information

Your Blood, My Bones by Andrew Kelly

Originally posted on Just Geeking by.

Content warnings:
The author lists the following content warnings:

Animal death (not pets)
Elements of body horror
Mild gore
Insects / Spiders
Mild depictions of torture

Heading back to the farmhouse where she spent her summers, Wyatt is planning to burn the place and her memories of her father’s neglect to the ground with it. She is not expecting to find, Peter, one of her childhood friends, locked up in the basement. Her desire to leave the past behind in one large, fiery gesture is put on hold as she learns there was a lot more happening every summer while she, Peter and their friend James hung out. The place has a history, her family has a legacy, and it’s now hers, and it’s a bloody one that Wyatt can’t avoid.

Your Blood, My Bones by Kelly Andrew grew on me as I read it. It’s set in the same world as The Whispering Dark, but it is a lot darker in tone and content, and I wasn’t expecting it. That isn’t to say it’s a bad thing, far from it, it just took me a minute to get my footing when I first started reading it. Andrew has such a unique way with words, and her descriptions are out of this world. Every time I read something by her, it’s a complete experience in itself.

In Your Blood, My Bones she has spun a wonderfully dark story filled with cryptids, plant magic and friendship tinged with trauma and grief. It took me a ridiculously long time to recognise that a certain name being dropped was THAT person from The Whispering Dark until it was right in my face. I loved the way that Andrew linked the two books, and that her next book is also set in the same world.

This is one of those books that you need to experience rather than read about. If you enjoy gothic horror, unique world-building, dark magic and found family friendships then this is for you!

BLOG | REVIEWS | REVIEW SCHEDULE | TWITTER | INSTAGRAM | PINTEREST |
  justgeekingby | May 9, 2024 |
Wyatt has been in an emotional limbo for the past five years. That was the night her mother drove her away from the Maine farm she'd spent summers at, playing with Peter and James, boys of the same age. Her memories of the farm are mixed, fond ones of the boys, not so fond ones of her father and what seemed to transpire at night there.
When James' father arrives to inform her of her father's death and that she now owns the farm, her initial impulse is to go there and burn everything down. When she enters the decrepit building with a can of gas, she makes a shocking discovery. Peter is not only still alive, but held prisoner in the cellar by roots of a tree growing outside the house. Once she decides to free him, it sets in motion a mix of slow reveal, horror, and a gradual understanding by Wyatt, Peter, and James who joins them...But who's really real, and how have the strange rituals that have taken place on the farm for such a long time, affected the trio as well as everyone who ever set foot on the property? Read this chilling tale to find out. ( )
  sennebec | Apr 26, 2024 |
I really liked this book beautifully written, paced very well and kept me thoroughly invested throughout the entire time. I. was very excited to read this and so glad I did I will definitely be getting this as a physical copy once it comes out ( )
  Frogiekins04 | Jan 27, 2024 |

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,343,540 books! | Top bar: Always visible