dismiss

The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allan Poe (1914)

by Edgar Allan Poe

Brings together Poe's stories and poems in one volume.

Edgar Allan Poe wrote some pretty good poetry, it was certainly not what I expected from him. Less edgy material (although it was certainly there), and a very interesting style. I loved his use of rhyming quatrains, his modern subjects in classic forms, although it's clear he's known for his storytelling and not exactly his command of language-- the exception being the Raven, which was masterful and honestly a lot more powerful than I expected. I only read the poetry section, it dragged a bit but had some hidden gems and worth the time. ( )
  MaxAndBradley | May 27, 2020 |
I've read most of the stories and the poetry in this book throughout my life, so this is a must re-read. ( )
  benbrainard8 | Apr 18, 2020 |
(Original Review, 1992-12-16)

Can a reader in this and age fully appreciate Poe? Maybe the age of the reader is significant - I first encountered Poe over forty decades ago - in the sense that time on the planet, life lived, experiences felt and understood, are part of the maturing process essential to entering Poe's visions and dream-states. Some of the comments I’ve read elsewhere suggest a fidgety class of pre-adolescents who have lost - if ever they had - what might be called attention spans. Then again, maybe Poe is uniquely American and the Europeans cannot fully grasp him.

And still again, here's another giveaway (from a comment):

"I might also see if I can watch a film adaptation of a story" which implies the commenter in question has never seen any of the Poe adaptations or any of the many, many movies inspired, through the years, by his stories; in fact my jaw dropped when I read that deathless line with its implicit admission - "I might also see if I can watch a film adaptation of a story". Wow. Expecting "scares" and "thrills"... my god, does Poe ever deserve better readers than that? OK dear commenter, I suggest forgetting Poe and taking yourself off to see “The Conjuring”, which boasts some excellent jumps, jolts and scares, plus a lovely performance by Lili Taylor. I think you'll find what you're expecting.

And by the way, Poe was also a sly satirist.

I think writing about the social is important, but a good deal easier than writing about the self. Society is sick and twisted indeed, and always has been, likely always will be. Why? It is because we, as selves, are what make society, and we as selves are rather like blind moles, or more on point, the creature from Kafka's Burrow. Poe peers relentlessly at the self, his "I" is almost always the "eye" (most vividly perhaps in the “Tell-Tale Heart”), and it is looking right inside ourselves. Poe ferociously anticipates the world to come, the psychoanalytic, the alienated, and the murderous. His tales foreground the serial killers, drug addicts, pedophiles, neurotics and psychotics, and the like which have become the commonplaces of our modern artistic and social environment. It is people, selves that create, and maintain, society. We can all point out what is wrong with society, but it's much harder to find the wrongs in our beloved selves.

Raskolnikov seems to me as much a petty, arrogant person with the utmost contempt for all things not himself, as a victim of society. Of course, it's a vicious circle, what we are specifically is engendered and perpetuated by specific societies. But in the end it is always the same. All that redemption in Dostoevsky seems rather naive. Going after Poe, is like going after Freud. Of course, individual human pathology is disagreeable, but it is there, and it is what we are. There is nothing we can do perhaps, but we are all responsible for what we all are.

If Poe had had the idea tools of psychoanalysis, complexes, repression, displacement, and so on, all of which would become literary commonplaces in the 20th century, he might not have been taken to task for his style. T. S. Eliot was outraged that Poe said "my most IMMEMORIAL year" (in “Ulalume”), but Poe in that poem, and in stories like “Ligeia”, “Black Cat”, and “Tell-Tale Heart” was inventing memory repression and he didn't have the Freudian term 'repression' to call on.

He is certainly not schlock compared to ANYONE. ( )
  antao | Nov 23, 2018 |
All Poe in one place with a gorgeous cover, what more could I ask??

See full review here - Reviews for each story still in progress
https://gszengarden.wixsite.com/myliterarysoiree/edgar-allen-poe-books-poems ( )
  LGandT | Oct 9, 2018 |
Good collection of Poe's stories and poetry. ( )
  Headinherbooks_27 | Jun 25, 2018 |

Quinn, Arthur HobsonIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Scott, Wilbur StewartIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Publisher Series

Contains

What song the Syrens sang, or what name Achilles assumed when he hid himself among women, although puzzling questions are not beyond all conjecture.

--Sir Thomas Browne, "Urn-Burial."
For my husband
Anthony John Ranson
with love from your wife, the publisher.
Eternally grateful for your unconditional love, nut just for me but for our children,
Simon, Androw and Nicola Trayler
The Murders In the Rue Morgue:

The mental features discoursed of as the analytical are, in themselves, but little susceptible of analysis.
Edgar Allan Poe was born, the second of three children, at Boston, January 19, 1809.
Do not combine "The Complete Tales and Poems" with "Complete Works" in any form (he wrote other things as well), nor with "Complete tales" in any form (since that won't include the poems).

Edgar Poe was born the son of itinerant actors on January 19, 1809 in Boston, Massachusetts. Abandoned by his father and the later death of his mother, he was taken into the foster care of John Allan, a Virginia tobacco farmer. Now styled as Edgar Allan Poe, he distinguished himself at the University of Virginia but was equally adept at collecting debts from his assiduous gambling. His stepfather's disapproval shattered their fragile relationship and Poe left home to seek his fortune.

IN 1830 he married his cousin Virginia but despite his prolific activities - journalism, poetry, lecturing, short stories, publishing, criticism, and experimentation with fictional genres, including the detective novel which he virtually invented with the publication of 'The Murders in the Rue Morgue' (1841) - he received scant recognition for his efforts until the publication of 'The Raven' (1845). The poem's instant popularity gave him a new visibility in literary circles, but his personal situation remained desperate: poverty, illness, drink and the physical decline. IN 1849 he was found sick, injured and semi-conscious in a Baltimore tavern. Taken to hospital, he lingered on for four days, but he never recovered and on Oct 7th Edgar Allan Poe died at the age of 40.

He was one of the most original writers in the history of American letters - a genius who, thanks to his dire reputation, was tragically misunderstood during his lifetime. It was not until Baudelarie enthusiastically translated his work that he found a wider audience in Europe, and became not only an enormous influence on modern French literature, but also on the acclaimed work of writers such as Dostoevsky, Donan Doyle, and Jules Verne. This volume not only includes Poe's most well-known works but also over 50 of his poems.
A Collection of poems and short stories written by Edgar Allan Poe.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,295,208 books! | Top bar: Always visible