The Best American Short Stories 2023 by Min…

The Best American Short Stories 2023 (edition 2023)

by Min Jin Lee (Author)

"Without stories, we cannot live well," shares guest editor Min Jin Lee, describing how storytelling affects and nurtures readers. The Best American Short Stories 2023 features twenty pieces of short fiction that reflect a world full of fractured relationships, but also wondrous hope. A lifelong friendship may become a casualty of the Russia-Ukraine war. Rejected by his lover, a man seeks to reconcile with his family. Twitter users miraculously muster enough empathy to help a lost cat find a forever home. Enlightening, poignant, and undeniably human, the stories in this anthology bravely confront societal darkness and offer, in Lee's words, "our emotional truths, restoring our sanity and providing comfort for the days ahead." The Best American Short Stories 2023 includes Cherline Bazile, Maya Binyam, Tom Bissell, Taryn Bowe, Da-Lin, Benjamin Ehrlich, Sara Freeman, Lauren Groff, Nathan Harris, Jared Jackson, Sana Krasikov, Danica Li, Ling Ma, Manuel Munoz, Joanna Pearson, Souvankham Thammavongsa, Kosiso Ugwueze, Corinna Vallianatos, Azareen Van Der Vliet Oloomi, Esther Yi.… (more)
Member:ChrisKubica
Title:The Best American Short Stories 2023
Authors:Min Jin Lee (Author)
Info:Mariner Books (2023), 336 pages

Work Information

The Best American Short Stories 2023 by Min Jin Lee (Editor)

2024 (7)

The Best American Short Stories, edited this year by Min Jin Lee, is a wonderful collection that offers an encouraging snapshot of the state of short fiction today. If you like the short form, this will be a welcome addition to your library.

I sometimes have a hard time explaining to friends why I enjoy these annual anthologies, which includes the essay collections as well. I think reading the introduction helped me to better understand my own rationale. I like short stories a lot but often find myself using them as filler in my days. This doesn't mean I don't value them, but I spend a good bit of time reading, and sometimes I don't want to dive back into a longer work, whether a novel or a nonfiction book, because I just don't have the time. Stories, and essays for that matter, are what I turn to. They offer a short fully contained read while also giving me something to think about when I put it down. I look forward to these annual anthologies mainly because I know I miss so much good short fiction and this both offers me twenty to read now and an additional hundred to find. Those searches usually result in my finding new (to me) writers and new publications I can put on my radar for future reading. If you appreciate the form itself as much as the actual plot in a given story, you'll love this, and other, such anthologies.

I found this collection to be a particularly appealing one, it seemed to be more focused on simply finding good stories rather than necessarily being a themed collection. I love themed collections but when I am discovering new writers I am just as interested in the style and this volume offered me a wide range. I think what does tie these together is the contemporary settings, the fact we understand the worlds most of these characters inhabit, even if also a very different part of the world.

Relatable characters you become invested in, situations that might be different from anything you've experienced yet contain elements that we can all appreciate from similar incidents in our own lives. If these elements of short stories appeal to you, and you want to discover new writers, this anthology is for you.

Reviewed from a copy made available by the publisher via NetGalley. ( )
  pomo58 | Sep 6, 2023 |

Vallianatos, CorinnaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Yi, EstherContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 206,069,290 books! | Top bar: Always visible