Edgar Allan Poe: Complete Tales and Poems (1914)

by Edgar Allan Poe

Brings together Poe's stories and poems in one volume.

early 19th century horror fiction. I got through a couple stories before losing my taste for it--way more grisly than I remember from my high school readings. ( )
  reader1009 | Jul 3, 2021 |
I haven't read this particular book, but many of its stories.

Regardless of the opinion that others since have done better, as the originator of the detective mystery with the archetypal Dupin, Poe is a must-read.
  quantum.alex | May 31, 2021 |
Tutti i racconti e le poesie di Edgar Allan Poe in lingua originale ( )
  Drusetta | Jan 1, 2021 |
I've chosen to mark this book as "read " because I've read about 2/3 of it. Loved it, of course. ( )
  Chica3000 | Dec 11, 2020 |
Edgar Allan Poe wrote some pretty good poetry, it was certainly not what I expected from him. Less edgy material (although it was certainly there), and a very interesting style. I loved his use of rhyming quatrains, his modern subjects in classic forms, although it's clear he's known for his storytelling and not exactly his command of language-- the exception being the Raven, which was masterful and honestly a lot more powerful than I expected. I only read the poetry section, it dragged a bit but had some hidden gems and worth the time. ( )
  MaxAndBradley | May 27, 2020 |

Edgar Allan Poeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Clarke, HarryIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Doré, GustaveIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dulac, EdmundIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Rackham, ArthurIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Contains

What song the Syrens sang, or what name Achilles assumed when he hid himself among women, although puzzling questions are not beyond all conjecture.

--Sir Thomas Browne, "Urn-Burial."
For my husband
Anthony John Ranson
with love from your wife, the publisher.
Eternally grateful for your unconditional love, nut just for me but for our children,
Simon, Androw and Nicola Trayler
The Murders In the Rue Morgue:

The mental features discoursed of as the analytical are, in themselves, but little susceptible of analysis.
Edgar Allan Poe was born, the second of three children, at Boston, January 19, 1809.
Do not combine "The Complete Tales and Poems" with "Complete Works" in any form (he wrote other things as well), nor with "Complete tales" in any form (since that won't include the poems).

Brings together Poe's stories and poems in one volume.

Edgar Poe was born the son of itinerant actors on January 19, 1809 in Boston, Massachusetts. Abandoned by his father and the later death of his mother, he was taken into the foster care of John Allan, a Virginia tobacco farmer. Now styled as Edgar Allan Poe, he distinguished himself at the University of Virginia but was equally adept at collecting debts from his assiduous gambling. His stepfather's disapproval shattered their fragile relationship and Poe left home to seek his fortune.

IN 1830 he married his cousin Virginia but despite his prolific activities - journalism, poetry, lecturing, short stories, publishing, criticism, and experimentation with fictional genres, including the detective novel which he virtually invented with the publication of 'The Murders in the Rue Morgue' (1841) - he received scant recognition for his efforts until the publication of 'The Raven' (1845). The poem's instant popularity gave him a new visibility in literary circles, but his personal situation remained desperate: poverty, illness, drink and the physical decline. IN 1849 he was found sick, injured and semi-conscious in a Baltimore tavern. Taken to hospital, he lingered on for four days, but he never recovered and on Oct 7th Edgar Allan Poe died at the age of 40.

He was one of the most original writers in the history of American letters - a genius who, thanks to his dire reputation, was tragically misunderstood during his lifetime. It was not until Baudelarie enthusiastically translated his work that he found a wider audience in Europe, and became not only an enormous influence on modern French literature, but also on the acclaimed work of writers such as Dostoevsky, Donan Doyle, and Jules Verne. This volume not only includes Poe's most well-known works but also over 50 of his poems.
A Collection of poems and short stories written by Edgar Allan Poe.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,375,509 books! | Top bar: Always visible