Everyone on This Train Is a Suspect

by Benjamin Stevenson

Series: Ernest Cunningham (2)

When the Australian Mystery Writers' Society invited me to their crime-writing festival aboard the Ghan, I was hoping for some inspiration for my second book. The program is a who's who of crime writing royalty. But when one of us is murdered, 6 authors quickly turn into 5 detectives. Together, we should know how to solve a crime. Or commit one.… (more)
Recently added byJoeB1934, Rini55, BrendaRT20, ProcterLibrary, wdwilson3, private library

fiction/mystery, standalone sequel - set in the desert plains of Australia during a fair-weathered season.

enjoyed this sequel as well as the first, though with fewer bodies it took a while to get into (it's ok--I don't need to tear through every book). I was able to piece some clues together (there are a couple of puzzle clues and I half-figured out the easier one) but still plenty surprised during the multiple reveals. Would recommend ☺. ( )
  reader1009 | Feb 11, 2024 |
Following the success of his debut, Everyone In My Family Has Killed Someone, Ernest Cunningham is delighted to be invited to a writers' convention taking place on a train that runs down the center of Australia from north to south. He's less delighted, of course, when his fellow authors begin to drop dead...

A worthy follow-up to the first book in the series, with a couple of nods toward Christie, but with its own mode of storytelling. I think this book could stand well enough on its own, though I enjoyed the first one just as much, so you might as well start there. If you read it a while back and your memory of it has faded, don't fear diving straight into this one. Good fun for mystery readers. ( )
  foggidawn | Feb 6, 2024 |
Second in this mystery murder series is better than the first!

This book is filled with wry humor, cryptic clues, sardonic asides; it's quite witty and clever. At times I laughed out loud as the author in the story writes his first-person account of a trip he takes on a train. This isn't just any old train, it's the luxury Ghan, and on board are writers, publishers, agents, reviewers, and fans who are attending the Australian Mystery Writers' Festival.

The fictional author is none other than Ernest Cunninham who had made his true crime debut writing about the murders that took place during his family reunion. His book sold well, but his agent wants him to take a stab at writing fiction. He's on this train with his girlfriend, Juliette, whom he met at the resort where the family reunion was held. They plan to attend all the of the panels, workshops, and discussions while Ernest works through a bit of writer's block. Lo and behold, one of the more famous authors is murdered and finally, Ernest has the inspiration he needs for a book.

You will remember, having read the first book, that Ernest is very direct and speaks to the reader about the rules of writing detective novels and he's a stickler to following them. He points out the obvious and also throws in some tantalizing hints of what the reader should be figuring out. It's all great fun and he invites the reader along on his mission to out the killer and solve the case.

I enjoyed this one so much more than the first. May be because I do love trains and the Ghan is unique. I'll definitely look for more titles by Benjamin Stevenson in the future as I love the style of the writing and the way he tells a story in this unique way.

Thank you to NetGalley and Mariner for the e-book ARC to read, review, and recommend. ( )
1 vote CelticLibrarian | Feb 6, 2024 |
You might be thinking that the title of Benjamin Stevenson's new novel - Everyone on This Train Is a Suspect - is somewhat familiar. And you'd be right. Stevenson's last book was Everyone in My Family Has Killed Someone, featuring Ernest Cunningham. He's the lead character from that first book. If you've not read that first book (And why not!?) I'm not going to spoil it for you.

Ernest has penned a book about what went down. But he's still surprised to find that he's on a train with six other authors for the Australian Mystery Writers Society festival. And I'm sure you can guess what happens next...

I love how the book is presented. Ern speaks to the reader in the opening prologue, setting things up, and giving out clues as to how the book will unfold - and why. Will you remember those clues as the plot unfolds? I love 'locked room' plots and this is an excellent one! Ernest checks up on the reader as the book progresses.

Stevenson is a clever, clever writer. I laughed out loud more than once as I read. And the final aha moment? Stevenson kept me guessing all the way. Didn't see that coming at all. ( )
1 vote Twink | Feb 1, 2024 |
The second book in the Ernest Cunningham series was just as entertaining and fun as the first book. It was clever and funny - if you liked the movie Knives Out, then I think you would enjoy this book. I hope Benjamin Stevenson continues this series. Thanks to NetGalley for the digital ARC. ( )
  susan.h.schofield | Jan 27, 2024 |

Benjamin Stevensonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Smart, MeganNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Welch, BartonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 202,010,746 books! | Top bar: Always visible