The Shawl: A Story and Novella (1989)

by Cynthia Ozick

A devastating vision of the Holocaust and the unfillable emptiness it left in the lives of those who passed through it.

English (20)  Italian (1)  All languages (21)
In Auschwitz, mother wraps her baby in her Shawl and hides it but eventually the Nazi's find the baby. ( )
  evatkaplan | Apr 22, 2020 |
Brilliant and brutal. ( )
  viviennestrauss | Dec 13, 2019 |
Terse and harrowing, The Shawl is a dry-mouthed nightmare, interrupted only to discover the droning window unit has went demonic. ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |
In addition to the title short story, the audio recording I listened to includes the novella Rosa. The Shawl is set in a concentration camp, and Rosa is set in Miami several decades later. The events of The Shawl are difficult to hear, but it's mercifully short. Rosa is a character study of a Holocaust survivor. The narrator's voice had me picturing Rosa as Sophia on The Golden Girls. That's not as odd as it seemed to me at first since the actress who played Sophia, Estelle Getty, was Jewish, not Sicilian like her character! ( )
  cbl_tn | Jul 13, 2018 |
I can't say I loved this book. It was broken and terrible and haunting; I don't know how anyone could live like this. Or maybe they just don't. ( )
  UDT | May 1, 2018 |

Ozick, Cynthiaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Flothuis, MeaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Shmulenson, YelenaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

This book contains both the short story The Shawl (first published in the New Yorker in 1980) and its sequel, the novella Rosa (first published in the New Yorker in 1983). Both won first place (separately) in the annual O. Henry Prize Stories collections.

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,931,625 books! | Top bar: Always visible