The source; a novel by James A. Michener

The source; a novel (original 1965; edition 1965)

by James A. Michener

An archaeological excavation of Tell Makor launches a journey into the history and culture of the Jews that includes the early Hebrews, the impact of Christianity, the Spanish Inquisition, and the modern Middle East conflict.
Member:girlwithsixarms
Title:The source; a novel
Authors:James A. Michener
Info:New York, Random House [1965]

The Source by James A. Michener (1965)

Recently added byMendoLibrary, Colesa, private library, LeonSaundersCalvert, imthemoose01, saliu
    Exodus by Leon Uris (Cecrow)
    Aztec by Gary Jennings (karatelpek)
    karatelpek: Epic and in-depth look at another key region of the world and world culture.

English (47)  Latvian (1)  All languages (48)
A cool concept: historical fiction through an archaeological dig. I learned a lot during the early chapters, but as the story became more modern, oddly the story seemed more old fashioned. Love story was a dude and as always, Michener could have cut about 200 words and still had an epic novel. ( )
  karatelpek | Aug 23, 2020 |
A very, very long book at 54 hours listen time. The reader gets the idea that the Jews have been persecuted since the beginning of human history. Through the tool of a modern day "dig", Michener tells the story--over and over and over again. I got so tired of hearing it, that I skipped large portions of the listen because it would just be the same thing once more, just 300 years later. There are head nods to Jesus and Mohammed through their proxies, but it's really about Jewish persecution. ( )
  buffalogr | Aug 16, 2020 |
I wrote this review in 1969 for a school assignment.

The Source is the type of book one reads until three in the morning. It is lengthy, exciting, and written by one of America's best authors.

It's a story of ancient and modern-day Israel. It takes place at an archeological dig at a 'tell' where people have lived since creation. The Source takes us into every level of civilization explaining how people lived in a story. The main character, if there is one, is the foreman of the dig, an Irish Catholic named Cullinane. His experiences on the dig give him a greater insight into the Jewish way of life, not only from his assisstants but also from the ruins which slowly evolve into Judaism. He does things a good Catholic never woud; sings in the synagogues, falls in love with a Jewish girl, visists Jewish sacred places.

This book can be deeply moving. It is something like the Bible only more related to our times. It tells of miracles and crucifixions, prophets and war, laws and punishment.

I have, through this book, grown to understand the jews more. I know now why they will not eat pork or travel on the Sabbath. It is a fabulous, although archaic religion and I think it is good to understand such things. I cannot say I laughed or cried when I read it but I thought about it for days on end and I think that is the measure of a good book. ( )
  gypsysmom | May 4, 2020 |
Not my favorite Michener, neither the history nor the characters. The he way he ties it all together is impressive, still. ( )
  breic | Mar 8, 2020 |
This is not really a "Novel" it is an anthology linked by the location. Various characters, and several historical eras are bound together. the book contains a bit about archaeology, and a good deal about the Zionism of the 1800 and 1900's. It is entertaining enough for most Michener fans. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Nov 30, 2019 |
On Tuesday the freighter steamed through the Straits of Gibraltar and for five days plowed eastward through the Mediterranean, past islands and peninsulas rich in history, so that on Saturday night the steward advised Dr. Cullinane, "If you wish an early sight of the Holy Land you must be up at dawn."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,598,739 books! | Top bar: Always visible