The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan…

The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe (1914)

by Edgar Allan Poe

(Original Review, 1992-12-16)

Can a reader in this and age fully appreciate Poe? Maybe the age of the reader is significant - I first encountered Poe over forty decades ago - in the sense that time on the planet, life lived, experiences felt and understood, are part of the maturing process essential to entering Poe's visions and dream-states. Some of the comments I’ve read elsewhere suggest a fidgety class of pre-adolescents who have lost - if ever they had - what might be called attention spans. Then again, maybe Poe is uniquely American and the Europeans cannot fully grasp him.

And still again, here's another giveaway (from a comment):

"I might also see if I can watch a film adaptation of a story" which implies the commenter in question has never seen any of the Poe adaptations or any of the many, many movies inspired, through the years, by his stories; in fact my jaw dropped when I read that deathless line with its implicit admission - "I might also see if I can watch a film adaptation of a story". Wow. Expecting "scares" and "thrills"... my god, does Poe ever deserve better readers than that? OK dear commenter, I suggest forgetting Poe and taking yourself off to see “The Conjuring”, which boasts some excellent jumps, jolts and scares, plus a lovely performance by Lili Taylor. I think you'll find what you're expecting.

And by the way, Poe was also a sly satirist.

I think writing about the social is important, but a good deal easier than writing about the self. Society is sick and twisted indeed, and always has been, likely always will be. Why? It is because we, as selves, are what make society, and we as selves are rather like blind moles, or more on point, the creature from Kafka's Burrow. Poe peers relentlessly at the self, his "I" is almost always the "eye" (most vividly perhaps in the “Tell-Tale Heart”), and it is looking right inside ourselves. Poe ferociously anticipates the world to come, the psychoanalytic, the alienated, and the murderous. His tales foreground the serial killers, drug addicts, pedophiles, neurotics and psychotics, and the like which have become the commonplaces of our modern artistic and social environment. It is people, selves that create, and maintain, society. We can all point out what is wrong with society, but it's much harder to find the wrongs in our beloved selves.

Raskolnikov seems to me as much a petty, arrogant person with the utmost contempt for all things not himself, as a victim of society. Of course, it's a vicious circle, what we are specifically is engendered and perpetuated by specific societies. But in the end it is always the same. All that redemption in Dostoevsky seems rather naive. Going after Poe, is like going after Freud. Of course, individual human pathology is disagreeable, but it is there, and it is what we are. There is nothing we can do perhaps, but we are all responsible for what we all are.

If Poe had had the idea tools of psychoanalysis, complexes, repression, displacement, and so on, all of which would become literary commonplaces in the 20th century, he might not have been taken to task for his style. T. S. Eliot was outraged that Poe said "my most IMMEMORIAL year" (in “Ulalume”), but Poe in that poem, and in stories like “Ligeia”, “Black Cat”, and “Tell-Tale Heart” was inventing memory repression and he didn't have the Freudian term 'repression' to call on.

He is certainly not schlock compared to ANYONE. ( )
  antao | Nov 23, 2018 |
All Poe in one place with a gorgeous cover, what more could I ask??

See full review here - Reviews for each story still in progress
https://gszengarden.wixsite.com/myliterarysoiree/edgar-allen-poe-books-poems ( )
  LGandT | Oct 9, 2018 |
Good collection of Poe's stories and poetry. ( )
  nu-bibliophile | Jun 25, 2018 |
Well, Mr. Poe's certainly a great writer. I really loved reading his short stories. While I dislike most of his early works (except for "The Loss of Breath"), his later works (1839-1849) work on so many levels. It's no wonder that he inspired so many great writers. His Inspector C. Auguste Dupin (featured in "The Murders in the Rue Morgue", "The Mystery of Marie Roget" and "The Purloined Letter") inspired Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes. Poe's "Oval Portrait", albeit short, inspired Wilde's [b:The Picture of Dorian Gray|5297|The Picture of Dorian Gray|Oscar Wilde|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1424596966s/5297.jpg|1858012]. Some stories, such as "Pit and the Pendulum" and "Premature Burial", instill the fear in you. Poe plays with our fears and brings them to life. He's also very good at writing about guilt as seen in "Telltale Heart" and "Black Cat". There are also some weird "experiment stories" such as "The System of Doctor Tarr and Professor Fether" or one of the best short stories "The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar" (It could've served as an inspiration for Lord Voldemort's name. Yeah, I know, there is that French word theory)
Poe also wrote about revenge in "Cask of Amontillado" and "Hop Frog"

Other stories worth mentioning: William Wilson (doppelganger story), Masque of the Red Death (unavoidable death) and Gold Bug (treasure hunt).

