SantaThing signup ends Monday at 12pm Eastern US. Check it out!
dismiss

Old Possum's book of practical cats by T. S.…

Old Possum's book of practical cats (original 1939; edition 1939)

by T. S. Eliot

These playful verses by a celebrated poet have delighted readers and cat lovers around the world ever since they were gathered for publication in 1939. As Valerie Eliot has pointed out, there are a number of references to cats in T.S. Eliot's work, but it was to his godchildren, particularly Tom Faber and Alison Tandy, in the 1930s, that he first revealed himself as "Old Possum" and for whom he composed his poems.… (more)
Member:RegalKnieval
Title:Old Possum's book of practical cats
Authors:T. S. Eliot
Info:New York : Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, 1982, c1939.

Work Information

Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats by T. S. Eliot (1939)

English (78)  Danish (1)  All languages (79)
I'm not sure what to think about this. I mean i knew the stage show was based on these poems, i didn't realise they are effectively the libretto. Its mostly word for word.

Also, is this even poetry? I didn't think poetry had chorus's but this does. I might have even had a hard time knowing how to rhyme it without knowing the cadence used in the show.

Sidenote, the art now reminds me of the film version :lol .

Anyway i don't really feel like i've experienced anything new having read this. ( )
  wreade1872 | Nov 28, 2021 |
Just some good fun and levity during the hellish end of my master's research project. I'd known "The Naming of Cats" for years, and recited it to my future in-laws over the holidays, and it was about darn time I read the whole thing.

Also, fun fact, I'm pretty sure my aunt named her cat Eliot in honor of the author. Yeah, my family's awesome.

Again, I forget when I actually read this. ( )
  books-n-pickles | Oct 29, 2021 |
I have never actually read these poems before. They were very descriptive and interesting. I enjoyed them rather a lot more than I was expecting to. I read this collection of poems because it is short!!

I have of course seen the musical CATS on stage, but that was many many years ago. Back in the 1990s before I got married.

My favourite song from the musical is of course - Memory - but that song was written for the musical, and is not from the original collection of poems.

There also does not seem to be a poem about Grizzell either. At least not in the edition I read. (Faber and Faber 1948). Was she an original character for the musical or was she part of Old possums original collection of practical cats? ( )
  Robloz | Sep 23, 2021 |
You know, I thought I'd read this before, in my youth, but apparently I'd only read one or two of the poems somewhere, as I'm quite sure most of them were new to me. Well, I'm glad to have finally made their acquaintance! This is a fun little collection of delightful, interestingly rhymed nonsense, with perhaps a slightly extra appeal for us cat lovers, who can look with fond recognition on felines like Rum Tum Tugger, who is always on the wrong side of every door. I was smiling a lot through most of it, and (with, admittedly, the exception of a couple of unfortunate terms used for Chinese people -- er, cats) it holds up really well.

I have no idea, though, how or why anybody managed to make a musical out of this, never mind that waking nightmare of a movie I regret having watched the trailer for. But let us not speak of that again. ( )
  bragan | May 27, 2021 |
This is a book I've wanted to read since I was a kid. Cats was my favourite musical. I'd check the cast recording CD out from the library all the time. I knew it was based on this book, but I could never quite find a copy.

I found one in my local library system. It's interesting seeing where the changes were made. In some cases, I like the original poems better. They have much more character to them.

This was a fun read. ( )
  purenightshade | Mar 5, 2021 |

Eliot, T. S.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bentley, NicolasIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gorey, EdwardIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hallqvist, Britt G.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scheffler, AlexIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
This Book is respectfully dedicated to those friends who have assisted its composition by their encouragement, criticism and suggestions: and in particular to Mr. T. E. Faber, Miss Alison Tandy, Miss Susan Wolcott, Miss Susanna Morley, and the Man in White Spats.

O. P.
The Naming of Cats is a difficult matter,
It isn't just one of your holiday games;
You may think at first I'm as mad as a hatter
When I tell you, a cat must have THREE DIFFERENT NAMES.
This is a work by T.S. Eliot.  Please do not combine with the Diary-Calendar of the same name.  Thank you!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,363,658 books! | Top bar: Always visible