Child of God by Lolita Files

Child of God

by Lolita Files

Dysfunctional family, indeed. This book was a lot more complex than I thought it would be. The characters are all flawed and vivid and original. There's a lot more incest than I expected but it's not too graphic, thankfully. I've certainly seen worse.

Although the narration does jump around from character to character, it's not hard to keep track of what they're all going through. The only thing that didn't make sense to me was the author's choice to label each section by year/years and then jump back and forth in time. At times I would have preferred a more straightforward approach.

I enjoyed the quotes from various real-world people, writers and such, that also marked the beginning of each section; they relate perfectly to what the characters are going through at any given time and add depth to the story.

The story isn't perfect but it's well written and riveting. It never stagnates. I was almost sad to see it end as I grew so attached to the characters. Recommended. ( )
  CosimaS | May 20, 2017 |
Too many characters. After 120 pages I had a difficult time trying to figure out where these people came from. Who is whose child. ( )
  JerseyGirl21 | Jan 24, 2016 |

In this searing novel, bestselling author Lolita Files tells the tale of a Southern family torn apart by the secrets it struggles to keep.

Everybody knows everybody else's business in Downtown, Tennessee. Neighbors while away afternoons at the local bar, swapping rumors about voodoo, incest, and illegitimate children. Usually they're gossiping about the Botens.

In this epic saga, Lolita Files unveils the hidden lives of three generations of the Boten clan, a family as cursed by fate as they are blessed with hope. There's Grandma Amalie, who's willing to sacrifice everything for her son; there's Grace, who manages to conceal the identity of her child's father for more than twenty years; there's Aunt Sukie, whose strange power over her husband, Walter, is matched only by the strength of her dark magic; and, finally, there's Lay, whose secret betrayals will set the Boten clan in motion, sending its members on a quest for self-discovery that will lead them from one end of the world to the other.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:11:44 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,410,311 books! | Top bar: Always visible