Now, onto the poems. I really like his writing style. I've already known of "Anabel Lee" and "The Raven", but now I really like "The happiest day", "A Dream Within A Dream" and others.

For years I've known Poe as a poet, but I've never read his stories. Now I believe that he's a better writer than a poet. ( )
  aljosa95 | Mar 27, 2018 |
I've reviewed the tales I read by their individual titles, and I won't repeat my reviews here. Let me just say that Poe is an under-appreciated master. Not just under-appreciated by many readers today, for whom he's synonymous with being a sort of proto-schlock-horror writer, but under-appreciated by readers and even famous writers of his day. Henry James infamously said that "[a]n enthusiasm for Poe is the mark of a decidedly primitive stage of reflection." Granted, James was young at the time, but still, that's no excuse. Even worse was Ralph Waldo Emerson's dismissal of Poe as the "jingle man." These writers (whom I otherwise admire) thought of Poe as immature, but I think they make the classic mistake of confusing the writer with his subject. Poe's characters are often high-strung and immature in their way, but Poe is never without an ironic distance from them. Many of the narrators of his tales are classic "unreliable narrators," and Poe wants his readers to see them as such--to see behind the masks they don--and it's there that his tales gather most force. ( )
  MichaelBarsa | Dec 17, 2017 |

The Man That Was Used Up by Edgar Allan Poe

The Fall of the House of Usher by Edgar Allan Poe

William Wilson by Edgar Allan Poe

The Conversation of Eiros and Charmion by Edgar Allan Poe

Why the Little Frenchman Wears His Hand in a Sling [short fiction] by Edgar Allan Poe

The Business Man by Edgar Allan Poe

Hop-Frog by Edgar Allan Poe

Von Kempelen and His Discovery by Edgar Allan Poe

X-ing a Paragrab by Edgar Allan Poe

The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket by Edgar Allan Poe

What song the Syrens sang, or what name Achilles assumed when he hid himself among women, although puzzling questions are not beyond all conjecture.

--Sir Thomas Browne, "Urn-Burial."
For my husband
Anthony John Ranson
with love from your wife, the publisher.
Eternally grateful for your unconditional love, nut just for me but for our children,
Simon, Androw and Nicola Trayler
The Murders In the Rue Morgue:

The mental features discoursed of as the analytical are, in themselves, but little susceptible of analysis.
Edgar Allan Poe was born, the second of three children, at Boston, January 19, 1809.
Do not combine "The Complete Tales and Poems" with "Complete Works" in any form (he wrote other things as well), nor with "Complete tales" in any form (since that won't include the poems).

Edgar Poe was born the son of itinerant actors on January 19, 1809 in Boston, Massachusetts. Abandoned by his father and the later death of his mother, he was taken into the foster care of John Allan, a Virginia tobacco farmer. Now styled as Edgar Allan Poe, he distinguished himself at the University of Virginia but was equally adept at collecting debts from his assiduous gambling. His stepfather's disapproval shattered their fragile relationship and Poe left home to seek his fortune.

IN 1830 he married his cousin Virginia but despite his prolific activities - journalism, poetry, lecturing, short stories, publishing, criticism, and experimentation with fictional genres, including the detective novel which he virtually invented with the publication of 'The Murders in the Rue Morgue' (1841) - he received scant recognition for his efforts until the publication of 'The Raven' (1845). The poem's instant popularity gave him a new visibility in literary circles, but his personal situation remained desperate: poverty, illness, drink and the physical decline. IN 1849 he was found sick, injured and semi-conscious in a Baltimore tavern. Taken to hospital, he lingered on for four days, but he never recovered and on Oct 7th Edgar Allan Poe died at the age of 40.

He was one of the most original writers in the history of American letters - a genius who, thanks to his dire reputation, was tragically misunderstood during his lifetime. It was not until Baudelarie enthusiastically translated his work that he found a wider audience in Europe, and became not only an enormous influence on modern French literature, but also on the acclaimed work of writers such as Dostoevsky, Donan Doyle, and Jules Verne. This volume not only includes Poe's most well-known works but also over 50 of his poems.
A Collection of poems and short stories written by Edgar Allan Poe.

Brings together Poe's stories and poems in one volume.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,101,521 books! | Top bar: Always visible